Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-04-2022, 12:37 PM   #1
DoctorD
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Macomb
Posts: 9
M.O.C. #28048
Burn Marks Behind Microwave

After 4 years, our High Pointe Microwave/Convection Oven died. I replaced the internal 20 amp fuse, but it kept blowing so we needed to replace the microwave. When I removed it, we found the back of the microwave and the wall to be severely burned. Has anyone else seen this? Is this something to be concerned about before we install the new microwave?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	13782  
 
DoctorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:52 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pensacola (mail forward service)
Posts: 3,198
M.O.C. #13740
I would say that microwave had really serious issues. Have not heard of one going meltdown mode, but it must happen on occasion. If it were me, i would just restore the walls tolerance to excess heat by covering that burn area with aluminum tape used by hvac people since it is self adhesive, easy to get, easy to apply. And get a microwave of better quality to replace the onevthat tried to burn down your trailer.
__________________
2012 F350 6.7 L dually, 2013 3800RE with 6 pt leveling, Sumitomo 17.5" load range h tires, Samsung 18 cu ft residential fridge, 8k Morryde I.S. with disc brakes. Full timing since 2012.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 02:40 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master
 
Daryles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Alton
Posts: 2,083
M.O.C. #24086
This is not the first time I have read of this happening. When ours failed (2 years old) we replaced it with a Whirlpool, microwave only, we never used the convection oven function.
We did not see any scorch marks on the wall behind it when we removed the old one.
However, again, we never used the convection oven.
I'm wondering if perhaps using the convection oven causes this wall scorching?
__________________
Daryl and Marianne,
2019 3130re 20th Anniversary Edition
2016 F350 Lariat
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:01 PM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master
 
Foldbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Shingle Springs
Posts: 1,007
M.O.C. #30417
Yikes! That's scary. What brand MW was it?
__________________
Tony & Donna
2022 Montana High Country 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 Dimensions inverter
2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, Demco 21K Auto Slide
Foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 05:53 PM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master
 
jsb5717's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Milwaukie, OR
Posts: 1,242
M.O.C. #23668
With the unit blowing fuses it's possible that it had developed some kind of short that caused the scorching. Since that's what fuses are for then you are fortunate the fuses did their job. I like the idea of using aluminum tape on the wall before installing a new unit...an ounce of prevention...
__________________

Jeff & Sandi (and Teddy - 7lb Schnorkie)
2018 Montana HC 305RL / HW Progressive EMS / Demco Recon Hitch on B&W Ball
2012 RAM 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 SRW / AMP Power Running Boards / Air Bags
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:05 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: McKinney
Posts: 6,640
M.O.C. #6433
Does the High Pointe have a rear vent in that area? My older different brand micro/convection had a metal duct from the rear up the back and across the top to vent that hot air out the front rather than inside the cabinet. I am of the opinion a convection oven must be vented outside the cabinet some way. Microwave only not so much.

That does look scary.
__________________
Bill & Patricia
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:00 PM   #7
sberlin
Established Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: santa cruz
Posts: 25
M.O.C. #22049
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorD View Post
After 4 years, our High Pointe Microwave/Convection Oven died. I replaced the internal 20 amp fuse, but it kept blowing so we needed to replace the microwave. When I removed it, we found the back of the microwave and the wall to be severely burned. Has anyone else seen this? Is this something to be concerned about before we install the new microwave?
Had exactly the same issue. Discovered the old micro had the fan blowing outward which should’ve been connected to an exterior vent pipe. I covered the wall in heat shield and ensured the fan was set for self ventilation-I.e.-blowing to the front.
sberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:59 PM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master
 
Mikendebbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Austin
Posts: 1,823
M.O.C. #21044
DoctorD - just curious…is that black thing in your photo covering up a vent to the outside? My unit has an exterior vent behind the microwave. I have never taken the microwave out so I don’t know what it looks like behind the unit. I went looking for videos showing folks replacing their Highpointe unit - and I found one from a guy replacing his in a Solitude 5th wheel (see screen shot). I noticed there is a heat shield taped to the wall in the same area of your burn mark. There is no vent in this Solitude.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29C46AAD-FEDC-40F3-83EC-74F589EA1E20.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	13798  
__________________
MikenDebbie Aggie ‘77 in the sticks near Austin TX
2019 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW
2018 Montana 3921FB
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:00 AM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master
 
Dave W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,778
M.O.C. #14547
Ours had an actual microwave plus a gas oven not a convection oven. With that said we have a countertop convection oven at the house. It gets very hot, possibly hot enough to scorch wood. I'm of the opinion that an enclosed, generally unvented convection oven with the very thin and low end wood used in RV cabinets is an incorrect application and is a fire waiting to happen.



Yeah, I know, no other oven in these current cost reduced, bottom line directed RVs - but how often is an oven actually used.
__________________
Dave W
2014 Montana High Country 343RL (Sold!)

2011 Ford 6.7 2011 F250 Lariat CCLB
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 08:02 AM   #10
doughazlett
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: WIchita
Posts: 2
M.O.C. #23465
Burn marks on wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorD View Post
After 4 years, our High Pointe Microwave/Convection Oven died. I replaced the internal 20 amp fuse, but it kept blowing so we needed to replace the microwave. When I removed it, we found the back of the microwave and the wall to be severely burned. Has anyone else seen this? Is this something to be concerned about before we install the new microwave?
Grand Design had the same problem with the High Point microwave / convection oven. Their fix was a aluminum plate on the wall behind the unit. The problem was driven when using the convection feature of the micro wave. Haven't heard of any problems since. The fix has been out since 2020 I believe.
doughazlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:00 PM   #11
oeeman
Established Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wenatchee
Posts: 38
M.O.C. #14662
A rule of thumb I was taught by an electrician. If you have to reset a circuit breaker or replace a fuse - never do it more than three times without finding out what the problem is. We had some major problems that could have been avoided by following this rule.
oeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.