Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2022, 12:18 PM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
50 amp power wiring discussions

There are often discussions about 50 amp power and what effect wiring errors might have, including some very recent ones. For anyone who might care, my musings ended up with sketches. Here are some rough sketches of 50 amp power, one wired correctly, and one with one hot and neutral reversed and the effects of that.

The first picture depicts the system when wired correctly. Power company line power can range from 5-7,000 volts and up, 13,800 volts being fairly common for residential. Their individual transformers provide 240 vac power with a transformer center tap that splits that into two separate 120 vac hots. For RV 50 amp power, each of the 120 hots can supply 50 amp power for a total of 12,000 watts of power. 240 vac is in our RVs, but only high end units would typically use anything other than 120 vac.

The first picture shows the two branches of hot with the main 50 amp breaker and sub breakers (15 or 20 amp) for each branch circuit and associated loads. Each branch of 120 vac wired correctly. Example; HOT1 might power A/C1, water heater, microwave, etc. HOT2 might power A/C2, converter, miscellaneous outlets, etc.

The second picture shows the HOT1 wire reversed with the NEUTRAL wire in the shore power receptacle. In this case, the voltage on the HOT1 loads is still 120 vac. The miswire simply reversed hot and neutral. And since this is alternating current (and alternating voltage), functionally the load doesn't really care which wire is hot or neutral. Remember when appliance cords only had two non polarized pins? Some things still do.

But their is a major problem for the HOT2 loads. As the picture shows, the neutral terminal is now connected to HOT1! That means the voltage across the HOT2 loads is 240 vac instead of 120 vac. There is no longer a neutral in that circuit. Not good. Any devices plugged in to that hot would likely be destroyed.

This is where an EMS is great preventing power from passing and damaging the RV. And I would think a surge protector would be able to prevent power from passing also without damaging the surge protector. But one discussion leaves that in question.

Sorry if my little brain takes away from your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EPSON010.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	12759   Click image for larger version

Name:	EPSON011.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	12760  

BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 10:02 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Surge protectors should not be allowed, because they just provide false protection, will still allow damage to the system. EMS devices should be the only protection devices sold. The discussion only covers 120/240 volts AC. Throw 208Y/120 volts AC into a discussion and that will really confuse most people, but there are campgrounds that have this voltage, and the RV does not care, because there are still two 120 volt hotlegs provided.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:50 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We are currently at a RV park where my surge protector shows L1 and Neutral reversed and L2 and Neutral reversed. We Experienced this last year at Shipsawana Indiana. At that time I Tested a few other pedestals and saw the same thing. We reported it to the office. The guy came out with two different plug in EMS and it showed good on his.
We plugged in and had no problems.
This time I got out my multimeter and tested the 50A receptacle.
All readings were normal. We plugged in. So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical RV pedistal voltage.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	12769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge protector L1 neutral reversed meter is good.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	12770  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:34 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
We are currently at a RV park where my surge protector shows L1 and Neutral reversed and L2 and Neutral reversed. We Experienced this last year at Shipsawana Indiana. At that time I Tested a few other pedestals and saw the same thing. We reported it to the office. The guy came out with two different plug in EMS and it showed good on his.
We plugged in and had no problems.
This time I got out my multimeter and tested the 50A receptacle.
All readings were normal. We plugged in. So far so good.
I think you have a bad surge protector. There is really no way to reverse both hots to a single common neutral. That would mean connecting the two hots to the same neutral point, and the excitement following the subsequent large flash!
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:56 AM   #5
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Yes that WOULD be a direct short…but not for long
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote