Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2004, 08:16 AM   #1
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Santa Cruz

We are planning (or at least I am) a family reunion for Santa Cruz area in July 2005. My problem is that I need to provide a list of places with reasonable distance between in the area for RVs, camping, and hotels. It is very difficult trying to get that information online. I have a Santa Cruz travel guide but it has not been of much help. Our problem is that we will also need an area to meet somewhere in the middle. We would like to take our 5th wheel. Does anyone know of a good park close to the beach and other activities they would recommend? When you see the photos online they look good and when you get there you find the photos are old or have left something out. A recommendation from someone who knows the area and has been there would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 03:12 PM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
It's been awhile since we've been to the Santa Cruz area but we remember that the KOA in the area was nice.

They have the Kamping Kabins and I think they have the Kamping Kabins with private bathrooms if desired. I think they also have a couple of those large outdoor kitchens that your group could gather at and cook or eat at, and they sponsor ice cream socials and bingo in the evenings.
The week of July 4th they usually have a parade and extra activities..

Maybe someone else has been there lately and can tell you more about it.

Your whole family could be together whether RVing, camping in a tent or reserving a Kamping Kabin. I do believe the rates are "up there"... but most everything in that area is.

Here's a link to the Santa Cruz/Monterey area KOA:

http://www.koa.com/where/printableve...13complete.htm

Good luck to you.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 05:20 PM   #3
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Thanks for the information. I will check it out. I have some fussy relatives who prefer a fancy hotel, so I am not sure they will go for "camping." Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:07 PM   #4
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Hey toolmanroy... if you find a decent RV park in the Santa Cruz/Carmel/Monterey area that you like... let us know. We could include that in the list of places to consider for a WestCoast MOC meet.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 09:23 AM   #5
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Will do. It is a chore to accommodate everyone. I am the oldest of 25 grandchildren and we are not getting any younger (Roy and I are grandparents to 3 1/2). There are many of us living on the west coast, though we all started out in Mass. Some live in Dan Diego and LA and there are several us here in southern Oregon, so Santa Cruz seemed like a good place to meet near enough for those who might fly in (some from Mass are coming)and also offer some fun for the younger ones with beach activities. The youngest need camping because they cannot afford hotels and some of the others are fussy. We are the only ones with an RV but we really want to take it. I would have no problem doing it here but to try to arrange things in an area I have not spent much time in myself is a problem. I have learned how deceiving online photos can be. I need to get this going before everyone loses interest.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:52 PM   #6
Montana_2016

M.O.C. #2016
The Santa Cruz KOA is very nice and the people there are very helpful. They have a great playground for the kids along with a pool, and a lot of other activities for the kids. It's a favorite of ours,very clean, but it is a bit pricey. As for hotels, check the travel section of the Sunset magazine. They usually have some great specials.
Montana_2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:28 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Our youngest daughter just graduated from Santa Cruz University so we have spent some time there. Since we didn't want to tear down for just one weekend now and then we did the hotel route. Besides with only 6 gallons of hot water (old rig), showers become my main subject and I like to do a hotel now and then. We stayed at the Hilton in Scotts Valley. It was reasonable and about 10 minutes from Santa Cruz. Also San Jose (Los Gatos) is within 20 minutes. The Hilton in Scotts Valley also has some great suites if they want to do some sharing. We are Hilton Honors and we got upgraded to the suites each time we stayed there. I would highly recommend it for your fussy relatives. We've stayed at lots of KOA's and have never been disappointed. They are really great. We are currently parked in an RV park in Morgan Hill which is such south of San Jose and east of Santa Cruz. Our daughter is now in Florida but we email a lot and she spent 2 years there so if you have questions either she or I might be able to help.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote