Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
If you have a surge protector for your whole RV...

Do you still need/do you use those strip surge protectors also inside just for added protection with all your electrical items. We have chosen the portable surge protector like Richfaa has and I was just wondering if we still need the additional protection or if it would be a good idea in any case or not necessary at all. I use them all over in our stick house.

TIA.

Sandi

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Interesting and good question Sandi, I would think not but will sit back and see what the experts have to say. I will do any thing to protect my computer as I have about 15 years of genealogy research and close to 3000 songs on it. Yes, I do have a backup but what a pain if it went down.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Even with the use of my Surge Guard, I still use the strip protectors. That comes from habit brought about by years and years of computer operation and sensitive communication equipment.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Well, I am of thought of you folks, particularly when it comes to my computer and peripherals! They are my "bread & butter" and to lose any of my documents is a horrific experience for me and my clients no matter the reason (BTDT), so just for my own peace of my mind I will continue to use one at least for those items. Can never be too careful when it comes to things of such importance to ourself I don't think.

I guess I was just more curious than anything if it was necessary. I guess I was also taking into consideration that nothing is fail-proof. A unit could go defective without warning! I mean nothing is built to last forever (not in this day and age anyway it seems).
Old 05-04-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think the most protection would be the battery power packs. You actually run off of a battery, powered by the line voltage.
I have an APC on my home computer, when the power goes off, you still have power to the computer for a while.
www.APC.com others make them as well. Nothing wrong with having a surge protection with the power strip as well. I have that too.
My breaker box has a Surge Protector, hard wired spike protection on both legs of my main, the APC, then the power strip.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Ok Ozz, you are speaking to a simpleton here and I know not of which you speak for the most part. LOL I did buy an extra battery for my laptop that gives me about 21/2 hours of use without being plugged in. Since I got my laptop, I have only turned my regular PC on a couple times. I probably will not ever buy a regular PC again. I love the laptop so much. Plus, at this point, I cannot use the ExpressCard with my PC anyway that I know of.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:29 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I agree with Ozz the best protection is a small battery back up ups.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:34 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sandi,
Just plug your laptop 120 volt supply into the battery back up. It isn't like your laptop battery, use the www.APC.com link and read about it, it will clear up your questions.
You can get them at Biz mart, Office supply and other outlets.
Good luck on your preparation for your new life.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:43 AM   #9
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
If you are using an indoor surge protector (and have the outdoor whole RV surge protector) though, do you need the other device your mention for your laptop as well???
Old 05-04-2007, 03:02 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I do use a GOOD strip protector on our PC equipment in addition to the surge Guard..Maybe not necessary but old habits die hard. What Ozz refered to is the best idea and can be had for a reasonable price,,They are called UPS..uninterrupted power source. We have a multi million UPS system in the Air traffic Control center that would keep power up should the primary power be lost. We do have a small one here in the house on our PC systems.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:07 AM   #11
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
I have the 50 amp surge guard and strip protectors for all my electronics in the Monty. Had a lighting storms knock out everything not plugged into one at my stick house twice in one summer was that ever a pain. The only thing that survived were the electronics plugged into the surge protectors. Now I shut down and unplug my computer if a storm comes through when possible. Little extra protection can save years of work on the old PC. One thing about the Monty I love is when the electric goes out the lights stay on. That is if I have the battery switch turned on LOL. Pretty cool........ compared to everyone else in the stick house world.

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote