Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2020, 01:17 PM   #21
BobbyJ
Established Member

M.O.C. #25534
����Thanks!

BobbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:36 PM   #22
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
We dry camp part of the winter at the navy base in key west. nearly all of the RVers us a separate portable generator and not their built in RV generator.

I assume that it is because they use too much fuel or the noise is too great since many run their generator for 10-12 hours a day.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #23
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I use my Yamaha powered Costco 2000W generator on a mount on the rear to power the A/C while traveling and also the microwave. It charges the battery and runs the A/C while camping. If we're going for a ling trip I put the Predator 3500 in the truck bed for long stays and more power.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:29 AM   #24
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474
Getting set up for gens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
What are the issues with the predator? I ask because I use 2 in parallel for years and never had an issue...

Tony
Last2Die - Can you provide some specifics on your gen setup? Which models did you purchase? Are these only available at Harbor Freight?

I did a quick interwebs check and did not see the details I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Dc

decarteaux in Fallon, NV
2008 Montana 3400RL, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Laramie w/Cummins 5.9L 24 valve TurboDiesel. Andersen Ultimate hitch
decarteaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #25
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474
That is an awesome setup. These are Predators from HF, correct? Any issues with long hoses to connect to propane? I assume those are just real long hoses.

Any option for remote control of those gens?

decarteaux in Fallon, NV
2008 Montana 3400RL, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Laramie w/Cummins 5.9L 24 valve TurboDiesel. Andersen Ultimate hitch
decarteaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #26
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Been getting alerts from our place in Florida seems like once a week that the power is out, so I figured it's time to get a generator for our trip down there this winter.

After staring at different options on amazon.com for at least a week I accidentally came across a champion generator at tractor supply. Champion 4500/3650 open frame inverter generator for $499.
It's mislabeled in the title of the ad at tractor supply as a 4000 watt.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...nerator-100892

It's going to be a little louder than the inverters with covers but since I'm only going to use it during power outages I think it will be just fine. 64 dBA.
https://www.championpowerequipment.c...rame-inverter/
Old 10-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #27
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Been getting alerts from our place in Florida seems like once a week that the power is out, so I figured it's time to get a generator for our trip down there this winter.

After staring at different options on amazon.com for at least a week I accidentally came across a champion generator at tractor supply. Champion 4500/3650 open frame inverter generator for $499.

It's going to be a little louder than the inverters with covers but since I'm only going to use it during power outages I think it will be just fine. 64 dBA.
In all the years (just guessing) how often has the power gone out? It's a waste of money to buy something you will never need. Another thing is they are big so do you have a place to store it during summer when you are not there?
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:43 AM   #28
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by milsutter View Post
Bought a new Onan 4500i portable generato...so this should be a reliable one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
I was also looking at going with a 4500w however I felt the fuel consumption was just too much...
milsutter, nice choice. We purchased 2 of them last July and have used them multiple times now. Mostly at home as we do primarily state park camping with electricity. But, I've been bringing them along in preparation for full timing and potential boomdocking. So far, they have not missed a beat. When run in parallel, everything in my Montana can be powered up at the same time and everything works just fine; from the televisions, to the toaster, to the computers, to the air conditioners, to the microwave, including the electric on the water heater. Nothing skips a beat.

I will admit, the only thing we did not try with the generators was our electric blanket. But ... cold weather is now hear, so we'll be dragging it out.

Here's the post I put on when we got ours. I'm alluded to the Onan i4500 on several posts I'm contributed to, and seems there's always negative responses from folks who have never used them. I guess that's to be expected. I did a LOT of research, over 2 years, before I settled on these. I'm very, very happy with them. Combined together, they are awesome!

Click here

I have a feeling the moderators have deleted a LOT of comments out of that post I started that others said. I just went back and checked it, and all the additional comments from others have been removed. Granted it went a little side-bar, but it was all interesting stuff. Go figure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
I was also looking at going with a 4500w however I felt the fuel consumption was just too much...

lightsout, to respond to your post, the i4500 has a gas tank of 3.4 gallons. According to the stats, at 1/2 load it will run for 15 hours. I've never run mine for that long in one session. But this much I do, it's run for 10 hours and the tank was not empty. I don't know how that compares with other generators, but it's OK in my opinion. Now, multiply that by 2 generators in tandem under a full load, and that will most likely consume more fuel, for sure.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #29
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post

If you won't have neighbors and are not concerned about the quality of electricity produced, I would say you made the right choice.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #30
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
In all the years (just guessing) how often has the power gone out? It's a waste of money to buy something you will never need. Another thing is they are big so do you have a place to store it during summer when you are not there?
3 times last winter.

I'm not down there yet but the resort's facebook page has listed at least 4 times the power has went out in the last month and a half.

I have a 16 ft box trailer on my lot that I keep my golf cart in, I'll keep the generator in there in the front. Open the side door and plug my cord in when the power goes out.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #31
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
If you won't have neighbors and are not concerned about the quality of electricity produced, I would say you made the right choice.
Did you not read the part about where it is an inverter generator?

I haven't broke it in yet and listened to it but at 63 dBA I don't think it's going to be overpowering (also watched several videos on it and read reviews) and when the power is out and everyone with a generator is firing theirs up also I don't think I'll be annoying anyone, especially with it being in my cargo trailer.

I guess we'll see.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:42 AM   #32
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
OK I see where this one claims 3% thd. That is in range of pure sine wave. Being an inverter doesn't automatically make it "clean" power. I generally associate Champion generators as suitable for construction site power.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #33
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
...Here's the post I put on when we got ours.

Click here

I have a feeling the moderators have deleted a LOT of comments out of that post I started that others said. I just went back and checked it, and all the additional comments from others have been removed. Granted it went a little side-bar, but it was all interesting stuff. Go figure?............
F.Y.I. No Posts were deleted from the Thread you linked to. Perhaps this might have been on another Forum?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:35 PM   #34
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I broke in the champion 4500/3650 today so it would be ready when we go to Florida.

5 hours. Turned ac on and off, turned microwave on and off, left all lights and 3 tv's on.

It worked like a Champ *pun*

No problems at all.

Now I just need to change the oil, fire it up again and test it a little and put it in the cargo trailer for our trip south. I told the wife the power will never go off in the resort again now that we have it.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:54 PM   #35
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
I just purchased a Cummins 4500i portable generator. My Montana is constructed for an onboard generator, but no more than I would use it, it is just too expensive. I purchased the 4500i at Camping World for $1049. After getting the unit home and putting it in the back of my pickup, I determined that I needed to exhaust the generator outside of the bed. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BUBBA-NONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:43 AM   #36
Ruffuslike
Established Member

M.O.C. #25719
We run with Champion 100297 and it works well for us.
Ruffuslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:01 AM   #37
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
Thanks!
BUBBA-NONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:11 AM   #38
JessicaMcDonald

M.O.C. #29204
Hi, congratulations on the purchase, my older brother uses such a generator and they have an eternal dispute with their younger brother
JessicaMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:28 AM   #39
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
I have a Honda 3000 I carry in my truck. A few years ago, a different member, posted pictures of his setup. He used flexible pipes (he had 2 gens) to run the exhaust away from the truck. I did the same thing and can run the exhaust out the tailgate to the front of the TV. Next upgrade, I want to put a power connection to the front of the 5er. I can then plug in easier from the generator.

Here is a link close to what I used. I got a pipe that just went over the generator exhaust.

https://www.amazon.com/Walker-40000-...68612261&psc=1

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote