Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bradenton Sarasota Florida for Thanksgiving??

Looking for new adventures for 2008 Thanksgiving. Topsail Florida was great for 07 but we are interested in venturing farther south. Any suggestions as to campgrounds and experience with weather at this time of year. Water temperature as well???
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:58 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Take a look at Ft Desoto. This is a county park in Pinellas county. St. Petersburg, on the south tip. We will be staying there for 9 days, 2/1 thru 2/9. I can report on the park following our stay. The park is next to impossible in getting reservations. You can make reservations 6 months in advance, not "one second earlier"! We were up at 12 midnight 6 months in advance to make our reservation. Within 20 minutes, all of the sites were taken. So, we expect this to be a good sign for what we expect from the CG. You can go to the reservation site and they have photos for each of the sites. We Have sites that back up to the inlet.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
bw2,
I was actually impressed and excited about this park.....until.......it became apparent that there were no sewer hook-ups. Unfortunately, at this point in time that breaks dw's cardinal rule of camping. Must have sewer so that washer and dryer can run non-stop while we are camping (that is reality, not a joke!!). We will be waiting for other suggestions in this area, primarily thise with 50 amp full hook-ups.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Watch for the low limbs in Ft. Desoto. Sometimes it like a serpentine course so you don't take off a fridge vent cover. Don't ask me how I know this.
Your right in that there are no sewer hook ups but what a view some of the sites have. It's worth the effort to go there.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
I live in Bradenton near Lake Manatee State Park. There are several state parks in the area, Lake Manatee, Little Manatee River, Oscar Scherer, and Myakka River. All are nice, but no sewer hookups. One of the nicer parks is just north of State Road 64 call Winter Quarters. It's a nice, clean Encore park with pool, rec room, fishing lake, full hookups, etc. Weather will probably be in the 50s at night and 70s during the day. Water temperature in the mid to low 70s. Fort DeSoto is actually a Pinellas County park and it is a beautiful park, but has lots of low limbs, narrow sites, and if you have a long wheelbase truck it can be very hard to manuever a fiver into a spot. Let me know if you need more info.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We are about two hours south of Sarasota. The temps here in Naples around Thanksgiving are in the mid to upper 80's during the day. Don't really know what the water temperature is, but we are only seven miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Our park is an older one, but there are 50 amp hookups. Just let the manager or the office person know that you need a 50 amp. There shouldn't be any problem geting a reservation in November as the park doesn't fill up until after Christmas. The biggest problem we have run into is that the pool heater isn't turned on until after Christmas.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
6.7 CTD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8114
I have been following this thread , and am also interested in rv parks in the Bradenton area, as I have some older friends at Eagle Village (Fraternal order of Eagles),it is a retirement community for F.O.E. members only. They tell me it is really nice place to live........thinking about fulltiming ,and that is the area I would like to go.......even before I retire......maybe even work camp there. so, any more info would really help in my search.
P.S. DW is getting tired of northeast winters.....She wants to go right now........lol
Roger
6.7 CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
You can check out Venice Camp Ground a little further South.Just off I 95 Venice. They have a web site we love it their well managed
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If you are willing to back up I275 a bit to the Clearwater/St Petersburg, Pinellas County area I could be some help.

There are a number of good parks in the area and you have the gulf on one side and Tampa Bay on the other. As for temps, water I can't help, but air temps vary. This year we were as low as 30 and as high as the mid 80's. Most of the days are in the 70's with nights in the 60's.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote