Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2006, 03:37 AM   #1
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Planning for the future, in a Montana.

Now that we are back on track, we are planning for the future and a new Montana is very much a part of it. In about four years we will begin part/full timing. We are going to the local dealer today to look at a 3400 and a 3500 on their lot. Question #1, has anyone ordered the unit with the Onan generator installed or has it been done at the dealer prior to delivery? Question #2, same as #1 except insert washer/dryer in place of generator? Question #3, any advice on siding, Gelcoat vs. Filon? This Montana will be with us for a long time.

Pete, Waltraud (Wally), Brian(Grandson) and Hannah (Big German Shepherd).
2005 Ford F-350 Lariat DRW FX4 Crew Cab 6.0 Turbo Diesel, w/tow boss package, dual batteries and alternators. Reese 16K fifth wheel and a 2005 Montana 2955RL.
IMG]http://i4.tinypic.com/1115lk2.jpg[/IMG

Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 04:59 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
These are my preferences and others may differ.
  • I prefer the 2 manageable Honda 2000 units that can be connected rather than the unmanageable Onan.
  • The washer/dryer is highly desireable for us.
  • We have and appreciate the Gelcoat.

Stiles n Dianna
"Life is an adventure unfolding"
03 3670RL Big Sky
02 Ford F250 Lariat Longbox 7.3L PSD
Hypertech Programmer III
Prodigy

Go to Top of Page

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:08 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I'm in with the Honda's, but something to ponder; Your use may dictate a propane powered Onan, no flammable gas to mess with, (Haul around) piped directly to the bottles, or an extra bottle, secure in the hold, automatic transfer switch, whole house power, many pluses, but, it depends on your needs. What conditions will you be needing a generator? How often, and for what? Cornfused about the substitution of Generator for the W/D, weight concerns? You can have both...The Gelcoat adds weight, I THINK, it's an extra 200# over the regular finish.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
You can order the Monty with or without the w/d, and it can be added to any Monty. It will come prepared either way, if you ask . You can order the gen also. I do not think I ever would, but that is an individual choice. We also have the gel coat and perfer it over the filon.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't know anything about the generators but can address the other questions.

Keystone will do a washer/dryer prep (extra cost option) but does not install the w/d. The dealer does that. We have the w/d in our current rig and will have them in the new one.

We have the high gloss on our 2003. We ordered it on the new one, too. The 2003 has all high gloss including locker doors. The 2007 has high gloss EXCEPT on the locker doors. I have posted about this in the Hey Keystone forum, have called Customer Service, and this morning emailed Keystone with my discontent about the locker doors. I feel the high gloss gives a classier, richer look. Just my opinion. I find it much easier to clean. In many rv parks that do not allow washing the rig I can usually damp rag it clean, unless really muddy. Black streaks are still a problem but are far easier to remove than on our 2001 2880RL without the high gloss. High gloss adds 200 pounds to the overall weight. In my opinion it's worth every pound and every dollar. Except for those darn locker doors. I have a new soapbox, in case that doesn't come through. By the way, my understanding is the high gloss will not yellow over time. But those darn locker doors...

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My next coach will have the Hi-gloss siding. The current coach has the washer/dryer prep, hope to have a stackable unit installed next spring. I am not one who likes to dry camp so the generator is not a requirement for me.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 07:32 AM   #7
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
We don't have a generator, but I can add my two cents in on the W/D combo. I absolutely love it! We have the splendide ventless system. We put it in ourselves. That was really hard and I don't recommend it. Not that the hookups were difficult or anything, but carrying it in to the back of the Monty and lifting it two feet off the floor to put it in the closet was a nightmare! Once it is there, they work like a dream. If your w/d closet is close to the door, you might try it yourself. But the unit weighs 172 lbs and it quite cumbersome.
Good luck!

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniWeather04/language/www/US/MT/Livingston.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Livingston, Montana Forecast" height=50 width=150[/img]
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
It depends on how you travel. Some people like to stop and eat at a restaurant,for us we eat in the unit. I have a remote in my truck so all I do is push a button the generator starts and when we stop the unit is cool inside. It is also nice when you pull into a camp ground at the end of the day you don't have to wait for the unit to cool down.

Dennis & Linda
05 GMC 2500HD Duramax CC
Pullrite Superglide
05 Mountaineer 329RLS
[IMGhttp://i3.tinypic.com/znkncy.jpg[/IMG]
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

It depends on how you travel. Some people like to stop and eat at a restaurant,for us we eat in the unit. I have a remote in my truck so all I do is push a button the generator starts and when we stop the unit is cool inside. It is also nice when you pull into a camp ground at the end of the day you don't have to wait for the unit to cool down.

Dennis & Linda
05 GMC 2500HD Duramax CC
Pullrite Superglide
05 Mountaineer 329RLS
[IMGhttp://i3.tinypic.com/znkncy.jpg[/IMG]
Dennis, I am impressed. This is the first advantage of a generator I've ever thought we would actually use! We are not boondockers but having the rig cool when we arrive, now **that** is a luxury I would enjoy.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:25 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is discouraging to hear that the compartment doors are not High Gloss finish.We did not know that so are glad that we did not order the high gloss as we would have been fit to be tied. The High Gloss is a nice option and in our opinion was primarily eye candy, which is just fine.We noted that the front are rear caps are high gloss on all models. The bottom of the camper is some kind of plastic/ vinyl/ aluminum so all that is High gloss is the side walls and now not even the locker doors,,how about the entry door??We just thought that was a pretty high price for eye candy for us.. We noted a Sunny brook at the C.G we were in this week end ..all High gloss gel coat and it was a pretty sight..

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:48 AM   #11
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Good Luck with your future purchase! I would say that in selecting a 3400 or 3500 or any other model would depend on your activities while living part/full time in your unit and how many people will occupy the unit. I own a 3500 model, and I chose it specifically for the separated rear den. I full-time and I'm single and the 3500 model suits me better than the open floor plans. I enjoy the separate rooms and helps out a lot when I have overnight guest so we both will have our privacy. But in the case of couples, the more open floor plans may be beneficial so that you can see and talk to each other or both watch televison when one is cooking and the other is watching televison. It all boils down to what floor plan will make you feel comfortable living in part-time or full-time. I had the W/D prep and had the dealer install the Combo unit and I love it. I had the generator prep and plan to have one installed for emergency use (power outages), and for locations where there are no electrical hookups like "walmart" (just kiddin). I didn't opt for the high gloss coating or dual panes because of more weight in addition to a generator and W/D. It all comes down to what is more important to YOU. There is no right or wrong decision...it's your decision based on your lifestyle....no different than the options one decides on when they build a new home or purchase a new motor vehicle. Good Luck and I wish you the best! Allison

2006 Montana 3500RL, New Cap Design, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter, LED Running Board Lights
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:06 AM   #12
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Re your questions:

1. We opted not to get a gen or the gen prep. If we decide to get one, it'll be a Honda. If they are half as good as their cars, it'll run forever.

2. Got the w/d prep...just in case we opt for a w/d...leaning that way. It'll be the ventless Splendide mentioned above.

3. Got the gelcoat. Really looks good (but it should for what they charge!), easy to clean, adds about 200 lbs. Most comparable units have it...Sunnybrook (as noted), NuWa, Designer, etc.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote