Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2005, 06:29 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bowie, I missed your comments until I re-read this thread. I did read Sarum awhile back. Very interesting book. I liked it a lot. I started London but got sidetracked and never got back to it. I think it went to the auction when we started fulltiming. I'll have to put it on my list.

Parrothead, LOL. I have not read all Michener's books but he's another one I'll turn to when I'm ready to buy some more books. You are right about his research. And he uses different styles for different areas. Mexico and Texas were written in two totally different styles, in terms of telling the story, as I recall. And both were different from his others.

I finished The Last Juror (Grisham) and have started Baldacci's Split Second. Vicki's not finished Cold Mountain so i can't start that one yet.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:55 PM   #22
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Try "The Summons". One of those really neat unexpected endings.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:52 AM   #23
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Sue ... We've both read 'The Summons' ... the ending was a real page turner ... think about every time I see an Audi TT! Steve has Grisham's newest (can't remember the title) on his waiting-to-come-out-in-paperback list, then I'm sure we'll have a "discussion" over who gets to read it first! I'm waiting for Janet Evanovich's newest to come out in paperback ... her stuff is generally a quick read, but so much fun ... I frequently laugh out loud as I'm reading it. Unlike Steve, I generally read "lighter" stuff, although Grisham, David Baldacci and Nelson DeMille are among my favorite authors.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:54 AM   #24
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Just a thought Steve. Since you all just had time on the Chesapeake, you should try Michener's CHESAPEAKE if you have not already read it. Quite an interesting read if you know something about the area. Ditto for his CENTENNIAL if you have any interest in Colorado. Guess you have enough suggestions from everybody to keep you busy for a while. We sure do. Thanks all. Keep them coming!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:12 PM   #25
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
I ditto Chesapeake. I meant to include that one in an earlier post and couldn't remember how to spell it, so went to look and got sidetracked. My Mother (87 - ex-country school teacher) is also a Michener fan and Chesapeake is her favorite. I've read it 3 or 4 times. That is the great thing about Michener, you can read him again and find things you missed the first time.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:39 AM   #26
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Chesapeake was my first Michener book and still my favorite. I now spend time every year travelling through the area and I always get shivers when crossing the Choptank river. I live in an area that bears a strong resemblence to that tidal marsh area only our is fresh water. We are immediately next to the Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge in northern Vermont and get huge flocks of Canada and snow geese out front of our place every spring and fall. He gave me a real appreciation for and love of wetland areas and their inhabitants.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:52 AM   #27
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I can hardly wait until I can join the book discussion. I work at my computer 10-12 hours a day and after that the eyes need rest. When we camp on the weekends I love finding something to read. That is my idea of relaxation.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:23 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I did read Chesapeake and enjoyed it a lot. Also read Centennial, twice! I even have the video for that one!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:43 PM   #29
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
I love the fact that I have found other Michener fans. Most people say "Oh, No, too long". Several years ago my daughter that is also a Michener fan found a brand new copy of The Source for me because our old one which we had both read and re-read was in shatters. I have 1/2 of a big bookcase full of his books. The only person I ever loan to is family members because years ago I loaned one and never got it back. I buy hardbacks and it will be part of the legacy I leave to my children.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

Most people say "Oh, No, too long".
Vicki and I are just the opposite. I have a list of books I'm watching for to come out in paperback. Other than that list, I first look at the thickness of the book. If not very thick, I move to the next book. The thick books provide so much more detail about the characters and really get you wrapped up in both the characters and the story. When that book is historical fiction in the sense that a few fictional characters are mixed in with real characters in order to envelope you in the history, then that's my kind of book. The thicker the better. My current read is "only" 496 pages, not all that big but not too bad, either. And Baldacci is one of my favorites.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #31
THE BAILEY BEARS
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #300
Enjoying the discussion on books. We both read lots - he reads more historical novels and biographies and I love mystery. Just have read 8 of Harlan Corben's novels and find them all great. If you like mystery, give him a try.
THE BAILEY BEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:11 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Nancy, I thought I'd tell you that after Vicki read your post she asked me to add Harlan Corben to the list of authors I watch for her. She really enjoys mysteries, too.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:05 AM   #33
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
For the ladies out there, Marsha suggests the “Elm Creek Quilts” series by Jennifer Chiaverini since some of you, like her, enjoy quilting. I believe there are about six books in the series and some quilting project books based on the series.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:15 AM   #34
Montana_2895
Established Member

M.O.C. #2895
Reading is my passion - due to my insatiable need for books I don't think I could ever go full time RV because we would have to have a separate RV just for my library!

My favorite authors: Richard Russo (I've read all his works 2-3x-so enjoyable!; Diane Gabaldon; May Sarton and Wallace Stegner. I've been really getting into United States history lately - current and early American. Just finished An American Soldier by Tommy Franks. Very good and Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow (boy, that was a hefty book!)

I love the written word but when driving I am a big fan of Books on CD. I belong to Simply Audio (works just like NetFlix) and also download books on my MP3 through Audible.com (also can download to stream through on your computer.) In addition, I have over 100 books on my Treo. As you can probably tell, I love to read!

I just signed on with bookcrossing.com but haven't shared any yet because I didn't quite understand it. I'll check it out now that I know a little more.

Happy Trails to everyone!
Montana_2895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #35
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
We, too, are readers. Before we went full-timing we had a huge library, and most of our hardcovers made it into storage -- just couldn't part with them... Among those, btw, were Centennial (my all-time favorite Michener) as well as some of his others.
At that time also, when we still had a "local library", we would check out audio books and listen to them on trips and at home.

Glenn is into fantasy, and knows the Lord of the Rings by heart. I read a lot of non-fiction, but also enjoy the other. We're both big fans of Grisham and Clancy, and I ate up the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons.

Btw: I've been reading eBooks for several months now! New ones are about the same price as paperbacks, and old ones (classics, for example) may be free or very cheap. One source is ebooks.com. I read on a Palm device, and find it faster reading, than if I had to hold a book. It's lit, too! And I can have 10 or more books in there at a time, so I don't have to lug them around. And they weigh NOTHING!!!

KK
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:40 PM   #36
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
One more thing: check out half.com and alibris.com, both great sources for low-cost books! They even have textbooks, which are hard to find, and usually VERY expensive!

KK
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:30 AM   #37
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
KK, if Glenn appreciates fantasy, I would like to suggest a series that has received little play in the United States as of yet, but is huge in England and has some following in Canada, I believe. The author’s name is Steven Erikson, and the series is called the Malazan Book of the Fallen. Currently, there are five books released in England with a sixth scheduled for February 2006. Only the first two have been released here, however, with the third scheduled for release in October, with others following every eight months.

Though the setting is a world of fantasy of Erikson’s own creation, the back story is impressive in its historical scope. The closest current writer to whom I can compare the series is George R. R. Martin, who, if he has not read, I would highly suggest.

I could not wait for the US releases, so I ordered the British versions of books 3 through 5. A side note to Michenor fans: if you like long novels, the current one I am reading—Erikson’s third book in the series which is in British mass market paperback—is just shy of 1200 pages!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:57 AM   #38
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
J.D., and that might be..... what book?
thanks.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:19 AM   #39
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Sorry, Steve, I will adjust my post above to point out that the book I am reading is the third book in the Erikson series, Memories of Ice. Just goes to show that what is crystal clear to the writer is as murky as a slow Georgia river to someone else!
Old 06-21-2005, 04:28 AM   #40
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Ah! Reading! One of my favorite past times. I wish I had more time to read. One of life's delicious pleasures spending all day reading a good novel that you don't want to put down. Some of my all time favorites.....

The Prince of Tides (don't even think of the movie) This book had humor, human drama and great character development) (It's thick too, Steve)

John Irving's earlier works (great character development and humor)

I love most novels written by Journalists. The a very well trained writer's, are often witty, and have an interesting view of things. They also include good historical facts in their novels. Great character development.

Bill Bryson (Walk in The Woods is his most popular, but if you are so inclined to learn and be entertained, check out "Made in America" (an informal history of the English language in the United States) A slow start but better and better as the years go by! Bill Bryson is good!

The "Orchid Thief" by Susan Orlean. A great read if you have ever thought about or do grow orchids or spent any time in SE FL.

"The Ole Ace in the Hole" by Annie Proulx (wrote the Shipping News) A great read and filled with TX and OK history. Great character development.

Do you see a pattern here?

Right now there is not a Book-crossings book within 50 miles of me. I love finding those books.

So much to read and so little time.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote