Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #21
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Wordsmith, as you know, we have the same model and year as you, 2003 3295RK. We also have the sat prep. The outside sat connection on ours is on the kitchen slide, near the entry door. Just about behind the tv.

Also, on the bedroom closet wall just below the TV where you have the cable tv connector and boost button -- next to that is another wall plate with another connector. Below that one is a sticker that says 'satellite prep.'

If you don't have these then you probably do not have sat prep. It was an extra cost option.
Well, Steve, I have nothing on the outside slide except the twin power receptacles behind the electric fireplace, and next to the cable boost button in the bedroom is an electrical outlet. Obviously, the upgrade for satellite was not a part of our camper. Thanks for the info; at least we ruled that possibility out.

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:02 AM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
J.D., it does sound like you do not have the sat prep. We also have the outlet, so there's three wall plates there.

I emailed you back about the possibly getting together. Not sure how much driving time we're talking but maybe we can figure it out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #23
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
re: satellite connection

I also have a 3295 that didn't have the satellite connection. I was able to easily add one. I drilled a small hole in the back of the cabinet above the television and fed an RG6 cable down there. I was able to catch it by taking out the access cover that is just behind the pull-out trash bin. From there I drilled a hole for the RG6 from inside to outside and installed an external connector that I had bought from a camping supply store. I have pictures of that and other improvements in the following URL. The satellite pictures are called something like satellite inside and satellite outside.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v172/k...0Improvements/

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have other questions

PS: I also sent an e-mail to Wordsmith

Karl Galstad
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Charlie..Have seen folks with the dish 500..Skew is a fine adjustment..works fine..The important thing is level,level level.We use two levels on our tripod up and down..side to side.Close is not good enough. When we get on the road semi-full time we will be using the satellite for TV and computer access. We use the Pc to pay all our bills we need access all the time..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #25
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Steve, I just sent you an e-mail about getting together. Yes, we only have the two wall plates in the bedroom. Karl’s pictures are very useful into what I might can do to establish a satellite connection on our unit. Karl, thanks for the e-mail.

Once again, I want to thank all of you here at MOC who have offered ideas, as well as those of you who e-mailed me with instructions for satellite prep on the dish and the 3295RK, Charlie and Karl. You are a wonderful group of people, and it is a joy to be a part of this community. Is it any wonder that I find myself spending an increasingly large chunk of time here?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:03 AM   #26
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Okay, I need to dust off this thread again. First, thank you to all of the people who offered help through this thread or the PMs and e-mails. The holdup until now had been my reticence to drill a hole throught he side of the Montana; I overcame that a week ago and completed the wiring, much as Karl suggested in his 3295, drilling through the wall behind the trash receptacle and running it up above the television. That is done, and I learned I am not as inept with power tools as I thought. I also have have Charlie's e-mails printed out and the next step is to actually try hooking this thing up.

But...you knew that was coming didn't you?...there is one thing still bothering me. There are two cables coming from the LNBF on our DishNetwork 500, one saying 119 and the other 110, referring to the satellites, I presume. Do I need to use both or can I survive with just one?

As always, your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:19 AM   #27
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
three years ago friends of ours who are full timers suggested that instead of a tripod we get a Bullseye Dish mount:

we've cover almost 40,000 miles since then and have been in some pretty strong storms that have flattened every tent and tripod in the campground ... our Bullseye has never been affected by high wind and still consistently provides us with a rock solid and easy to set up dish mounting system

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #28
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
JD-
My system is a Dish 500 and the receiver is a Model 4900. The remote is UHF, not line of site infrared. I use only one cable from the LNB regardless of which receiver I take out of the house. I don't know the model number on the other receiver, it is an older model. My guess is you should be able to get by with only cable. There was a thread a few days ago on this same subject and Worknomore has one of the newer dual tuner receivers and he tested the system and it will not work with only one cable. He disconnected and errors showed on the screen....search for "satellite dish" and you can see our discussion.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #29
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Jim, Back when I was soliciting ideas on set up and installation, I stumbled across the Bullseye on RV.net. It looked like a winner, especially as repeated people indicated that the tripods could become unstable and I did not want to go the homemade route. I went ahead and bought it and am just waiting to put it to use!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #30
Montana_4545

M.O.C. #4545
What you need is an electronic switch.(SW21) It is usualy located close to the dish. Both cables connect to it. A single cable runs from the switch into your RV to the receiver. Allows both satellites to be fed into the "home" on a single cable. You will need to go to the setup menu after hooking up and run switch check before you can watch TV. Lets the receiver figure out where the signals are after you set it up. Have to get it on the satelite first.
boblalonde
Montana_4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #31
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Wordsmith, I'm glad the suggestions and the pictures helped.

If you have the dual LNB, it will work just fine using just one Cable. We have done that several times. If you wish to send the signal to more than one receiver, however, you will need to use both. We have just added a second outside connection right next to the first one (that was described earlier) In that way, we will be able to use both "receivers" that are integrated into our TIVO unit.

We could add a receiver to the bedroom set, but we don't plan to do that. If I need to, I can send a signal to the bedroom TV by using a splitter on the output that goes from the TIVO unit to the television or use the component audio and video connections from the TIVO to connect to the Living Room TV and the RF connection to send the signal into the bedroom.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #32
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wordsmith

Jim, Back when I was soliciting ideas on set up and installation, I stumbled across the Bullseye on RV.net. It looked like a winner, especially as repeated people indicated that the tripods could become unstable and I did not want to go the homemade route. I went ahead and bought it and am just waiting to put it to use!
am sure you will find you made an excellent choice ... as already stated we have used our extensively and it has ridden out many storms that leveled other types of dish mounts

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:14 AM   #33
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wordsmith

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. First, let me confess that I have never actively pursued cable/satellite jargon too much, so if I come off ignorant, that is why. I suppose I spent too much time learning desktop publishing jargon and a fair amount of that pertaining to Macintosh computers.

A few things about our 2003 3295RK. It only has one receptacle for a cable coaxial (?) wire, not two and it is not labeled for satellite; in fact it is not labeled.
For what it's worth, our 2000 Montana only had one input also, and that was for cable. You cannot, cannot hook your satellite antenna input into the cable input. The antenna preamplifier interferes with the satellite signal when connected this way. I've seen many RVers who have run their satellite cable into their rig through a window with great success.

However, being full time, I went to Radio Shack and told them what I wanted to do and they sold me the connectors and hardware needed to mount a permanent connector to the external wall of my rig. In the 2000 Montana, the TV, computer desk, VCR, and satellite receiver are all in the curbside slideout. So, I drilled the appropriate size hole (I don't remember the size, just big enough for the feed-through connector to get through to the inside of the external slideout wall. I then installed another feedthrough connector on the back wall of the slideout into the entertainment center. I connected these two newly installed connectors together with a 3 ft piece of RG-6 cable (purchased from Radio Shack - about $14.00). Be sure that the outside connector is designed for the outside, i.e. is an external connector. Seal all around with good caulk. Mine has been installed for four years now and still works great. The external connectors have a cover that folds down when the the connector is not traveling -- like when you're traveling.

Inside, I merely used another 3 ft piece of RG-6 and connected between the new feed-through connector and the the satellite receiver.
Hope this helps, Good Luck
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote