Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2005, 05:25 AM   #1
Montana_1362
Established Member

M.O.C. #1362
Am I crazy or what?

My lovely wife of 34 tears has convinced me that it would be a good idea to take her parents (both in mid 70's) who have never camped or tt'd, on a loonnggg distance trip to ogden utah from michigan this summer. helppp!!

Montana_1362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:07 AM   #2
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
On the one hand-- what a wonderful way to re-connect with family memebers (that's the Prozac answer).

On the other hand-- Cheryl and I firmly believe in the old RV addage, "Drinks for six, dinner for four, sleeps two!!"

Guess you'll find out just how much you love your in-laws! Good luck!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:20 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I would have to say that this will break or make relationships. Might we suggest a long weekend as a tryout??? See how they like it, how the adjust to life in a RV???

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:00 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gotta go along with Carol on this one. And it's not only "See how they like it, how they adjust to life in a RV" it is also how you ALL adjust to each other.

Years ago Lorraine and I went to on a week long vacation with her parents. Without going into details we have NEVER done that again. Don't much care about how well you get along normally an extended stay on a loonnggg distance trip can make or break a marriage. I love Lorraine's parents as my own but no way will we ever do that again.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
So..who's gonna sleep on that hide a bed??? My sympaties to whoever draws the short straw.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:22 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Ouchie Gruffy!! Seeing that we ditched that sofabedfromhe*%, they also have my sympathies!

A situation like this is a test of boundaries, physical as well as emotional. Some families have strict boundaries in place and respect them. Other families vary in strictness and the amount of "enforcement".

It will also depend on how the inlaws see change, challenge, how spirited they are. Are they the kind of folks that will go biking, hiking, love a new challenge. Or, are they very set in their ways.

Hey, maybe they don't even want to go??

Good luck. My call, if they are the type that love adventure, respect you and your wife as a married couple, can respect some privacy/boundary issues, then, GO FOR IT. Take lots of photos, write a journal, keep track of the experience. It will be a priceless "heirloom" to pass down to the grandchildren.

If, they are on the other end of the spectrum, good luck and oouchieeee, it might be a long summer/trip. Groan!

Good luck,

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:23 AM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
And I can't resist saying, "Here is the perfect example of the need for privacy doors." Their presence could be a "make or break" in itself. We have had overnight guests on a couple of occasions and these doors make for a good night. (Especially when two old men are involved on each side of the doors.)

BTW, I am nearing my mid 70s. If Mom and Pop are in as good a shape as I, there should be no problem traveling with them!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:31 AM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
So when do you give up your nice comfortable bed, and use the dinett or folding couch? (OUCH)-C. Very uncomfortable to sleep in for one, I hope that you and you wife are small people for that couch (OUCH)-C.
If it was me I would take my family and when you get to your destination put them up in a hotel for the nights, that way they will have their privacy and you yours, then get them in the morning to spend the day with you guys at RV Camp.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
A good foam pad can make a world of difference on that sofa bed but no way would I make anyone sleep on the original mattress. Our oldest granddaughters were very tactful in the way they informed us of the very uncomfortable mattress, bless their hearts.

I have to agree with the others to maybe do a short weekend to make sure this is going to work. Getting well into a long trip and having things not go well would not be something I'd want to happen. Nor would I want to have to come up with a reason for heading home early should the guests not realize it's not working.

I'm not sure of how much "camping" you folks have done to this point. If you are new to it there will be plenty of adjustments involved with that first long trip for just the two of you. If you go for this trip with the four of you I hope it works out for you. It just might but only you have a feel for that. Good luck! Let us know.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #10
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Daniel, Only you and your wife can make this decision. As others have said, there are many things to take into consideration. How well do you get along with the parents on a daily basis when not in an RV? Do you enjoy enough things incommon to make it an enjoyable trip? Do all four of you enjoy sightseeing? hiking? fishing? Are the parents in good physical health? I know it is a tough decision, but it could be a trip of lasting memories in years to come. I say this from experience. Several years ago my parents had a small "turtle top" motor home. They were both in their early 70's and my dad wanted to go to British Columbia (from WV). I did not want them to make that long trip alone so Tom & I volunteered to join them and share the driving. We had a wonderful trip and the memories we share now are so precious to us. You see now we have a nice big Montana and would love to be able to take them on a trip, but my father, now 87, is suffering from altzheimers and we do not feel it would be safe to travel with him. If you decide to make this trip, be sure to keep an open mind and cherish the good times. Sometime in the future, many years down the road, you may even be able to laugh about the "bad times" but I assure you... you will be thankful for the memories. Our trip was for three weeks and we did lots of fishing with my dad. It was close quarters at night when bedtime came, but we somehow managed. Just wanted to pass these thoughts along to you for consideration. Good luck in whatever final decision you may make and keep us posted.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 04:45 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I love my family, all of them. Two brothers and families, three children, and Nine grandchildren (one new boy born just this evening), but we have a philosophy about relatives. This philosophy is rule of thumb if we visit or relatives visit us. It is called, "The Three Day Rule".

It runs like this: "relatives and fish both begin to smell after three days." When we visit, we enjoy arriving about noon on the first day and visit all the second day, and then leave by noon on the third day. This rule worked very well and kept relationships fresh even with a mother-in-law with whom relationship would have been strained otherwise.

Each time we get together, we pick up right where we left off on the last visit. We laugh, catch up on news, enjoy meals, and go away wishing we could spend longer. This makes us want to come again.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #12
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Dear survivor2:

I can only give input based on my personal experience -- and based on my personal experience -- my answer to your question, "Am I crazy?" would be a big yes.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:23 AM   #13
Montana_1362
Established Member

M.O.C. #1362
Thanks for the input, my inlaws idea of camping is the holiday inn. so the long weekend is a good test. we'll give it a try in the u-p, this spring.
Montana_1362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:34 AM   #14
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
WOW!! Reminds me of our trip from Az. to home in Ontario 3 yrs. ago. Ann's mom flew into Pheonix and we toured Az., Los Vegas, Utah, Grand Canyon area, Sedona and then home with her. She had never travelled in a truck, let alone a 5th behind. She was a terrific sport (80 yrs old). She went along with everything and kept up to us. The hardest part of the trip is the travelling from point a to point b. What can you do in a truck, besides crossword puzzles, etc. for all those miles. You notice I said Ann's mom. Ann's dad isn't with us anymore but I do know that we wouldn't have made that trip with him along. You can take what you want from that but believe me, I definitly wouldn't cave on taking them both. We loved them both dearly but not that much. As I said, Mom was great alone. We also have an adult handicapped son that travels with us so we used a blowup mattress on the floor for the extra bed. Mark slept on the sofabed and she insisted on using the air mattress. Everyone had a great time and she stills talks about that trip. She has been to Europe many times, but she thinks that trip was the trip of a lifetime.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:51 AM   #15
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Bill and Ann, thanks for your beautiful message about Ann's Mom. It is especially beautiful to me because it brought back some wonderful memories of Shirley's Mother traveling with us. On a couple of trips we stayed in backpacking tents (that was before our Montana days). Our daughter and her "Gango" slept in one small tent (on pads on the ground) while Shirley and I slept in another. Mrs. Sanders was the greatest sport of all (She was in her 80s at the time). She has been gone now for over five years, but those memories are all pleasant ones. Thank you for bringing them back to me.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:05 AM   #16
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Agree with Joyce H that only you and your wife can make that decision. There are sooooo many factors that enter in - the boundry issues, health of parents, etc., etc., etc. I agree that it would make wonderful memories if all goes well. You might want to consider having plane tickets back to Michigan from Ogden for mom and dad, just in case things don't go well or they decide they don't want to make the return trip in the Monty - worst case scenario.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote