Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
Ironman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1703
Send a message via AIM to Ironman Send a message via Yahoo to Ironman
Spare Fuel Tank

We are looking for some input on purchasing a fuel tank for the front of our truck bed approximately 100 gallon. Suggestions welcome.

Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:04 AM   #2
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
As far as I know Transfer Flow has the only in bed tank that is legal to run on. They are located in California but they have service centers around the country. We have their replacement tanks under the truck. They seem to be a high quality component. Probably a little more expensive than there competition. www.transferflow.com hope this helps
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
100 gallons of fuel is going to be a lot of extra weight. You might want to consider a mid-range size tank. I have a 36 gallon extra tank on my rig and you can tell a difference in weight. Just a thought. Good luck with whatever you do.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Like Hamrad says, a lot of weight. Diesel is almost 7 lbs. per gallon. Even towing you should get 10-12 MPG, that would be over 1000 miles not counting the fuel in the main tank - a long way between pit stops. What is your reason for needing such a large aux tank? Just curious. Happy camping !!
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Some states/provinces limit the amount of fuel in the box. Slipper tanks must be bolted to the frame, hazardous material signs must be posted on the vehicle etc.

The issue seems to be the liability in the event of a spill due to accident or malfunction.

Better check with your local licenceing aithority and your vehicle insurer ... they may void your coverage in the event of a spill and subsequent clean up.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:23 AM   #6
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I like the idea of the replacement tanks. I was once considering the in the bed type but finally discounted them after much input from folks on this site and one for Dodge/Cummins Diesels. I think replacing the OEM tank with a lrger one is a great idea.

Thanks for the website tbhd
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:54 AM   #7
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We really love ours. Also, the problem with the early Ford diesels was that the filler necks had restrictors in them like for the unleaded fuel nozzles and we couldn't fill up at truck stops because the filler nozzles wouldn't fit in the necks. When we took our first trip, we went out west and trying to find diesel fuel with the small nozzles was a serious problem. Almost ran out a few times and wasted a lot of time going from truck stop to truck stop trying to find the one small nozzle they claimed to have and most times didn't. Transfer flow has the replacement necks that will accept the large nozzles. Now we have the option of filling when we find a convenient place to stop.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:10 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm happy to say both our '03 and '05 Fords accept the large fillers. And do they ever fill the tank quickly. I just try to look at the gallon numbers and not watch the dollar numbers moving so fast. I have no idea what year they went to the larger filler neck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 09:03 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
You are one lucky guy... Come on Chevy and get those larger filler necks installed. That is really my only complaint with the Duramax, I really have to pay attention at the truckstops to find the "car diesel pump". Oh well, if that is my biggest problem I guess I am doing alright. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:46 AM   #10
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
My Dodge has the larger filler but I still use the car diesel pump. With the high flow nozzle the fuel foams so much you spend most of your time waiting for the foam to disappear so you can fill some more. Foaming still occurs with the car nozzles but not as much.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 03:09 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Steve,
You are one lucky guy... Come on Chevy and get those larger filler necks installed. That is really my only complaint with the Duramax, I really have to pay attention at the truckstops to find the "car diesel pump". Oh well, if that is my biggest problem I guess I am doing alright. =)
It is my understanding that the 2005 Chev/GMC now have the larger fill neck. Not 100% sure but this is what I was told by a new owner of a 3500.

I love my 2500HD short bed but if there was one thing I'd change it would be the size of the tank and the fill neck. Having said this I just heard a commercial down here where GM is giving 60 months at 0% interest on all 1500s, 2500s and 3500s including the Duramax. Might take a ride to the local dealer and see what I can do on a 3500. The 2005 3500 would give me more pin weight as well as additional hp and torque. If I go to the long bed I would also get more fuel capacity.

HHHHMMMMmmmmmm, Me thinks it's time to put on my negotiating hat.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:44 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Glenn, you must be thinking of getting a new Montana? For sure, we find the 2500 completely adequate in every way for our 2955. We do have the regular long bed, 2 wheel drive (both of which I prefer). We got our present Chev with 0% financing. Sure sounds good. I may make a visit to our dealer here.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:22 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
David, it's not that I find the 2500HD inadequate, quite the contrary, it is more than up to the job. It's just that I can see a chance of upgrading with little or no increase in monthly payments. You see I bought my Chevy thru a dealer who is a very close personal friend. The truck was a leased vehicle with just 8600 miles on it. The truck came out of Canada and thru my buddy I bought it wholesale saving a bundle. Some of the 03's on the market today are priced considerably higher than what I paid 18 months ago.
I figured I could upgrade to a 3500 long bed giving me a larger fuel tank, greater HP and torque, the long bed AND I would be ready for that eventual Monty upgrade. I would stay with the 4X4 as it has gotten me out of a number of muddy or sandy situations and it would also be a SRW.
Besides I would also get a white one so that I could get some Montana graphics to dress it up like I seen done at the rally.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:28 AM   #14
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Makes good sense to me. Good luck on your visits. If you are like me, once you start looking ---LOOK OUT! There is no turning back.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:06 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Brad, I guess I've not seen that foaming problem. I usually run the nozzle on it's highest setting then stand back in case it kicks back when it shuts off. I then run some more fuel into the tank until I decide it must be full. I do this with auto diesel nozzles as well. If it were not really full I'd probably notice it coming off the full mark more quickly after a large nozzle fill but I've never seen that. But I will keep that in mind when filling with those big nozzles.

Glenn, our shortbed could use a larger tank, too. It's just 29 gallons. But we find that we're ready to get out and stretch after a few hours anyhow, or make a nature call, so it's not been a big deal to us. Plus, our normal driving days don't see us stopping for fuel more than once anyhow. The time a larger tank would be advantages to us is when I find a particularly good diesel price but it usually seems I find a better price shortly after I filled the tank.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #16
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Hey gang, my 04.5 Silverado has the large filler neck. I fill mine all the time at a local truck stop. The foaming is a problem. But,I just fill it slow. I have also discovered, and maybe this is just in my head, that the fuel I buy at the truck stop helps it run better than fuel I buy at the gas station. And the cost is usually a few cents cheaper. Does it have something to do with the way the fuel is blended for the OTR 18 wheelers? Or is it because it is turned over more often and doesn't get a chance to go stale.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 03:18 PM   #17
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we filled our new 2005 silverado for the first time today. no problems at the regular truck stop pump--except it did foam some and made a little mess but we will learn. we understand that the gas stations can have fuel that is a little stale and our mechanic said it was best to fill up at truck stops as the turn over of the fuel is greater there--also it is blended according to the current weather temperatures.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:05 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tell me about the foam. Is the foam because of stale fuel or is it just because of the speed and movement from the larger nozzles? I usually run the nozzle on the highest setting. I've not seen the foam but maybe that's because the nozzle fills the hole? I usually continue to pump for awhile after the auto shutoff, if that makes any difference.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:22 AM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It has to do with the higher flow and other than occasionally coming out past the nozzle and running down the side of the truck it is not a problem. However, it is recommended that the engine NOT be running while fueling. Besides the obvious fire hazard you want the engine shut down so as not to draw any air into the lines. The foaming is actually air bubbles and these air bubbles can be drawn into the lines especially so in a near empty tank.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:25 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hmmm, interesting. Thanks, Glenn. I've had a sudden shutoff of the pump cause a kickback of fuel that then runs down the sides, a time or two. Maybe that's foam. Thanks for the info.