Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #1
ejmilton

M.O.C. #23380
Bugs

We live in South Texas and have bugs everywhere. I found what I think are stink bugs in my RV, any idea how to get rid of them? Thanks in advance,

Eddie Milton

ejmilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Eddie,

Bug spray like you would use in your house.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Nothing will kill stink bugs. Freezing them makes them sluggish but I have seen a few that survived a hard freeze so that isn't a sure thing. We just sweep them up and throw them outside and I suspect that most of them come right back in. They do love waiting under the slide covers to ride in on it.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I catch them and flush them into the Black Tank, figure Stink Bugs = Blank Tank.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Catch them and collect them in a coffee can. Then release them just before you leave in the camp of that person was was a PITA.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
Five O'clock Somewhere
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20168
Living in GA stink bugs are a way of life for at least 6 months of the year. Best way of dealing with them is giving them names and making them pets.

Sorry for the bad news.
Five O'clock Somewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The good news is stink bugs have a fungus that kills them so says Virginia Tech. They have graduate students who study them. They trapped them on a neighboring farm and collected many less this year. They even grow peppers to feed them.

We had thousands of them 3 years ago. I got them up with the vacuum cleaner. This year we had a few. Relief is coming.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #8
Al D.
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22417
I use a solution on Dawn Dishwashing Soap and water. Spray it on the stink bug and watch them die. It's kind of fun.
Al D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
We go around with our cordless vacuum and suck the critters up. It doesn’t kill them, they just stay in the canister until you empty it. They are a tough one to kill.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:32 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We fill a plastic soda/pop bottle and fill it half full of water and then add some Blue Dawn dish soap to the bottle and shake it up. We keep the bottle handy in the unit and when we see one, we remove the cap, catch the stinkbug in the bottle top and seal the bottle again. Shake the bottle and let it sit and watch the little buggers try to swim in the soap water and eventually give up and drown. We've caught them after leaving the Monte in below freezing temps for two or three months so they are a tough critter but can be eliminated. Good luck with your conquest.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:12 PM   #11
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
stink bug trap

Watch this video...youtube "Best Stink Bug Trap Ever".
I do not have a stink bug problem so I have not tried this myself.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...TF-8#kpvalbx=1
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:46 PM   #12
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslopez65 View Post
Nothing will kill stink bugs. Freezing them makes them sluggish but I have seen a few that survived a hard freeze so that isn't a sure thing. We just sweep them up and throw them outside and I suspect that most of them come right back in. They do love waiting under the slide covers to ride in on it.
The farm store here sells something called Tempo. It kills stink bugs and Box Elders, ants, and the like. Leaves a residual. But I don’t think I’d spray it on the outside surface, but it works!

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:03 PM   #13
paul01
Established Member

M.O.C. #21043
Stink Bugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejmilton View Post
We live in South Texas and have bugs everywhere. I found what I think are stink bugs in my RV, any idea how to get rid of them? Thanks in advance,

Eddie Milton
Take a Stink Bug in your hand set the bug on a brick take another brick and set it against the other brick.Hold your nose and step on brick,Problem solved,
(Seriously I have tried every thing short of nuclear war and they still survived)
paul01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:18 PM   #14
Macattack

M.O.C. #14653
We lived in MD several years ago when stink bugs first entered the US in Allentown, PA, then propagated widely from there. The first few years we we inundated with them both in the house and in the camper. We bought a small battery-operated vacuum just to collect them. Since then, their numbers have decreased yearly until last year we only had a few. They arrived here from a tropical climate, maybe Thailand or Vietnam, and my theory is that they don't tolerate the Mid-Atlantic winters very well and are slowly migrating to warmer southern climates. The research at Va Tech seems to support this theory. Ordinary household bug killers won't touch them, but there are products available that will. Two are Syngenta's demandCS and Martin's Viper; both are concentrates available from on-line distributors. You dilute them and spray them on surfaces where stink bugs typically land and let the solution dry. Apparently the only vulnerable parts of a stink bug are its feet, so this poison is absorbed through them. I've used these products (but not on our Montana) and they do work. Whether you want to risk spraying on your RV is entirely up to you; I would never ever spray them on the inside.
Macattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:17 PM   #15
bearstop

M.O.C. #10953
Stink Bugs

I purchased some Stink Bug spray at tractor Supply and that seems to work. Last case resort, I get my shotgun and shoot them!!
bearstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #16
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Stink bugs are harmless but a nuisance. They come indoors in the fall to stay warm. They do not feed on anything indoors and they do not breed indoors. All that happens outside. Several years ago we were finding 10-20 a day in our RV. Like mhs4771, I put them in the black tank. On recent trips we only find 1 or 2 a month. They stay hidden when it is cold. When the inside of the RV warms up, like when the sun is beating down on an outside wall, they become active. Someone mentioned Box Elder bugs. Like stink bugs, they are harmless, do not eat indoors and do not breed indoors. They don't like to cross a dusting of borax but you need a place to put the borax so it doesn't get tracked all over the place. That approach works well at home where we put it on the deck outside the kitchen slider. I feed Box Elder bugs to the black tank too.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:10 PM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We live 25 miles from Virginia Tech. The researchers at Virginia Tech I have talked to tell me the stink bugs have developed a fungus that they think is killing them. They collect them on the farms around here. They like paradise trees so if you have these trees VT will trap then on your property. They grow peppers on a neighbor’s farm to collect them. The bugs with the virus don’t live nearby as those without it. You can tell which stink bugs have the virus, their belly is either yellow or orange. Sorry but I cannot remember which.
The good news from this is like was stated above is there there are fewer each year. If the grad students I’ve talked to are right they will become less and less of a problem.
Enjoy them while you can. They might just disappear.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:38 AM   #18
Wally Dad
Established Member

M.O.C. #20592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
We go around with our cordless vacuum and suck the critters up. It doesn’t kill them, they just stay in the canister until you empty it. They are a tough one to kill.
Same here. We were in southern Indiana in October and were hit by a wave of both stink bugs and lady bugs. We are still finding the stink bugs 5 months and thousands of miles later! Lady bugs didn’t last vey long and there weren’t nearly as many.
Wally Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:45 AM   #19
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
BUGS

When we were 5th wheeling we always used dryer sheets in every cabinet in the unit and no ants or any kind of bugs. Sharon still uses the same system here in the house in Florida. sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #20
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
We fill a plastic soda/pop bottle and fill it half full of water and then add some Blue Dawn dish soap to the bottle and shake it up. We keep the bottle handy in the unit and when we see one, we remove the cap, catch the stinkbug in the bottle top and seal the bottle again. Shake the bottle and let it sit and watch the little buggers try to swim in the soap water and eventually give up and drown. We've caught them after leaving the Monte in below freezing temps for two or three months so they are a tough critter but can be eliminated. Good luck with your conquest.
Ron, doesn't your television work?
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote