Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2017, 07:32 AM   #1
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Never heard of this before, BUT . .

Saw this thread on the Keystone forum about a new owner finding he had no brakes. Apparently his unit was towed from the factory to the dealer with the safety brake switch plug out. He didn't realize he had no brakes until after signing and driving off. Thread is here: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=30188

The whole thing made me think about how I have never checked the brakes before actually buying a trailer. This really should be something on everyone's inspection list, although you'd probably have to get a dealer to hook the unit up and try them out.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I can't beleave a transport driver would not notice the rig not wanting to move with the braked locked up. He would have to be pulling the rig down the road with the tires smoking. Then once the brake shoe linings wore out the metal to metal of the shoe and the drum would make an ungodly noise. At about this point parts would be falling off the wheels. Also at this point the driver had to notice how difficult it is to stop the rig with just the truck brakes. I bet this is a phony story or something else was going on here? It just not meet the smell test.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
I can't beleave a transport driver would not notice the rig not wanting to move with the braked locked up. He would have to be pulling the rig down the road with the tires smoking. Then once the brake shoe linings wore out the metal to metal of the shoe and the drum would make an ungodly noise. At about this point parts would be falling off the wheels. Also at this point the driver had to notice how difficult it is to stop the rig with just the truck brakes. I bet this is a phony story or something else was going on here? It just not meet the smell test.
Just one more quick thing before all of the items above happen with the brakes locked and the tires not turning the trend would be scuffed off in no time. Resulting in them going flat.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's my issue also. Unless it was delivered at Tiara in Elkhart, how did the tires survive? I hooked that cable on something once (the reason it's now in a hose) coming out of a gas station and that was some serious drag back there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I once had the plug come out while making a sharp turn (cable tangled up with the hitch handle), and I was at a dead stop blocking traffic. Could not even drag the fiver. Had to crawl under and cut brake wiring so I could continue (realized later it was just the plug pulled out). Agree with everyone's comments, makes no sense.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:34 PM   #6
RV6A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19552
Fake news!
RV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
To make sure I have trailer brakes, I test the brakes by using the LevelUP to lift the rear wheels off the ground and spin each wheel while the DW pumps the brakes. I do each tire to make sure everything is OK. Once or twice a year is all I do but it keeps me sane.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:42 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm not buying the story about the safety pin pulled either, but .... my 2011 was delivered to me with two brakes not functioning. I brought it back after picking it up and complained about extremely weak brakes. One had a wire severed behind the backing plate and the other had the auto adjuster popped 1/2 out of the brake shoes. No real explanation ... just a lot of crickets chirping when I went back for it.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:57 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Had a friend have her brakes lock up when she crossed RR tracks. We worked for over an hour to try to free them. Just before the police were going to call a tow truck someone finally resolved the issue and she was able to continue on her trip. By the way the brakes quickly brought the truck to a very quick and complete stop!
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That could not happen the way it is posted. Had the plug come out on a sharp turn and all 4 wheels locked.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #11
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Ok - it can happen - I am a first timer ... $1500 later - being new, the orientation was incomplete or to quick or - but nothing on brakes except hook up the cable. anyway - to the point, first time I unhooked and later rehooked, I took off to put it in storage. After 12 miles, a pick up pulling a boat pulled up going to the road. Said they thought I had a problem. Pulled over, wheels hotter than ... some smoke and certainly no brakes. Finally found the cable had pulled. The RAM 2500 diesel did not really pull harder. Picture from the dealer - melted coils, warp shoes, etc ... replaced all but wheels and spindles.

Thoughts: 1 - Brakes were never full adjusted properly letting them contact and burn up, 2 - in the SEMI OTR rig, trailer brakes were called broker brakes. Use them not the tractor brakes

With all the "SHOULD NOT HAPPEN STUFF" from dealers and manufactures - most anything is possible. Knowing what I know now - would have taken it to my independent repair guy and had disc brakes installed - estimate was $3000 - vs. dealer @ $1500 for stock.

As I've indicated to some new folks here - read a lot before running down the road
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I can see how this could happen. If the pin came out while moving at speed the wheels wouldn't lock up and it wouldn't be long until the brakes weren't holding and if you went very far they would have cooled off enough they wouldn't be smoking. And if the driver did know the pin was pulled I don't think he would tell anyone.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I can state for a fact that this kind of thing is NOT fake news. After replacing all four of my brake assemblies and adjusting the shoes until they were making noise when rotating the drum (not activated), it took about fifty towing miles before they were worked in enough to really slow the trailer. Even now, I cannot lock up the wheels when they're fully actuated - and that's exactly how they're supposed to be (and also why I'd like to get disks) according to Dexter. If you've a heavy trailer, they will help you stop, but you won't be laying rubber even at full activation. You might drag them on gravel, but that's the only time.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #14
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
My brakes locked up and brought me to a halt when the little cable got caught underneath the hitch where it fastens into the rails. Had to jack the trailer up to take pressure of of hitch and remove cable to plug back in. Now I loop cable over handle of hitch and never have had a problem since.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:00 PM   #15
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
They WILL bring you to a halt, but did they REALLY lock up? Smoke and skidding? I doubt that.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
They will bring you to a halt IF you are running 15 MPH but at 80 no way.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #17
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Having brakes is Over Rated anyways!!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #18
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
When that cord is pulled the brakes lock up. That is what it is designed to do. Yes when you set the regular trailer brake they are not supposed to lock up but the emergency system is. Because if the truck and trailer separate it is designed to stope the trailer now and not let it continue down the road.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #19
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I guarantee you that you would notice if your disc brakes locked up. I've heard other say it and i have seen it myself on my rig that you can stop your rig quicker with the trailer than the truck by itself with disc brakes. I had my brakes set at 10 on the trailer brakes and used the brakes a few times and my brakes were smoking. I set my brakes at 7 now which is what i had with drums and it feels like the whole system is power brakes. All trailers should come with disc and if they did then they wouldn't cost as much as having it installed on the aftermarket.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:07 AM   #20
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
This is what I use and it has never got tangled.
https://www.amazon.com/Fastway-80-01.../dp/B00718W5GQ
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote