Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2015, 05:42 AM   #21
lunalonestar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11717
Glenn: Like you i was a hold out using Marathons. was always meticulous about checking the tires and pressure every time I stopped. Even so, I had one blow out and very close to having another one, but I found it in time. Last year I finally decided safety and piece of mind was worth the extra cost and went the Bridgestone Duravis R250. From my research it appears they have the same type construction, quality and weight as the G614 and almost $100 less per tire. I got a set of 4 for just over $900 at Discount Tire. The installer said he'd never seen a "commercial" heavy duty tire like this for a travel trailer or 5th wheel. So far, I've been very pleased with these tires. Good Luck!

lunalonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:46 AM   #22
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Come on DmaxDually, yes you are getting a little Dramatic, I would not risk my family and put them in danger either to save a few bucks but you are making seem like ANYTHING other than G614's are crap and that is just not true,there are quite a few other tires that get dang good ratings and I truly feel me and my wife are WAY safer in my "cheap G rated $ 900.00 tires" than the ST E rated Marathons ,in your way of thinking maybe I ought to take off ALL my "Cheap" Les Schwab tires on my truck too that are not top of the line and dump them on Craigslist and get some "top of the line" tires for the sake of my Families safety,If you feel it is Mandatory and you can afford it Go for it,But there is Great choices out there for less money that will NOT Put your family at risk ,heck while I'm at it why don't I dump my cheap Lippert Framed Montana and buy a more Robust built and safer top of the line Excel or DRV or New Horizons 5er? for the sake of my families safety???
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DmaxDually

Hi Glenn...I too was a hold out on the Marathons on my 2012 3750FL. I am also a weekend camper. I have not done any long trips as of yet. So far all my trips have been within a 60 to 70 mile radius of my home.

Like you I checked the tire pressures on my marathons before the start of every trip to and from the camp grounds. I never exceeded 65 MPH and most of my travels have been on local roads not Highways. Because I thought I wasn't "stressing" my tires I was safe for now. I was wrong. Returning from my last trip driving on a local road with traffic lights the right rear tire blew. I was lucky, I was able to quickly pull to the shoulder with no damage. I now have g614's on the camper with TPMS waiting for my next trip. I did have them balanced.

I know the tires are expensive I too didn't want to spend the money. I look back on how lucky I was and also how very stupid I was for risking my safety and possibly the safety of other on the road because I didn't want to spend $900.00 to replace tires that we know are going to fail. We spend tens of thousands of dollars to buy our campers then we look to save a few hundred dollars on one of the most, if not the most, important safety items on our campers.

Don't risk the safety of you or your family to save a few bucks. I did and only by the grace of God I was lucky my tire blew when and where it did and I got away with just a flat. No injuries or damage at all.

Buy good tires and don't look back. It only hurts for a few minutes when you pay but it goes away quickly and is replaced with peace of mind that stays with you for thousands of miles ahead.

Sorry to be so dramatic but sometimes that's what we need to make us think. If you want to save money buy cheaper beer... not tires.

OK I'm getting off my soap box now.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 AM   #23
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Jimmy, have you had your coffee today brother?
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:09 AM   #24
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Nope, I'm hurting bad brother!hit me up quick and make it a Triple Shot please
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn the fifth

Jimmy, have you had your coffee today brother?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #25
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Good friend replaced his OEM Mission tires with Marathons because he was concerned about Mission blowouts, and he thought he was getting US made tires since Marathon had a Goodyear name. Wrong. He was not pleased when I showed him "Made in China" on the side.

The first summer he had 2 blowouts on the new Marathons and the next summer one more. Now having said that, I can't say how well he took care of the tires or of his driving habits. But I do question some of both. Sadly he passed away 2 years ago.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #26
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Hello BB TX, I have had really good luck with the Marathons on both this trailer and my last one. I just feel like I am "due" now and looking to upgrade for safety and piece of mind. Sorry to hear about your good friend passing. -Glenn
Old 03-31-2015, 11:39 AM   #27
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

I have always run LT Tires, Firestone TransForce, watch my air pressure and keep it at 65. No Blowouts. No issues. I was tempted to go with the 614s with the new rig, with the heavier weight, but went with the Firestones again. Have pulled the 2015 from NC to Bar Harbour Maine, and down here to Florida and all was good. I will stick with the Firestones. If the wife pushes me to anything heaver however, I will have to go with G-Load tires.
Ditto. G614s are over kill on my rig. LTs can handle the weight so I put them on when one of my Missions died.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:09 PM   #28
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
[quote]Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Come on DmaxDually, yes you are getting a little Dramatic, I would not risk my family and put them in danger either to save a few bucks but you are making seem like ANYTHING other than G614's are crap and that is just not true,there are quite a few other tires that get dang good ratings and I truly feel me and my wife are WAY safer in my "cheap G rated $ 900.00 tires" than the ST E rated Marathons ,in your way of thinking maybe I ought to take off ALL my "Cheap" Les Schwab tires on my truck too that are not top of the line and dump them on Craigslist and get some "top of the line" tires for the sake of my Families safety,If you feel it is Mandatory and you can afford it Go for it,But there is Great choices out there for less money that will NOT Put your family at risk ,heck while I'm at it why don't I dump my cheap Lippert Framed Montana and buy a more Robust built and safer top of the line Excel or DRV or New Horizons 5er? for the sake of my families safety???

Ok Bigskyjimmy can you please show me in my post where I said you must get g614's and anything else is junk?? NO I DON"T THINK SO..That is just the way you interpreted it.

What I said was that I replaced MY tires with G614's I didn't tell Glenn to run out and get them too.

By the way has there been an issue with the " Cheap Lippert Framed Montana's" splitting in half on the highway or blowing out while towing? I haven't heard of any. Have you? But there are numerous incidents of people having blowouts with the Marathon tires...

All I did was post my story and suggested to Glenn not to wait for a tire failure before replacing the Marathons with a better and higher weight rated tires OF HIS CHOICE. Once again no where in my post did I say the G614's are the ONLY tire to get. that was your take on it. I only stated that is what I purchased.

If me being dramatic causes one person to stop and think then go out and replace his Marathons (with the tire of his choosing) instead of holding out, then I helped one person.

Isn't that the whole purpose of this forum? For us to come here and post our stories, experiences and opinions to help other campers or is it to be chastised by someone who misread,misunderstood or maybe doesn't agree with someone else reply?

If someone posts a question or needs help and we can help them, then we post and try and help. If we can't then we don't post. Don't read someone else reply who is trying to help and attack them because you have a different opinion. That doesn't help the person asking the question...
Old 03-31-2015, 07:43 PM   #29
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I think you need to read your post again ,I will quote you : "Don't risk the safety of you or your family to save a few bucks" So what do you mean other than G614's in your mind are the Only option since they are the most expensive on the Market(or Maybe you didn't know then My bad) and Any other brand is saving a few bucks therefore if you buy those brands you are flirting with disaster, And Lippert frames not having any failures? I won't go there Well Documented.....Yes like you said yourself Not me you were being dramatic and yeah you were a little,I get that Tires Are VERY important and I get you had a bad experience that was a little scary but like I said Saving a few bucks on the right tires will not put your Family in Grave Danger..I don't think we should steer people away from other safe options that cost less,that's all I'm saying
Old 04-01-2015, 04:13 AM   #30
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Just to close this out- I called Les Schwab yesterday and made an appointment for my new tires to be mounted and installed Saturday morning. After some extensive research instead of the G614s I have decided to go with a little less expensive tire with a proven track record (as indicated on several RV and other sites). Thanks to all for the advice! -Glenn
Old 04-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #31
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Ok I said it wrong. The point I was trying to make was save a few buck by not replacing the Marathons at all and keeping them on the camper like I did because they were still new. I wanted to save a few bucks by keeping them in my pocket and not buying tires at all. That's what I meant by saving a few buck. Please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:59 AM   #32
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
No Worries DmaxDually,I should of reacted more kindly to your post,my Apologies
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DmaxDually

Ok I said it wrong. The point I was trying to make was save a few buck by not replacing the Marathons at all and keeping them on the camper like I did because they were still new. I wanted to save a few bucks by keeping them in my pocket and not buying tires at all. That's what I meant by saving a few buck. Please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #33
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Bigskyjimmy is a classy guy! I respect him even more!!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:21 PM   #34
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Thanx my man There are SOOOO many nice folks here at the MOC(that's why I love this forum Compared to RV net etc..) and we all have disagreements sometimes but it's nothing personal,it was cool What DmaxDually said as well
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

Bigskyjimmy is a classy guy! I respect him even more!!
Old 04-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #35
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
No worries it's all good.... If we all had the same opinion or take on things this would be a very boring forum. That's one of the reasons why we belong to the MOC. To get a different point of view and ideas
Old 04-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #36
copi2day

M.O.C. #2199
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn the fifth

Just to close this out- I called Les Schwab yesterday and made an appointment for my new tires to be mounted and installed Saturday morning. After some extensive research instead of the G614s I have decided to go with a little less expensive tire with a proven track record (as indicated on several RV and other sites). Thanks to all for the advice! -Glenn
So what did you wind up with?
Curious minds want to know.

Thanks
copi2day is offline   Reply With Quote