Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Something to look at: 3400rl ruined it's own spare

If Keystone did it once, it probably has done it over and over. Here's something that happened to mine, so maybe you better check yours:

I had my 3400rl delivered last November. (I didn't even have a truck yet, so they delivered it to me.) Before my shake-down, I noticed the spare was flat. I assumed it had to be one of 3 things: Failure to inflate it at all, a bad valve stem or a bad bead seal. As I was going on my first trip right away and given the fact I have Good Sam road-side coverage, I just re-inflated the tire right in place, and went traveling.
On returning home, I checked the spare again, and sure enough, it was totally flat again. Well, that eliminated the first of my three suspect causes, the failure to inflate.
I called my dealership, and we both decided the quickest easiest course of action was for me to run the tire down to Discount Tire in my city as they do free flat repairs and they are much closer than the dealership.
Well, with no trips planned, I put that on the back burner until yesterday. I'm going to Jackson Hole WY on Thursday and remembered I didn't have a working spare, so I ran it to Discount Tire.
They called me and told me the tire was "Unrepairable" with a hole in the sidewall. Huh?!?! It has never touched the pavement!
The holes were on the side of the tire that presses up against the belly of the Montana.
I brought the tire back home and crawled under the Montana and started inspecting.
Sure enough, I spotted 2 holes in the black corrugated under-skin near where the tire mounts. I pressed into the skin, and sure enough 2 nail-looking sharp things poked through the holes! It is something I'm guessing that is mounted from the top down through the floor.
Obviously, this is what ruined my spare tire. Better look at yours too.
I'm heading down to the dealership right now with the tire and pictures.
Everything is under warranty still, but I know tires aren't covered by punctures. I sure hope they don't try to dodge this clearly Keystone caused issue.
If my dealership balks at all, who do I call at keystone?
Stand-by for an update, and please check your own Montana so you aren't surprised like I was.

UPDATE:
I just got back from my dealership. They took copies of my pictures of the cause, they snapped their own pictures of the damaged tire, and they ordered a new tire for my trailer. No questions asked, no problems.
I will be without a spare this trip (5 days) but I have the the Good Sam roadside coverage and brand-new G614s to give me piece of mind.

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Start by calling Keystone Customer Service and on this one you might want to ask to speak to a supervisor.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
I carry the spare in the bed of my truck. It makes it much simpler to check and air it up when needed.

Also, I just couldn't shake the image of "the lowest bidders" cable failing as I am rolling down the highway at 65 MPH, and the spare smashing through the windshield of the car right behind me and killing somebody.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I suspect keystone will just give you a replacement tire.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I forgot to mention that we have had Montana fivers since 2002 and have never had an issue with the spare tire carrier as designed.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Good catch and a smart item for everyone to check.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Sounds like an old Army friend who was a first time boat owner. Went cruising and the boat got slower and slower and was taking on water. Long story short, when he pulled it up on the trailer, water was streaming out of a small hole in the hull. It seems when the factory was installing the seats, the installer just kept drilling...into and through the hull.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:13 AM   #8
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
That is really interesting. I found two holes in the sidewall or my spare, also on a 2013 3400RL. I checked the surfaces of the metal that the spare touches when stored, but it did'nt occur to me to look at the plastic material. So the ruined tire went to the curb. I guess I'll be dropping my new spare for a closer examination. We certainly learn a lot on this forum. I say a big THANK YOU to all of you who share your knowledge.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have been checking my spare since I bought the rig in 2006 and even had the occasion to use a spare once and have never had this problem (I am on my 3rd set of tires... Missions were awful and one had a bubble, then replaced with Goodyear Marathons and they survived for over 6 years and now on a set Maxxis). All included the spare.

It's very unfortunate that you had a problem, but your diligence got it taken care of, so good job and I'm glad for you that those responsible took care of things. Good luck in your travels.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote