Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #21
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Hooker, I had a 2007 Winnebago Vectra before I traded for a Montana. It took me 3 days to cross Kansas because of crosswinds. A 40 foot billboard is a handful. The wind rocks my trailer but it doesn't seem to rock my Dodge near as bad as that old diesel pusher

K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #22
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
We started fulltimming in 2000 in a 36' 5th and a DRW truck. We found we wanted to explore areas that was not large 5th wheel friendly. Small Forest Service campgrounds, dry camping in Nevada. Running around sight seeing in a DRW truck? The Honda 2000ei helped.

So we bought a non-slide 35' pusher and a CRV. Lots of fuel capacity, large water capacity, gen set, jacks, inverter, and I installed 540w solar system. Was the perfect rig for 7 years.

We got older, started the winter in S Texas for 4-5 months and the wife wanted slides again. I loved that old pusher. But getting a 5th was the least expensive option. So this winter, I drove the DRW and Montana to S Texas and the wife drove the CRV. She had the car and slides and I pretended I was having fun.

If you want to explore this great country and think you will like getting off the beaten path, get a smaller pusher and a CRV. If you want to go from campground to campground get a 5th.

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #23
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I beg to differ on that. We off road with our truck (not a dually) and have hauled the Monty to a few unique places also. It comes down to knowing what you want and getting the rig that fits you and your style.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:30 AM   #24
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
X2 with Dick. We have hauled our Montana into tight spots and then had our 4 wheel drive SRW to explore. We camped outside of Steamboat Springs once with trees between the slides. Again, everyone's situation is different. There isn't a right or wrong. It's what fits you best.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:04 AM   #25
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272

[/quote]

MHs come in different sizes and classes. Even Class A type MHs are totally different. Several posters commented how their trucks/5th wheels handled rough weather better than MHs. Maybe a small gasser, but a big heavy diesel pusher is totally different.
[/quote]
I stand by my observations over the years of watching all types of Class A's, including big triple axle diesel pushers, fighting the high winds on the interstate more than most of the large fivers. Next time you are out there on a day when there is a hard cross wind watch what happens when a semi passes one of those.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #26
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Before we retired in 2007, I spent over two years debating this question. Here is what I came up for both scenarios.

Initial Investment:

Motor Home
Cost $110,000 plus

5th Wheel & Truck
Cost $85,000 (Includes employee vehicle discount)

Pluses:

Motorhome
Set up/Break camp time
Maneuverability (for things like backing up)
Longer range per tank
Passenger access to rear while driving
Ride

5th Wheel
Cheaper:
- Initial cost
- Maintenance & service cost$
- Less hit for trade in value (tow vehicle only)
More room.
More floor plan/models available.

In the end, cost was the deciding factor. If money were no object, I'd go with the motor home and pull a Corvette behind it. However, living on a fixed income, the initial cost, the value hit after purchase and the continued maintenance costs was just to high to justify a motorhome. One thing that stuck in my mind was when a friend with a large up scale motorhome told me his oil change was $500. While I do most of my own work and would do oil changes myself, his bill gave me an indication what I would be in for should we have trouble on the road. When you add in things like tires (people here think Goodyear G14's are bad!), brakes and the like, the motorhome became less and less appealing.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #27
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We had a Winnabago Elandin back in the day. DW didn't like it at all. She suffers from motion sickness and wallowing movement of the MH was not tolerable to her. It was more expensive both initially and to maintain. We sold it in less than one year, took our beating and returned to TTs. We heard about 5ers from so many and five years ago purchased our first 5er, a Monte. And that after two years of research and investigation. We are now in our new 14 Big Sky. We are 5ers for life. There is no way to be practical RVing, but , fuel mileage on gasses might reach 8 mpg. Diesel pushers less. We can run 11-12 towing with our diesel trk. Yet, to each his own. I'm a part time RV salesman, and if DW were not still with me to have an opinion, it would be a tough sell to put me in a MH. I have my dream RV.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote