Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #21
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gkidsdlite

My thought is buy a long bed and a slider for it, you may never need it but I would think that it would come in handy if you ever needed to adjust the weight on your truck or trailer! I drive a semi and if I am pulling a heavy load I adjust the position of the pin and can also adjust the trailer wheels to make the load legal, I know you can't adjust a 5th wheel axle so a slider sounds like a good investment to me! Anyone disagree? I ask this as I am in the research mode for our future adventures on the road and want to be prepared as does Jerald! Thanks for your input!
Long Bed Dually here with a Crew Cab. The best of all worlds.

I can't speak for every slider but the one that I had and those that I've seen are not as adjustable as a 5th wheel slider on a semi. My slider was either full forward (traveling position) or full back (maneuvering position) The instructions even said not to travel in the maneuvering position. It throws too much weight too far back on the TV.

Ex-Trucker myself - so I know how you shift weight around with the cab and trailer sliders. that's what they are for. You can also have quite a variety of weight and the way it is loaded so that is necessary.

The purpose of a slider on our TV's is not weight distribution but just for increased clearance when backing in or tight clearances. The weights don't change THAT dramatically that you need a slider. The positioning of the center of weight from the kingpin should be just slightly forward of the rear axle and that's where fixed or sliders are when in normal traveling mode.

JMO but I'd save the money on the long bed slider and spend it on happy hour instead.

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #22
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I have observed folks pulling fivers with 1/2 ton short bed trucks, and all kind of trucks up to 10 wheel road tractors. I guess the best choice is what suits you and how much you want to spend. I don't think it is possible to have too much power. If fuel economy is your concern I have seen campers with bicycles
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:46 AM   #23
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gkidsdlite

My thought is buy a long bed and a slider for it, you may never need it but I would think that it would come in handy if you ever needed to adjust the weight on your truck or trailer! I drive a semi and if I am pulling a heavy load I adjust the position of the pin and can also adjust the trailer wheels to make the load legal, I know you can't adjust a 5th wheel axle so a slider sounds like a good investment to me! Anyone disagree? I ask this as I am in the research mode for our future adventures on the road and want to be prepared as does Jerald! Thanks for your input!
Thanks G and that is what I will do! It sure is great to be able to get info from you guys and gals on here!

Long Bed Dually here with a Crew Cab. The best of all worlds.

I can't speak for every slider but the one that I had and those that I've seen are not as adjustable as a 5th wheel slider on a semi. My slider was either full forward (traveling position) or full back (maneuvering position) The instructions even said not to travel in the maneuvering position. It throws too much weight too far back on the TV.

Ex-Trucker myself - so I know how you shift weight around with the cab and trailer sliders. that's what they are for. You can also have quite a variety of weight and the way it is loaded so that is necessary.

The purpose of a slider on our TV's is not weight distribution but just for increased clearance when backing in or tight clearances. The weights don't change THAT dramatically that you need a slider. The positioning of the center of weight from the kingpin should be just slightly forward of the rear axle and that's where fixed or sliders are when in normal traveling mode.

JMO but I'd save the money on the long bed slider and spend it on happy hour instead.
gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:01 AM   #24
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sliders are more necessary with older model trailers. They tended to have square corners on the front causing the corner of the trailer to contact the back of the cab during sharp turns. A very expensive learning experience if you have one of the new trucks with an electric back window. With the rounded front on the Monty it's not so much of an issue.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote