Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2004, 06:01 PM   #1
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Air Ride Hitch

I need assistance in purchasing an air ride hitch. There are several on the market. Since I don't have any experience towing a Montana, I asking the forum to offer suggestions about whether it's necessary to aquire an air ride hitch. I get the impression from most of you that perhaps it's not needed. I am concerned about the investment in both a truck and the Montana over the long run. Does the air ride hitch really help to make for a smoother ride?

Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:11 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
If You plan on travelling from Alaska to the lower 48 more than once then I would reccomend a Trail-Air air ride pinbox. An air ride hitch in the truck takes up more room and is heavier to remove if You care to.

I would venture a guess that only a handful of members here have an air ride pinbox or hitch and though it does improve the ride it in not exactly necessary. We are currently weekend warriors and only manage to get away 1-2 times a month so I feel it's not necessary at this time. Those that do have one are sure to chime in soon.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:46 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We don't have an air hitch but have thought maybe someday we'll get one. If we do, it will be the TrailAir. Most of the times where I've felt it would be beneficial is on concrete interstates, where the 'bucking' seems most likely to occur. We tend to avoid interstates when we can so that reduces the need for the air hitch, for us.

One thing I read that made sense is that the TrailAir and other air hitches that mount on the kingpin housing on the fifthwheel itself are usually permanently mounted. If you trade fifthwheels, you probably will pay to buy another air hitch. So, if you figure you'll trade your Montana in a relatively short time, you might want to consider an air hitch mounted in the truck. Otherwise, to me, the TrailAir is the more desirable because truck mounted air hitches seem to take up a lot of room in the truckbed. At least those I've noticed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:01 AM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for your input. Since I plan on making several trips back home (Alaska) over the years purchasing an air ride hitch is a no brainner. From what I see a TrailAir hitch will accomplish the task.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:13 AM   #5
Montana_152
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #152
Steve when I traded my 3280 for a 3685 the dealer switched the trailair hitch in
about an hour. Have not had any problems with this install. Of course the factory
hitch on the 3685 was exactly the same as the 3280.
Montana_152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:33 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, that's a good point. I understand the TrailAir hitch is for a particular pinbox or maybe series of pinboxes. So there's a chance it can be moved, like yours was. Thanks for clarifying. Come to think of it, if the pinbox will bolt to the next fifthwheel and satisifies the capacity specs there's no reason it couldn't be moved.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:36 PM   #7
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
Northstar,

We're pulling our 3655 using the EasyRider air suspension hitch and can recommend it unreservedly.

The hitch works flawlessly and really does help a lot, especially when travelling on unpaved and/or badly paved roads.

The Trail Air pinbox offers a lower-cost solution for the individual who's only going to be dealing with 1 trailer at a time.

The two solutions are, thankfully, NOT mutually exclusive - if there was a need, both solutions could be used together.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 03:20 AM   #8
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Northstar,
It is "Air Ride Pin Box" by Trailair, Columbia, MO. 1-800-998-4238;
ordered and put on @ the dealership, $1200. add on. According to the directions you can put it on yourself.
Give them a call. I am sure they can answer your questions.
I just figured that it would produce a much smoother pull and ease wear and tear on the truck on those not so smooth roads.
Good luck.

John
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:00 AM   #9
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We have the trail air hitch and have towed for around 3000 miles so far. It is terrific. Only problem is it is so smooth you can easily forget you have the trailer on. Great product. I installed it myself using a floor jack on the tailgate of my truck.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:52 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Northstar, I think Rob Cooley is a rep for TrailAir and might be able to get you a break on price. I'm not positive about that but you might email him about it. Find one of his posts and click on the envelope icon or click on his name and email from his profile. I think their online connection is spotty at the moment, haven't seen him post in a few days but he might be getting email.