Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Are they tough enough

I have been reading through many of the threads regarding build quality and am wondering if a Montana will really hold up for a full timer. It will be just the two of us and a small dog but we want to see the country over time. We will stay in some places for a month and others a week. If the Montana cannot hold up then I need to think of plan B.

Thoughts?

osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
There are going to be many folks along with full time experience over years of full timing. We're relatively new to full timing, but I did the search you're doing last year. In my opinion, and from my research, Montana's make a good full time rig. All rigs will need repairs over time. You are subjecting your house to a major earthquake every time you move. You can spend a whole lot more for a full time rig if you want. Trailer Life magazine has a spread this issue on a very nice $187,000 rig that weighs in at 24,000 lbs but then you have issues of what to pull it with and how often you want to move it. You will still have repairs over time, it just may not be to the marble floor and then again maybe it will.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Rubber Tramps
Established Member

M.O.C. #9416
We've fulltimed in ours over 4 years, and have not had any major problems to date. There will always be things which loosen, or move, or twist as you pull your home 65 mph over the highway, but I think that's gonna' be true of any of these things. For the price, I believe the Montana is a good choice of fulltime rigs.
Rubber Tramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I bought my Monty with the option that we might full-time. While Keystone does not consider this a full-timing rig, they just wanted me to spend more money on their Big Sky (allegedly this is the full-timing rig), but I think since anyone will full time in anything including a tent trailer, it's all about how you treat your equipment and what you're prepared to deal with.

Since the MOC has so many members that full-time quite successfully in their rigs, I see nothing wrong with a Montana. I still feel because of its popularity, the value or what you get for the money, this is just as good a rig as any and like I've said I think you get more for less with this one.

This being a Montana Owner's Forum one can say it just might be a little slanted towards Montana, but you'll also find this is not a whiner's forum filled with bashing the product. There are some bad experiences and units, but I am proud and lucky to be a Montana owner and that any of my problems have been far and few between and for that I'd recommend a Montana for anyone with the proper TV to tow it. Then this forum is filled with experience and great ideas to get past any problems or questions.

If you decide to full-time in one, I'll be envious, but not regretful. I'll just wish you Happy Trails and that your best times outnumber the bad times and the bad times are the best learning times. And most of all, you'll have plenty more help from here where you can learn how to get it working for you just right.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We full timed for 7 years in a 2001 2955RL and have been full timing in the 2008 Big Sky for almost 4 years. Keystone made many improvements in between and the Big Sky has been great. We drug that 2955 all over the US and all the way to Prudoe Bay in Alaska, where we did have a problem, but hey, we took it over the "haul road"! We have been happy with our Montanas.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Thanks for all the feedback..
Old 07-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Big Sky is NOT the Montana full time rig. No Montana is rated for full time use. Few rigs are full time rated and there is much disagreement on exactly what full time rated means. Having said that folks full time in all brands all price ranges. Many here full time in their Montana's. We long time in our living in it as much a 9 Months of the year including 6 months in Florida in the winter.We used out 06 3400 hard travelling about 60K miles in 6 years.We are now in a 2013 Big Sky.
If you are going to spend time near the arctic circle or in South Texas all summer you may be less that happy.Otherwise you will be just fine.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I think they are now, Been fulltiming for over 2 years now, first winter up here in our 2003 big sky in the NW was COLD and alot of snow we did fine but went through alot of propane and cranking the electric heaters, last winter with the new 2012 3402 rl MUCH BETTER!! more solid,better insulated,no frozen pipes, better 5th all the way around! we do it with no problems .....Happy campers!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Yes, they are tough enough. We are on our third Montana. Fulltimed for six years, 1 year in the 2002 and 5 years in the 2005, and Montana worked just fine, even with a winter in Colorado Springs. It is a factor of how well you take care of it. Example: we wipe the dogs feet with a towel, and take off our shoes before going in the Montana. Result: carpeting looked great after five years of fulltiming. A high end unit can look like trash after a year or two if not taken care of. With each Montana, we do dump the sofa and recliners and replace with quality furniture store products.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:46 AM   #10
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I think their design is good just Montana needs better quality control on the build of them. We have had a bunch of stuff break, stop working and fall apart this trip, but it was all minor stuff and easy to fix. Now that it has been rebuilt by me and passed my quality control I don't expect to have too much of a problem from it. You have to remember a Montana is sort of mid-range as far as standards go. You can buy a better built 5th wheel but it's gonna cost you a whole lot more money to buy one of the upper grades. The Montana will give you years of service but I would read on here and check some of the mods and fixes people have made.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #11
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Thanks all for the feedback
Old 07-17-2012, 04:09 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The 2013 3402 Big Sky is a much better unit than then 06 3400 as we have Stated. Better insulation. Double rubber seals on the slides.They should be much better in real hot or real cold weather. We notice the A/C's working less in very hot humid weather in the 2013. However..They are still NOT full time rated.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There's rating and there's practical experience. Many of us have been full timing in Montana rigs and find them substantial. That doesn't mean they are without issue, but neither was your/our stick house. We have been satisfied with the livability of our 2008 Big Sky 340RLQ for the five years we have been living in it. I call it greatly loved and gently used. So from a practical, experiential prospective, I say the Montana is capable of providing excellent service for any full timer who dutifully maintains and does not neglect or abuse his rig.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I've had mine for 8 years now and have used it extensively for 8-9 months each year. I'd estimate there to be roughly 65k towed on it. It is a nice coach for the price and offers many nice appointments. Look around at all other coaches and see what you think. Personally the only two 5th wheels that are rated for Full Time use that I know of are the DRV Elite/Mobile Suites and the Redwoods. Overall, I have been very happy with my Montana and the service/quality Keystone provided during my course of ownership.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Taking care of the rig and doing preventive maintenance is the key to longevity. Our '06 3400 gave us , pretty much, 4 years without major problems. We had an expensive tow hitch (air), and independent suspension added with disc brakes. Had to replace the black tank once (under extended warranty, cost us $200). We sold it and our '08 dually this spring and the owners love it. These things will go a long time if they are taken care of, I can't stress that enough. As far as "RATED FOR FULL TIME", no one has been able to tell me what that means, sorta like the "Arctic insulation" package. Know this for sure "You will have some problems with it", just carry a small toolbox with tools and mabey some extra parts and you will do fine. If you need a dealer repair on the road, try and call ahead and make a firm appointment. Remember you didn't buy it there so you are usually at their mercy when they can get you in, just be nice and remind them you are living in it and have no other option. I found that most were very accomodating. Above all, slow down and enjoy this beautiful country. We wish we were still RV'ing but the Lord saw fit to have us stop for some medical repair to keep us going another 60 years....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just a note...We traded in our 06 Montana 3400.It did have many modifications among them Mor Ryde IS system. JT stabilizers. Dexter never adjust brakes.It really was not a 06 3400 anymore . Any how we we at our dealer last week to have some things installed that we did not have time for when we picked it up. Our 06 3400 was gone.It did not last a month on the lot.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep, same with us our 2003 bigsky lasted only a few weeks then SOLD, just shows when you take care of them they will sell quick. Some people do not! man I cannot believe some people spend big bucks on these rigs and let them go to hell or let there pets stink them up so bad that nobody wants them