Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
arnold

M.O.C. #8023
SATELLITE TV

Has anyone been able to get satellite TV to go along with full time RV'ers without a permanent addresses???

arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Direct TV will. They have a plan for RV's and boats. Go to their web site and in the upper right hand corner there is a place to click on for the info link. You can also call their customer service.
I have direct tv and am somewhat satisfied with it. What I don't like is that I was lied to by 2 customer service people over the phone and the person doing the install on my 5er. They said I could get the local channels for cbs, nbc, abc, and fox, anywhere I went. Not so with the plan they sold me. I only get them where the installation took place. To get something like that I have to pay more. They clearly told me something else.
Anyway, it is doable for a little extra money. Other than that their customer service people have been helpful and the service has been as advertised.

camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Camper4,
Regarding the "local" channels from DirecTV: I have the locals at home. If I go more than 3 or 4 hundred miles from home I no longer get the locals. Some folks have been able to get the locals by changing the service address. Some of the Full Timers simply call or do the change via computer. For instance right now we are in Oregon and do not get our locals. But if we were going to stay for a month or longer we could get the locals in the area where we are currently. Now that is NOT the locals from our home but the locals here in Oregon.

I apologize for my clumsy explanation.

Arnold,
We simply take the receiver boxes from home and plug them into our rig. We also get the DNS channels.... that is we get the East Coast and West Coast feeds from ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox. To do that we had to complete a request for the channels and send that in with a copy of our trailer registration. It costs a few dollars but we enjoy the capability of getting some programs 3 hours early. Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have DirecTV also and actually love it. We upgraded to the DVR Receiver this year and put the standard HD receiver in the bedroom. We don't get any locals and don't need them. We will be staying in Arizona for 6 months this winter and will look into the local stations there.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Hamrad, I agree with what you said, is the way it is... but I was told I would get any local channels just by calling customer service with a new zip code, with my standard subscription. No time requirements. One day at a time was okay! I was clearly misled and so was a friend who did the same thing I did. He got the same impression, as did my wife... we were on speaker phone.
The east/west thing is around $18 per month more.
So, my point is, be careful what you get. Talk to others who have got the service and what their experiences have been. Direct TV's service, otherwise, is as advertised and I am enjoying FOX news as I write this from Sioux city south, Nebraska.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Hamrad, I will try changing my address and see how that works. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Camper4,
Yep. I understand. You really must listen very closely to what you are told because it can get very confusing very quickly. Good luck with the changing address. We don't stay in one place long enough to make it worth our while to change addresses so have never done that. I have no first hand experience with the process I'm just passing along what I've read here and on the Escapees Forum.

I wish you the best with your DirecTV process.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:25 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by arnold

Has anyone been able to get satellite TV to go along with full time RV'ers without a permanent addresses???
We have DirecTV and have had it since 2001. We have a permanent address in Livingston, TX with the Escapees RV Club. We subscribe to the East-West broadcast channels and get them wherever we are. We don't subscribe to local channels because we use the antenna for that.

You need to apply for an RV waiver and I don't know anyone who was ever denied that.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:34 AM   #9
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
i have DISH. i use it all over the country and it seems ok, sometimes i need help with the sat. dish however.

as for local channels, i call a 800 number and they want my "new address" so i give it to them and i have the local channels. it is sort of a pain but i live with it. sometimes the customer service person confuses me because i am in an RV.

my mailing address is in south dakota but i had it installed in texas....we're now in north carolina...oh well.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When traveling around the country and not staying in one place very long we just crank up the antenna for the local channels. However when we go to Florida or Arizona for the winter. We call directtv and say the following.." we are now at our winter residence in (Florida)Arizona)( wherever) and our zip code is xxxxx and we would like the local channels". In about 30 seconds we have the local channels in the case of Florida Orlando. They do this by changing our service address. When we return home to Ohio we call and say " we are now at our summer residence and would like the local channels..and by magic we have the local Cleveland,Ohio channels. There was a time when you could do that on line but no longer as there were knuckleheads who could not follow instructions and it would not work and they would call and complain so directtv took it away.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Write down your questions to DTV based on what you have read here. Carry on a conversation with them, don't hurry and think it thru. They will help you. If not, say goodbye, hangup and dial again to reach the next rep. Be patient. I have been with DTV since 1996 and have basically been very satisfied with adjusting my bill to getting answers often not given the first time. Don't park near a forest!!!!with dish point to the North!!!
!!!!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
MIKENLINDA
Established Member

M.O.C. #10433
We have a 2011 Montana 3455SA. How do you hook up a DTV DVR that requires two satellite feeds? I tried to use the "CABLE" connection jack (removed the jumper first), but it didn't seem to work. Any suggestions?
MIKENLINDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Check with DTV, the new /dvr's only require one cable from the dish. I run 3 dvr's and 1 receiver with 1 cable from the dish.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
bobneal
Established Member

M.O.C. #5308
We also have a 2011 Montana and it has 2 Satellite connections on the outside and inside. We're planning on going to DTV. Which of the two does the antenna connect to, or to both?
Bob and Lynn
bobneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You really should have started a new topic for this questions as it may be lost inside another thread. That said, here is a link to the TV wiring diagrams for the various Montanas.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37324&SearchTerms=tv,wiring,diagr am

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #16
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
An update on satellite tv in the rig. While I have Directv, DISH now offers remote service from your rig and charges you only when you use it and not a contract period of time. I am not sure if DTV does that with Distant Network Service (DNS)?
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #17
ileyld
Established Member

M.O.C. #9071
We have used Dish full time for two years. We have a billing address
and a service address. After we set up at our new service address we call Dish, tell them our new service address with the zip code. Haven't had a problem yet.
ileyld is offline   Reply With Quote