Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #1
kipandbob
Established Member

M.O.C. #9500
where to "live?"

Hi, all,

If one were to sign up with either Escapees or Alternative Resources, do TX & SD require a vehicle to be PHYSICALLY in those states to register them there? Do I have to be there to get a DL?

I currently live in CA; will be retiring in April, 2010 and going on the road. We plan to purchase our 5th wheel before mid-december, by which time we have to be out of the house that just went into escrow today.

I've been told that we can take physical possession of the 5th wheel in OR (no sales tax) and register it and TV there (much lower fees than CA). But, the 5th wheel can't legally be back in CA for one year. We intend to live in the RV while I finish my employment here.
I've also heard that CA has a "rat on your neighbor reward" program that adds disincentive to trying this.

So, I'm hopeful that there's a legal way out of this quandry - other than simply paying the rip-off fees here.

Thanks,
-Bob

kipandbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you develop a domicile in Texas, you will have to physically take your RV and you vehicle to Texas, license them there and obtain a Texas drivers license. Renewals to both can be done by mail. If you go to the Escapees website, there is a tab to read about the process.

Your problem will be in California, a state desperate for money from any source, and their laws dealing with residency. This may be a legally undoable scenario since you are employed there. I yield to others with more experience in your state.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Calfornia requries resicency if workig more than 6 months in the state. We know we just "moved" from there. We selected South Dakota for state of residency 1) they have VERY friendly mail forwarding services we chose America's Mailbox in Rapid City 2) you still maintain your right to vote 3) America's Mailbox will do it all for you except your DL of course 4) Yes there is sales tax but only 3% 5) Truck and Montana were going to be 1150$ for tags, SD 190$ 6) NO state income tax 7) Insurance is the 47th lowest place in US 8) No yearly smog certification.Only draw back is you do have to go every five years physicaly to renew your DL, but not a bad state to have to visit and when you do have torenew it can be done in any county of SD does not have to be original county. If you have any further questions just ask....Enjoy your new life. Full-timing is FANTASTIC
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kipandbob

Hi, all,

If one were to sign up with either Escapees or Alternative Resources, do TX & SD require a vehicle to be PHYSICALLY in those states to register them there? Do I have to be there to get a DL?
Thanks,
-Bob
When we first became Escapees, we lived in Iowa. When we changed our address to Texas, we were able to register both our truck and Montana via mail. All we had to send in was proof of insurance. This gave us our licenses. When we finally went to Texas physically, that's when we had to get the vehicles inspected. We drove our Taurus for a whole year without inspection because it never physically made it to Texas. If you declare Texas as residency, then you have to have Texas plates and Texas driver's licenses. Texas has reciprocal agreements with most states so don't worry about the horror stories you may hear. It is likely your insurance rates will be higher in Texas than in South Dakota. We've been Texas residents for almost 10 years now and there have been times when we didn't get our vehicles inspected because we didn't enter the state physically. You have 30 days to get vehicles inspected once you become a resident and have the vehicles physically in Texas.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We retired in 99 from Texas- We chose SD for our home state- Our insurance cost was reduced by more than 50%- License fees for truck & trailer were also less- SD is a wonderful place to visit & we also vote there by absentee ballot- Not any significant downside for us- We hope your choice is the right one for y'all- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote