Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
elwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9473
New Fifth Wheel

This is our first Fifth wheel, and we are looking forward to learning how to use all the features we have available. We have been towing a toy hauler (Gearbox), and bringing the 5th wheel home the first day was a real treat. It tows so much better than the travel trailer did. Looking forward to participating in these forums and learning a lot from all the experienced Montana members.

elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:31 AM   #2
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Welcome to the club !! What model of Montana did you get?
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:42 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Welcome to the forum Jerry, the absolute best forum on the web for getting Montana issues and questions answered. another neat thing about the forum is the regional rallies of Montana owner's that are held in different places across the country. Interestingly enough, we have one on planned in your neck of the woods (well close anyway) - Wytheville, Va.) for the weekend of August 7th. there are several threads in the Regional Rally topic under Virginia - Mid-Atlantic Rally if you would happen to be interested. We would love to have your rig represented there, and besides, if it is a new rig, it is a good chance to show it off and learn personally from forum members!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:20 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Congratz on the new 5th wheel we know and understand the feeling. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Come join us at the Virginia-Mid Atlantic Rally. Vickie and I will be leaving New Bern on Thursday morning August 6th. Let us know if you can make it.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome, congratulations on the new fifthwheel, and thank you for your service.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Congratulations and welcome to the Forum.
Lots of good information here and a good family.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Welcome to: "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!" This could become addicting, as well it should. No better place for information about the Montana line of 5th wheels and travel trailers......Be sure to ask any, and all, questions you may have about the 5er or RVing in general or anything else that pops into your mind......BTW, the rallies are a great way to meet others with a common thread......AND you will learn so much about your new rig!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Congratulations on your new Monty and welcome to the forum.

Lou
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yeehaa!!! Congratulations on the new rig. Enjoy!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #11
elwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9473
Thanks for all the kind words. Thanks for the invite to the Virginia Rally, but we have already scheduled a short vacation in Myrtle Beach with the Grandkids for the 7th of August. Maybe we can make the next one.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #12
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Welcome to MOC and what model did you get? Tim
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
elwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9473
Oh, I forgot, we got the 3000RK model.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:43 AM   #14
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Jerry & Terry
After the summer, maybe a group of us that live in the area can meet in Myrtle Beach for a wekend get together. Anyone interested??
Jim & Vickie
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:11 AM   #15
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Jim,

Janis & I would be interested. Tim
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #16
elwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9473
Well folks, let me tell you about my first outing with our new Montana. Everything went well on the trip to Myrtle Beach and set up of the Montana was fairly simple. Everything worked well the first night except I could not get the Air Conditioner controller to switch to Auto mode. The fan was on med and so it ran all night long even when the compressor would shut off. That was not a really big problem because we still had A/C. The big problem came the next day when I tried to raise the landing gear to move the Montana. The 30 amp fuse located under the front battery compartment kept blowing. I was finally able to move the RV using the hand crank but could not figure out what was causing the fuse to blow. The next day I took the unit to Campers World in Myrtle Beach to check it out since it is still under warranty and the mechanic put a fuse in and we could not get it to blow. Dont know what the problem was or is but have camped twice since then and had no problems. We have been going to a place called Willow Tree in Longs SC. Nice and quite and the folks there could not be more helpful. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get the A/C controller to change the fan speed, let me hear them. Jerry
Old 09-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #17
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
On the thermastat there is a MODE button--push that and it will change to auto, manual, heat cool. etc. I hope that is the right one.--we had a little sheet of paper giving us instructions when we got ours. I am a woman so my explanation may not be real good--maybe some man will bse able to give better directions.

just a suggestion but put your question under the maintenance or general discussion topics, if my answer doesn't help
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #18
elwood
Established Member

M.O.C. #9473
Jan, thanks for the info, I tried the mode button and it would not change to auto. All it would do is change from cool to heat to fan only modes. I will try to post in the maint. section as you suggested, Thanks, Jerry
Old 09-11-2009, 03:55 AM   #19
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Jerry, on your landing gear they likely upped your fuse to a 40 amp. May have been a grounding problem as with the circuit. A good idea to have some spares readily available or install a circuit breaker in place. Also a good idea to mark the highest point of retract and extend on the legs so that you do not run beyond these points and blow that circuit. Always ensure that when your lifting each leg carrys similar loads, plus do not try and lift the TV.
We have been fortunate with our landing and had no problems as both legs are marked and a 40 amp cicuit breaker was installed.
All the best with your new purchase and enjoy; good maintenance with give you trouble free travelling for years to come. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:21 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jerry, you might talk to your dealer about swapping out the thermostat and see if the problem still exists. Then you'd know whether the thermostat is at fault. It should be under warranty.

At an auto parts store you can get a 30 amp auto resetting breaker with blades just like the fuse. It should fit right into the fuse holder. Then you would not have to replace the fuse every time it blows. You'd have to wait a little bit for the breaker to reset itself. If it keeps on tripping, then there's a problem your dealer needs to check out under warranty. You might check the fuse put in by CW and see if they just went to a 40 amp fuse. If so, then you wouldn't want to go to the 30 amp breaker as it would just trip frequently.

Ours came with the 40 amp fuse. Unfortunately there is no 40 amp auto resetting breaker I can find that fits the fuse holder. I bought one I'll have to hardwire when I get around to it. But we've only blown that 40 amp fuse twice in three years so I've not been in a hurry.

Good luck. That model you got is a nice one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote