Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #21
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Glen

First off I had not said anything other than I was confused and asked for more info.I also didnt say anything about my decals. I only stated my experience that I have had using the Adco cover. I also stated I sit under a full size maple tree that leaks sap all the time and even more so in the early spring when the maple syrup starts to run. I am trying to protect it from the sap. Ever try cleaning maple sap from a rubber roof? Can't be done that I know of. Not trying to cause any grief here, just trying to get info from the experienced MOC'ers.

I do believe you have a wealth of knowledge that I can learn from, along with a lot of other fulltimers on this forum. I do not want to cause problems for anyone.

Thanks
Dave

Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #22
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Quote the quote, oooops, got em confused.

Glenn, recheck the quotes, SIGHHHHHHH

Champ_49, I don't wanna clean maple syrup off my rig, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

That said, I still don't want to use covers, but, you can read my take on that.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #23
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Champ_49, I don't wanna clean maple syrup off my rig, ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

That said, I still don't want to use covers, but, you can read my take on that.
The 'fix' is obvious, even to me. Cover the trailer with pancakes!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #24
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Ahaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! Now Tom has a great idea. Never ever thought of that, maybe thats why I'm a newbie here in the forum. I gotta get with it, and start getting a little smarter.

All kidding aside, maybe I should consider another place to park the rig and not cover it. Only 2 more yrs till retirement and the fulltime life. Don't need any damage to my soon to be home.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #25
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Covers are an expensive owner preference.

My RV is parked in the hot windy desert and the RV is NOT covered. In my case, I know too many owners who don't mind replacing the cover every couple of years because the wind and weather have ruined them, then done some damage to the rig. I think their rigs look just as bad as mine! I DO have covers for the tires though and these are snugfitted with bungy cords to keep them in place. I don't have any debris issues and the wind seems to keep the roof clear. I am also able to inspect and maintain the rig without messing with the cover (it is parked in the driveway).

However, if I lived in an area where there were trees, sap, falling leaves, birds who live in the trees, then I might consider a snugly fitted RV cover to keep the debris off of the rig. I say "consider" because if I use the rig about once every month or two (like I do here in the desert) then I might not want to hassle with the cover. So what happens to the cover when you roll it back up and there's sap in it? What happens if you are in a rainy area and under these trees so that the cover takes a while to dry out? It might be cheaper in the long run to purchase a "garage" to park the rig under. I also think I might take the rig out less if I have to mess with a cover.

If you are only 2 years away, then get the cheapest cover you can find, cinch it down but not too tight to cause abrasion or too loose so it flaps around cuz from what I see they get replaced every 2-3 years anyway. I don't know ANY fulltimers who cover their rigs. Can anyone confirm?

ON EDIT: I've tried the pancakes. The birds eat them too fast for them to do any good, plus they leave their "mark", then for those that do collect sap then you have insects and rodents and their predators to worry about (a whole food chain on your roof). It's best just to to cut the tree down or find a better place to park the RV.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #26
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
If i was a fulltimer I surely wouldn't cover mine either. My rig gets put away for the winter here around the middle of Oct. through April. Still work and vacation time is spent here in beautiful northern Mi. during the summer months. At this time of yr there is no vacation left and its put away.

Like I said, maybe I will put it somewhere else. This place I put it is the only place on my property that I can park it. But I do have a buddy accross the street that I could park it, but I would not be able to get it till the ground dried up, as there is no driveway for it. I just hate the fact of not being able to get to it if I get the bug and say to heck with it, I'm retiring today. Something I am considering doing too. As of Aug. 9th I now qualify for 52 weeks vacation per yr. Its a good thing!!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #27
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

For those that are PRO cover, I have a question, Just what are you trying to protect??

If it's the rubber roof covering it is not needed. As a fulltimer my rig sits out in the weather 24/7/365. At no time have I ever covered it and all the weather conditions it experienced it has shown no damage.
If you want absolute factual information attend the Fall Rally and be sure to attend the Dicor seminar. Dicor is the manufacturer of the roof. Dicor carries the 12 year warranty of the roof. Dicor does not recommend covering the roof as their roofing material is made to withstand the elements be they sun, snow, ice and dirt. Come to the seminar and ask your questions, I am sure you will come away with a totally different opinion.

One last thing,
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

.... I am pretty sure the snow and ice were the main cause for my front Montana graphics going bad with the snow and ice sliding down the curved front cap. The graphics are fine on the rest of the trailer. I can only imagine what that snow and ice is doing to the roof over time. Time will tell.
You want facts? Here is a fact...If snow and ice had anything to do with the peeling graphics explain to me how it is that I and many many other MOCers also have the peeling graphics problem. My rig has never ever been in freezing temps and the only snow it has ever seen was when we were in the mountains the summer of 2007 and yet my graphics are peeling. The roof is rubber snow and ice will not damage it. No more so than snow and ice on your 4 rubber tires.
Why would I want to explain to you why YOUR graphics are peeling, I have no idea why they are. I made an observation to what I thought were the cause for mine peeling,Lets turn things around here explain to me why the only graphic that peeled was where the snow and ice were sliding down the front of my fiver, now explain to me why you think some kind of cover on the front cap would not have have prevented the graphic from peeling, I think that graphic would be as good as new If I would have protected it from last winters snow, would a cover be worth it probably not , but the graphic would not have been ruined. I want to make it clear the only graphic that has peeled is the one that was exposed to the weather the most the rest are fine.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #28
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

I am pretty sure the snow and ice were the main cause for my front Montana graphics going bad with the snow and ice sliding down the curved front cap. The graphics are fine on the rest of the trailer. I can only imagine what that snow and ice is doing to the roof over time. Time will tell.
It could be, but I doubt it. We live in Michigan and our trailer has seen lots of snow, ice, wind and rain, yet the graphics are doing well. Additionally, the front graphic has withstood numerous onslaughts to remove the collections of dead bugs, using everything from plain soap and water to bounce drier sheets.

The graphics problem is a mystery, at least to me. Some people have no problems, while others have repeated problems, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:36 AM   #29
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
And, how can one account for a rig like ours that is over nine years old yet has not shown any problem with the graphics. Our rig has never been covered and has seen weather from 118° F to -20° F. It has been power washed, had bugs removed with all kinds of solutions and has been hand waxed many times. As many have heard from me, that I believe the whole thing has to do with the adhesive that the graphics people are using.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #30
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:

I am pretty sure the snow and ice were the main cause for my front Montana graphics going bad with the snow and ice sliding down the curved front cap. The graphics are fine on the rest of the trailer. I can only imagine what that snow and ice is doing to the roof over time. Time will tell.
It could be, but I doubt it. We live in Michigan and our trailer has seen lots of snow, ice, wind and rain, yet the graphics are doing well. Additionally, the front graphic has withstood numerous onslaughts to remove the collections of dead bugs, using everything from plain soap and water to bounce drier sheets.

The graphics problem is a mystery, at least to me. Some people have no problems, while others have repeated problems, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

Maybe I didn't explain well enough, all my graphics are in excellent condition EXCEPT for the Montana graphic on the front cap , several times last winter the snow on top of the trailer would start to melt and slide down the front, then freeze in place over the Montana graphic, anything lower it would just fall off, not affecting the mountain graphic, now I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but for the naysayers on using covers, if that graphic would of been covered or protected ,even if I would have kept the snow off of the front graphic I am convinced it would still be in pretty good shape. Some say the glue is bad, what just on that one graphic. Don't get me wrong here I could care less about the graphic I removed it. Keystone sent me new ones for the front, and they are where they should be sitting in my garage in the corner,where they will stay may put them on when I sell it.

I think one asked what are you trying to protect, well thats pretty easy to answer, not all are full timers, and there trailer sits for months at a time exposed to the elements, why not try to protect it when not in use. I for one like to be able to take care of it the best I can. Sure if you are using them full time there is only so much you can do to protect them, but whatever that is why not, I remember one a while back stating he doesn't wash ,wax or clean the roof, something like he had better things to do. That is great, his choice. I for one like to protect and take care of whatever I have, and if covering them will get the job done then that is the answer, but from what I have read that may not be the answer, but one thing is for sure on the plus side and cannot be argued is there will be no black streaks, there will be less oxidation, and they will stay cleaner.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #31
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
There is a interesting thread going on about covers on RV NET, not quite the doom and gloom that is going on here. National Discount Covers sells a cover with a 5 year warranty, Its there Gold Line that some report good success with. Bottom line to the naysayers here on the MOC. full timing is one thing sure they take a beating. I for one do not full time yet, and to watch the weather beat the crap out of your trailer when not in use makes no sense, then have some come on here and say no to covers, or in some cases asking what are you trying to protect, and the worst part probably never used one. I think this blanket no from some of the older members on this forum are unfair and uninformed. There seems to be some methods to protect these huge investments we have, and there are covers that ARE NOT causing any damage. It is hard to believe someone would report good success with these better covers they have used for two or three years, and be having damage done to there trailer. I am done with this thread, it has annoyed me from the beginning. I probably have said more than I should, but heaven forbid disagree with some of the older members.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #32
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

There is a interesting thread going on about covers on RV NET, not quite the doom and gloom that is going on here. National Discount Covers sells a cover with a 5 year warranty, Its there Gold Line that some report good success with. Bottom line to the naysayers here on the MOC. full timing is one thing sure they take a beating. I for one do not full time yet, and to watch the weather beat the crap out of your trailer when not in use makes no sense, then have some come on here and say no to covers, or in some cases asking what are you trying to protect, and the worst part probably never used one. I think this blanket no from some of the older members on this forum are unfair and uninformed. There seems to be some methods to protect these huge investments we have, and there are covers that ARE NOT causing any damage. It is hard to believe someone would report good success with these better covers they have used for two or three years, and be having damage done to there trailer. I am done with this thread, it has annoyed me from the beginning. I probably have said more than I should, but heaven forbid disagree with some of the older members.
I'm curious - does the 5 year warranty also cover the finish on the trailer? I'm thinking about those auto bras that were the rage a few years back until folks found out they were rubbing through the paint.

Also, I wonder about moisture from condensation. Years ago I had a pickup truck with a liner in it. After 5 years, it looked great until you removed the liner and saw the bed had rusted from the outside in. I know rust wouldn't be an issue on a trailer, but mold would be.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #33
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Tom

The Adco cover I have is built to breathe. Never seen mold at all using it. Its on its 3rd yr. and it still looks like brand new, except for 2 spots that were torn thru by the downspouts on the water gutters, and the sap that has accumaleted on it. I tape the waterspouts off now with a rag over them and no problems since. No paint anywhere has been even scratched. I don't know why, but its what has happened for me. I do tie it down good, and it keeps the sap and all off the roof. They also claim they are UV protected. Not sure about that either. I will say I keep a lot of wax on the unit and maybe thats why in the wind it don't affect the paint. Or just maybe I been lucky so far. I know now 3 yrs later the roof is looking good from being parked under that maple tree. Can't say that about the motor home with a rubber roof had on it. It was darn near black from that tree. For me its been working fine and I will continue to use it, because when I pull it off in the springtime it looks freshly waxed and ready to go. In fact today and tomorrow the fiver will look like new again as the wax has been going on (wax on wax off) and its looking new again.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #34
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Our Monty is now a year-and-a-bit old. In the winter (southern Ontario) we store it outdoors at a friend's farm, mainly out of the wind, but it certainly gets snowed on. Our front graphics are peeling off from the top down. The roof is starting to get stained. Here's a thought: if the roof gets stained, then it will absorb instead of reflect the sun's heat. The darker the roff, the worse the heat absorption.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #35
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
What if when you are putting on the cover , you can't see the side or a vent or fall off the unit and break your head or back or what ever , is it worth it,, lets think about safty, we are not all 30 years old ,,,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #36
Papalr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8618
When our Monty was new last year I weighted the same question and placed it also on this forum. Got about the same responses. I decided to cover. Purchased the Adco aqua shed (we live in the NW) and it performed beautiful last year. I cleaned it good prior to covering it about October and uncovered it in March. The cover fits very snug with about 8 straps that run under the rig and a rope tighting system in the rear, so there's no danger of shifting during winter wind storms (we had winds up to 50 mph last November) and the top is breathable to prevent condensation (we also had 3 feet of snow sitting on top during Christmas) and the entry side has two zipper panels to allow access to the rig with either a mid-entry or rear-entry. We rolled up the aft panel after installing the cover (it is secured with velco and straps and remained in place all winter) to allow us access during the winter months (good place to store Christmas presents). Our neighbor has 8 large maple trees very close to our property and several branches did break off and bumped off the dining room side but didn't notice any damage (I might not have received any damage if the cover hadn't been on, but it was comforting having some protection). So the bottom line is - until we retire and can leave here during the winter or be on the road for 6-8 months a year I'll continue to cover our $50,000 investment and it will look like brand new when it gets uncovered next March!
Papalr is offline   Reply With Quote