Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
Pa roads, tires, AC.....AW crap!!!

So far our 90 day + Longtiming has been pretty uneventual. With of course the exception of a couple of weeks ago when we tore off the center support for the awning navigating a turn around that if we had includedeed the "s" on the GPS would have never happened... but that is pretty much just a giggle compared to today...

If you have ever traveled Pennsylvania roads you can probably relate to this... we were on 78 when we got into the "MOGALS" then it was gaps in the pavement.... we finally shifted to the left lane in hopes of avoiding some of the punishment... while it was smother the next could not be avoided... there was a gap? between the pavement and the edge of a concrete bridge (no warning signs) of about 6-8 inches... when we hit it at 55, the DW commented that she hoped we lost nothing in the "tanna" .. I told her I would be happy if we didn"t loose a tire....it was that bad... ..

WELL about another 60 mile down the road, and some one signaled us over to tell us that we were shedding a tire... sure enough the tread off the front drivers side had let go --- we were on the turnpike--- so we limped into camp on the steel belt needless to say we probably pissed off alot of people behind us cause we traveled so slow to keep from stressing the bad tire. When we got to the camp, or actually near it, there was a covered bridge with a 12' 1" limit, close, but doable... EXCEPT when you exited the bridge the road dropped almost immeadiatly 4 feet, that pushed the trailer up just enough to catch the front AC..enough to just catch the coils...

Upshot is that it is 800 dollars today and I still havn't looked into the damage from the tire seperating. I know it took off the end of the sewer drop and tore up the metal in front of the tire... Being it is 90+ with same in humidity, the AC was first ... got a new one locally. It didn't have a ducted ceiling package with it, but I can get that later. Much better than having DW in the heat and humidity....lol...

I knew when we started things would happen and they have, I Planned for a little extra $ for this... with hope I would not have to use it, but so far I have had two insatnces to deal with the travel complications one might experience. I guess we are lucky in that we (at the moment) have the $ to deal with these things, and that they have not been as bad as they could have been...

And as a side note...... both dogs have gotten sick and we need to delay our trip so we can see the local vet...

I guess all things for a reason.... I can only hope that the reason is that I will catch the world record bass in the stream of the campground we are at...
Happy trails to all and my best wishes that your travels are less complicated than mine have been.... which means you have real easy sailing.....

jd & merty

Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:38 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
JD,
My heart felt sympathies go out to you. Those are things we do not expect to happen when we travel.

May the rest of your trip be with happy memories.

Good luck!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:22 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
JD -
You have a great attitude and I hope the rest of the trip just brings enjoyment. Take care and enjoy the balance of your trip.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:19 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Think of it this way, the worst has probably happened and the rest should be smooth sailing. At least that is my wish for you guys. Take care and enjoy the rest of your travels......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Just this past Monday we ran I-78 East from where it starts at I-81 to Route 61 (Cabella's Exit 29). While we did experience the "MOGELS" in the right lane the left lane was considerably better. We ran the entire stretch at 65 MPH and Yes, while in the right lane we did "re-arrange" a few things in the Monty we found nothing damaged or broken.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm sorry to hear about all the problems but your attitude sounds pretty good. I'm not sure I wouldn't be a bit more grumpy.

I hope you'll let the appropriate authorities know about that bridge. It should be marked somehow to indicate the hazard. Marking the actual height obviously is not sufficient. Who knows, maybe you can get them to help you cover the damage.

Now, if I may show my dense side, I'm scratching my head over your first paragraph comment about had you included the "s" on the GPS it wouldn't have happened. Does that have to do with routing because of a spelling error? Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Wow, went through PA last year and experienced those roads. Not good. We empathize with your plight. shredded tires and the damage they can do isn't fun. Don't want to alarm you, but two of our four flats cost us $2500.00 each in body work on the Montana. Hoping you fare better.

It sounds like you are taking things in stride. I applaud you for not letting the gremlins steal you joy. Hang tough. Experience is the tuition for success.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
Thanks all, Steve, the 's' incident was a couple weeks back when I had the choice on my GPS of either Trail Rd. or Trails Rd. I picked Trail Rd, thinking I knew what I was doing.... nope, trail road is a dead end and immediately around the first corner it narrows down to something just wider than the trailer.... had to turn around in a field that had a drive way by it. Coming back onto the road I thought the whole shebang was going to tip over as the drive was not wide enough for the trailer to turn. The road remember is only about 10-12' wide so I could not get a good swing. It was an adventure...

I have most of the damage repaired, just a little to do yet on the trailer where the tire ripped it up. That will hold it until I get off the road for awhile and I can borrow my tools from the kid to make the repairs the way they need to be...
Old 06-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
I am glad you all are safe and I hope that the dogs recover soon as well.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
You say you have (or had) a front AC, our rig measures 13' 3" with front AC, was 12' 9" without. I would say you got off pretty light going under a 12' 1" bridge. A friend of mine did it and took off his AC, vents, shower sky light and a whole bunch of roof.

Makes for a real lousy day.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #11
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
Just an update and another thank you to all. I have all the damage repaired, including the sewer end valve which I didn't think I was going to be able to find in this area, but after a little running around happened to find one.
The body damage isn't noticable unless your looking underneath. I figure when I can borrow my tools back from the boy then I think I will put in a storage compartment. To replace the skin seamlessly would require the whole side and it's not worth it.
Dogs are doing much better now , there is a marvelous vetenary in Quakertown Pa. that does large and small animals and were really helpful.
Have looked at the other tires and don't see any apparent damage so I am hoping this is the only one.
Oddly enough after all the packing and checking for tools etc that I might need, I had to buy a tire wrench for the 'tanna. Was so sure I had one.
We are off on our next adventure tomorrow - New Jersey traffic. Hopefully there will be no surprizes in store for us.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
JD,
Glad you have everything "under control."

What is your route itinerary?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #13
sailer
Montana Master