Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Hot Water Heater Anode Removal - Final Update

In all my years of RVing I've never experienced a problem removing the anode rod for replacement. I need some "expert" help. I've sprayed it with WD-40 hoping that might loosen it up a bit. Do you suppose there is another trick? Penetrating oil? Looking for all "safe" ideas. Recovering from back surgery causes me to not be able to "push" or "pull" too drastically. I couldn't budge the anode in this water heater. The water heater is just a little over a year old, having replaced the original heater. All help accepted.

Orv

Couldn't remove the anode. Had RV technician come out to our site and he couldn't remove it either. The head of the anode is so shallow that the socket wrench cannot get a good hold of the anode so it slips off when trying to turn it. Don't want to burr up the head too much so it will probably never come out unless I can learn something new about how to get it out.

Orv
Finally got the old anode out, just in time--it was almost gone! It had been in operation 21 months and I like to change it at least once a year. Had to grind a 6-point socket down to where it was flush, no bevel on the edges. The anode shoulders were so narrow and close to the wall of the water heater that the normal socket just didn't get a good enough bite. It then took a strong man with a 2-foot breaker bar in order to get it out. But it's done. Thanks for all the inputs.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
It may be a little on the radical side, but I use a 1/2" breaker bar on ours, and I guess if I really needed to, I could add a pipe to it as a cheater bar. Physics tells us the longer the cheater bar results in more torque with less energy used.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

It may be a little on the radical side, but I use a 1/2" breaker bar on ours, and I guess if I really needed to, I could add a pipe to it as a cheater bar. Physics tells us the longer the cheater bar results in more torque with less energy used.
Bingo
I thought of that Bingo, but I don't have one and I was also afraid of breaking something. Is there danger in breaking if I use too much leverage?
Orv
Old 05-16-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Can't really answer that one, I would think the threads on the rod itself would give before the casing of the heater would. If it is rusted or frozen in place that hard, no matter how you would have to get it out I would think it would break something. My gut feeling is if you get enough leverage on it, the threads will break loose pretty easy since all of the force would be applied to unscrewing the rod. Keep us informed, I am sure others will be interested in the resolution.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ok, I thought so, Al says, YES to the breaker bar, the longer the better.

The first time he took out ours, he had a tough tough time. When he put back he used teflon tape. With teflon tape he has had no trouble, and did not have to use the bar again.

When I mentioned your back, he said, FOR SURE!

Good luck
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Ditto on the breaker bar or 1/2" ratchet. I always remove my anode rod when the rig is home and it is always tight (hard to break). Don't forget to relieve all the water pressure before opening!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
Having the tank full of hot water might help. Mechanics will heat tight situations to help them break it.....I use a breaker bar all the time. Just be careful of hot water. Careful with the WD-40 or other spays you might use as it should not enter the tank.

Good luck!

Bill
William O. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Same here--1/2" breaker bar that stays in the RV. If you can't pull hard on the bar then have someone hold the bar and tap on the end of the bar with a hammer. Perferably not a sledge hammer.
The shock of the hammer blow should loosen the anode.
Worked for me.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Hammerdrill may do the trick. I have a cordless dewalt drill with a hammer drill setting. Works great to unfreeze the frozen bolt if you have a large socket (3/4 or 7/8 if I recall corectly) attachment.

I really like the idea of using teflon tape, that I will try in the future.
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
The socket required on mine is 1 1/16". I'd use light taps with a hammer on the end of the wrench handle to break it loose, then remove as usual. When you reinstall the new one, use teflon tape.

Good advice above on relieving the pressure in the tank before attempting to remove the plug.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I've gone as far as penetrating oil on a hot tank followed up with an impact gun a few minutes later. It came right out and nothing broke, but now I keep a roll of teflon tape in there and run a strip each time I reinstall it.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Harbor Freight has a 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar guaranteed for life...$10.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #13
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
I picked up a 24 in breaker bar at Harbor Freight for $10. Great for wheel lugs and annode. A 7/8 in deep socket is best for wheel lugs. If you have Marathon tires you will likely need the wheel lug assembly. Teflon tape really helps to avoid binding of the annode.
berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #14
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
With the teflon tape, even I can get that anode rod out of there. We use a socket wrench with extension to take it out.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #15
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi ols1932, Sounds like your using a 12 pt socket? This requires a 6 pt socket that has a facet that lines up with each flat, one-for-one and should prevent rounding.
If its truely this tight you may have a case where it was way over tightened galling the threads...if this is the case when it does come out you might find the threads unusable.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #16
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Use a 6 pt socket as noneck says and some heat. Also a steady pressure on a long breaker bar.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #17
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
The right size six point socket, a short extension and 24" breaker bar do it for me. I use the same tools for the undoing the wheel lug nuts if I have to. The short extension gets the bar clear of the trailer side, and also seems to make it easier to get the new anode rod threads started. Use Teflon tape for the threads.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #18
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
I also use a 1 1/16 socket. I agree with tapping on the wrench with a hammer. I always use teflon tape and have had no problems. I also carry a breaker bar, it is just a piece of PVC pipe. Make sure you get a spray wand from CW( it screws onto the end of your water hose) to clean out the calcium in the bottom of the tank.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:20 AM   #19
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I vote for a impact gun to take out. Teflon tape or teflon thread sealent and a handtightened annode back in. A break over bar will git'er done also, for sure.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Thanks for all the replies. I think we're all on the same wavelength with maybe some slight variations. This is the main reason I like this forum because no matter how experienced a person may feel they are, there are always good inputs from the experiences of others.

I did use a 6-point socket with a breaker bar but just flat cannot make it budge. I haven't tried an impact wrench yet. It's interesting that this is the original anode with the new water heater in August 2006 and I can see the teflon tape on the threads. I'm wondering if they might have used a little Loc-tite or other sealing substance when they installed the anode. I always use teflon tape and tighten the rod until there is no water leakage. Have always been changing anodes on an annual basis, but this time the "annual" got away from me because of my two major surgeries. Right now I'm not able to apply a lot of pressure on the wrench because of my back surgery. Hoping I'll get strong enough before the anode wears out. Hate to have to wait until water heater has to be replaced!

Orv