Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tireco came through

Got my mail drop this weekend and, lo and behold, a check from Tireco for 4 new tires (Mission replacements). Claim has been active since late June but persistence and patience paid off. I think this was the key.....

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great news. Congratulations both on having the patience and on getting good results.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Glad they came through Phil!

I'm still debating just replacing them all.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:07 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
That's GREAT news Phil. Glad everything worked out.

Brad, If you don't replace them by all means inspect them before, during and after every trip. Some of the separation on my tires was just barely noticeable, especially on the backside of the tire. Look for the slightest deformities. My one tire had separation on the inner sidewall. This was the one that blew. From experience I would say that side had a bubble about 3 inches in diameter and an inch high prior to blowing and would have been very noticeable had I checked. Another tire had separation on the shoulder and not so noticeable. The bubble only stood about a 1/4" above the rest of the shoulder. The third tire had tread separation. In this case it was very noticeable. While the rest of the tires had a normal footprint this tire actually appeared to be way overinflated and the footprint was very small. The 4th tire had no noticeable deformities but I wasn't taking any further chances.
Personally, my years of experience in the tire business tells me to get 4 new tires. Mission and/or Tireco are apparently very well aware of these tires being defective from the factory as no tire distributor (TireCo) is going to make refunds without total support from the manufacturer. Most distributors, if not all, would require you to have their tires replaced through one of their facilities. Only under extreme situations would they allow you to purchase your replacements elsewhere and than come back to them for a refund. Now take into the fact that these Missions are OEM tires and the distributor made very little profit on the sale of these tires to Keystone. Now ask yourself "why in the world is TireCo so willing to make these refunds?" What concerns me even more is why Keystone continues placing these rags on their product line and why NHTSA has not required the manufacturer to institute a total recall on everyone of these Mission ST rags is beyond me?
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:40 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Maybe the NHTSA needs more complaints. If people don't report their tire failures a recall will never happen.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did replace our OEM Missions after about 12K miles.There was absolutly nothing wrong with them. I just figured 12K miles with another 10 or 12K due to be on them in the next year was enough for a OEM tire. Although there have been reported troubles with the missions on this and other forums there have also been reported problems with other OEM brand tires as well as the so called name brand tires. There are thousands of mission tires out there and you wouls think that id there was large scale failures they would be reported.. I don't know what to think..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Interesting you mentioned inspecting the tires Glenn! I drove across state today to drop the Monty off to get the kitchen counter replaced. I was showing the tires to the Service Manager as I have one wearing out prematurely. After a 400 mile trip, it is BALD (4,000 miles since we bought the rig). I guess I'll be replacing them before I go home, but it won't be Missions. Hopefully the Dealer is going to work with me on the one tire. He is having it aligned as well in the next town.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Interesting you mentioned inspecting the tires Glenn! I drove across state today to drop the Monty off to get the kitchen counter replaced. I was showing the tires to the Service Manager as I have one wearing out prematurely. After a 400 mile trip, it is BALD (4,000 miles since we bought the rig). I guess I'll be replacing them before I go home, but it won't be Missions. Hopefully the Dealer is going to work with me on the one tire. He is having it aligned as well in the next town.
With only one tire worn it could be an axle problem, not the tire.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:02 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thats what the Dealer thinks as well Jim, hence the alignment.

That particular wheel also had a problem in transport from the factory, as it was missing the bearing cap and the pressure was under by 20psi. I think it actually ran the distance as a flat gone bad and it tore up the tire.