Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Help.....Solar panels

How many watts or panels will I need for sometiming, usually go boom docking for a week or so. I don't like listening to the generator any more than I have too.
What will it take to keep up with moderate power use?

Is Quartzsite a good place to pick them up?

Mark

mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It really depends on what equipment you want to operate in your rig. In our case, we have four 44-cell solar panels so that we can keep our storage batteries (510 amps of storage) charged. We operate two computers, three printers (not all at one time), a scanner, plus the television. Of course you know we don't operate everything at one time. But we usually have both computers operating as well as the television, scanner and/or one of the printers at any given time. We usually have enough power to operate through any given day/night as long as there is sunshine. When days are overcast, that's another story. Then out comes the Honda 2000i.

There will be others who will tell you that we don't need as much power as we do, but then they aren't doing what we're doing either. It's basically up to the user, what they want. That determines how many panels to have. As for me, I wouldn't buy the panels in Quartzite. I'd rather get them from someone like John Palmer of Palmer Energy Systems, Lake City, FL. He makes a lot of rallies but I don't think he gets to Q. His website is www.palmerenergysystems.com

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Another good company;
http://www.rvsolarelectric.com/
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Hi Mark - ols1932 is right on about how individual needs will determine how many panels you need/want. We have gotten solar on three different RV's from Solar Bill at Q'zite over the years, and have two traveling friends who got solar there also. We spoke with a fellow who said he did solar in another state and that he couldn't meet the prices Solar Bill had. All of us are pretty much satisfied with the basic setup. Now that said, be careful of other things you might want installed, such as an inverter, & how you want it hooked up. Get some prices to take with you, or have a couple of catalogs for reference. Also, when he quotes you the hourly shop rate, be aware that is for "per workman," so if two men work on your rig for a total elapsed time of one hour, you will be paying for two hours. Our setup includes two 155 watt panels, a 30 amp controller/regulator, and a 2500 watt inverter with remote on/off. We had thought it would be hooked up so all we had to do was to turn it on by pushing the remote inside. Instead, we have to plug our main power cord into the inverter before turning it on, which is somewhat of a pain because it requires us to pull out the power cord and have it strung up to the front whenever we want to use 110 volt accessories powered by the inverter. This is usually when we are just stopping for a short while or just for overnight while traveling from point A to point B (read "WalMart"). Inconvenient & looks tacky in some locations. I just haven't wanted to let loose with the money to convert to a hardwired setup yet. If all you want is to keep your batteries charged & only use the 12 volt things in your rig, then you wouldn't need an inverter and I would think Solar Bill or one of his new competitors in Q'zite would be as good as any. Just my thoughts. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:38 AM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Got most of our system from Discount Solar in Q. Have 2-80 watt and 1-130 watt panels along with 30 amp controller. I have my inverter set up for remote and have added a couple of new plugs inside that are inverter only. I added another 130 watt panel today.

bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:43 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
mtheo,

Not sure of your location, but these people installed or solar panels, controller, batteries, and inverter in Eugene, OR. We are very pleased with the quality of work, the convenience, and the support after the sale.

http://www.amsolar.com/

Their website has an education section that should answer most of your questions.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:24 AM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Here we sit with light rain and clouds and still getting 4 amps out of the panels. Total of 420 watts.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
MTHEO; there several solar discount places in Qzite,and their prices are very hard to beat, particularly,the solar panels and controls,but as Mike said labor is spendy, I bought my panels and meters there, then sat out in the desert and installed them myself, isnt rocket science!! Your main part of your system is good batteries,I would siggest at least 440 amps worth,I'm sure your monty came with just one wimpy 12 volt . You can get great deals on 6vlt golfcart bats. in Qzite as well. happy boondocking......Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote