Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2007, 07:01 AM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

One thing you have to keep in mind is it installed pre-turbo or post-turbo. It's hotter in the post-turbo position. That's why many will say not to exceed 1100° for very long.

Orv
I believe you will find the exhaust is hotter when measured PRE-Turbo - 1300 (between the manifold and the turbo) vice post-turbo - 1100 (between the Turbo and Catalytic converter or muffler.) That is my understanding.
Cheers,
Mea Culp. I meant to say pre-turbo is where Banks told me to keep it under 1100 and not to exceed 1100 for any extended period. You're right, post turbo would be cooler. My point I was trying to make is there are several different schools of thought on what temperature to keep it under when the EGT is pre-turbo. I tend to lean toward the 1100 that Banks spells out since they are really considered the experts in this kind of thing. I know this will raise a lot of hackles because there are a lot of anti-Banks people who seem to think that Banks has no idea what they're talking about. I don't want this thread to become one of those "good or bad" but rather one of information only. Each person does they're own thing and shouldn't try to make everyone believe that they are right.

Thanks for pointing out my post was wrong. I'm going to correct it. That's the good thing about this forum. You pointed it out to me without making me look bad. Thanks again.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:45 AM   #22
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I understand the "owner" battle. I met a Cummings service man at the fuel pump a while back and asked him about Banks. His comment was per his boss, if Banks equipment was installed on the Cummins then they would honor the warranty because Banks was a great engineer. Again it was his comment and I hope I do not have to test that theory. That is why I waited until the 36000 miles warranty was up before I added the Banks system. I do not know if Dodge will have the same reply. There is a personal choice/risk to adding performance equipment.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, I added an egt gauge to both my 2003 and 2005 Ford diesel trucks and never had a single question about warranty from Ford. I think you're right in that the egt gauge is not in itself a performance enhancing piece of equipment. However, when they see a gauge they may look to see if there is also a chip or other enhancing modifications.

In my opinion all diesel truck manufacturers should have an egt gauge right on the dash and it should have a very distinct redline, a la the tach.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
EGT guage..Pre turbo or post turbo..which is the best .. what is the pro and con to each.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #25
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

EGT guage..Pre turbo or post turbo..which is the best .. what is the pro and con to each.
Rich,
Personally, I prefer pre-turbo because that's where it's hottest. You want to be sure that you don't exceed certain temperatures. Take a look at my edited post in this thread.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #26
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Pre turbo give you a more accurate reading. It also has a chance of messing up the turbo if the temp probe comes off. Post turbo less accurate or maybe I am better off saying less sensitive.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I googled and found this http://www.modsfortrucks.com/articles/egt.html Sounds like pre turbo is best with a slight risk?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pre-turbo shows the heat as the exhaust is going into the turbo and to me that's the critical temperature point as that's the hottest. It also reacts more quickly to temperature changes. The drawback is should the probe break off in the exhaust stream it will take out the turbo and that will not be covered by warranty. However, I've yet to hear of this actually happening although somewhere it must have. On my prior two diesels I totaled 144,000 miles between the two trucks and the probe never caused a problem. I prefer pre-turbo.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #29
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Too bad that this vital instrument isn't offered by the factory as an option. I have asked the same question here and on other forums and never really got a concrete answer. Used to flying machines where this info is displayed accurately and is critically important. Usually the scale is taped to the instrument face with green, yellow and red being self-evident.

Always concerned where "Joe Mechanic" actually installs the probe. How much will the values change if the probe is 1/4" one way or the other? I know the temp where al. melts, so won't go there, of course. Guess the best reading would be the actual temp (highest), but what if it is reading 50-100 cooler than it really is? Probably wouldn't want to play it too close.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote