Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
07 Dodge Mega Cab & Pullrite Superglide???

Just bought a new 07 Dodge Mega Cab to tow the 06 3400RL and called my local Montana Dealer to order the Pullrite Superglide. He said "slow down son, your bed is too short". Sounds like a country music hit. Does anybody out there have this combo or any experience in determining the possibility of this working? Thanks for all your input.

mountainmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ask him if it would fit in the Quadcab shortbed or the standard cab shortbed. If he says "yes", then inform him the bed on the mega cab is identical to those. I have a manual slider in mine. I don't know much about the space requirements of a superglide but sure can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. The bed is 6'4". GM's "standard" (they have short, standard, and long beds) bed is 6'6". Ford's shortbed is 6'9". But most of the difference on the Dodge is behind the axle with very little of the difference ahead of the axle and that's the critical measurement. I even have a standard size steel crossbed toolbox in mine, between cab and hitch.

Congratulations on the new truck. You're going to love the way it tows your Montana. We've towed just 1,050 miles with it but most of that in the PA mountains. Sweet towing truck. The truck is 2 weeks and 1 day old and it now has over 2800 miles.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Just got back from a trip with mine, seemed to work just fine I love the setup. Do go with the Superglide though, take no chances. There are pics below if you want to see what one looks like installed in the Mega Cab.

Jim
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Steve & Sunnyside,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. We leave Boise Tuesday to fly to North Platte NE to pick up the truck. Drive about 1100 miles back home, it'll be a break from work and an easy break in for the truck. Our dealer still says it may not work with the short bed, but I trust y'all alot more than him. Pullrite says the 24K has a longer throw and although more hitch than we need, maybe the right one. Deal with that when we get home. Thanks mucho for the help!!
Old 06-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Hey, We also have an 07 3500 Mega Cab and use a superglide 18 slider. Works super have had no problems with it. We tow an 07 3075 Montana. Last weekend we went from Chico, CA to Sonoma (over in the wine country) for a wedding. Towed over Mt. St. Helena came all the way down the west side without haveing to use the brakes at all. The exhaust brake works great.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Hey Steve, Capt K & Sunny S.
What a truck, granted not pulling yet, but 17+ mpg on the 1st 700 miles. Rides like a SUV, great pickup, hopefully somewhere between SLC and Boise I'll figure out all the tech stuff. Doubt it. Your words of encouragement are greatly apppreciated. Thanks alot!!
John & Jenni
Old 06-28-2007, 01:44 AM   #7
rv_nut
Established Member

M.O.C. #6485
mountainmole,
----------------------------------------------------
"Pullrite says the 24K has a longer throw....."
----------------------------------------------------

Maybe this is the dealer's concern. With the longer throw of the hitch and the shorter distance between the axle and tailgate, you might have interference problems between the pinbox and tailgate. If this is the problem, just go with the 18K, which people say works. Just a thought.

Ken
rv_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
Jim,
I like your setup for removing the superglide. Great Pictures. I always have to borrow a neighbor to move the hitch in and out. I tried to remove it by myself once but I am not as strong as I used to be and didn't want to hurt my back. I am still trying to figure a way to remove it myself without a hoist??
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:59 AM   #9
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Thanks Ken, never thought of that. Am heading to the dealer in a few hours, will let you all know what comes of it.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:11 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
5er,

Saw a guy just the other day, while hooked up, he loosened the pins in the back of the bed, and used the landing gears to hoist the hitch out. He then had a couple of big guys lower it to the ground.

I am not recommending this, but think it might be an option to saving your back....I watch my back closely...too!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
John ... This post has nothing to do with hitches, but does relate to towing with your new Dodge. When we took delivery of our new truck, we were told that during the first 500 miles of towing, we should not exceed 50 mph to allow the rear-end to break in properly.

Boring as this was for those of us in the cab (makes for a really, really, really, really long day), it didn't make us too popular with those stuck behind us. As such, you might want to consider something like what we did ...

(My goodness but our window looks soooooooooooooo dirty!!!)
We were still slow and annoying but we got more smiles than scowls after we put this in the back window.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mountainmole, your mileage sounds good but likely will get better yet.

We have 4700 miles on ours now (3 1/2 weeks). On delivery day the dealer installed the latest computer flash. I read that six days later that there was an error in that flash and a "Rev A" should be installed pronto. I made an appt for tomorrow, Monday, but on Friday it started missing badly. I detoured to the Dodge dealer and they confirmed that flash was the problem. The number 5 injector was injecting way too much fuel and had been cutting my mileage the entire time. The Rev A seems to have solved that and increased mileage.

Before the Rev A update I made two trips to my folks' place. 240 miles roundtrip. 12 miles of that is city stop and go. The rest is 70 mph with two toll booth stops and one potty stop. On each of the first two trips I averaged 18.3 mpg. After Rev A I made another trip and got 19.3. I don't have enough time in town without highway but it appears I'm getting about 17 to 17.5 in town, best I can tell. The computer seems to be within 1/10 of what I came up with manually over three tanks so I'll rely on its reading from now on. I have another of those trips on Tuesday so will see if the mileage continues at that latter number.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Vicki,
What a great idea, we don't leave for the Oregon coast till 1st week in August but I've already made the sign. The first one was too small so we're on our second revision. Thanks again,

Steve,
Don't know if the dealer we picked up the truck from last Tuesday did any revisions. I sorta doubt it, most of the driving was on interstate 80 and highways speeds. When I hit Boise, after several hours of city driving, there was alot of engine hesitation and missing when starting from a stop at low rpm. I'll ask our local dealer tomorrow if he can install Rev A. Hopefully thats a fix. Thanks for the input!!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:08 AM   #14
mountainmole
Established Member

M.O.C. #4562
Well, still not quite there. Am trying to have a 18k Pullrite Superglide installed and none of the Boise Montana dealers or Pullrite dealers want to do it because Pullrite has not come out with the 07 installation stuff yet. I did confirm with Dodge and the 07 Mega frame is different than the 06. How did you get yours installed? I even called a guy that most of the 5er dealers in our area go to for difficult installs. He wasn't willing without some kind of install instructions and prints and our countdown for having to leave continues, 31 days till liftoff. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #15
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
We also just purchased an 07 Dodge Dually and picked it up today. I asked the salesperson several times about a break in period and he said there isn't one anymore..? Guess I better check the owner's manual and see if it says anything.
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:36 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by judyuk

We also just purchased an 07 Dodge Dually and picked it up today. I asked the salesperson several times about a break in period and he said there isn't one anymore..? Guess I better check the owner's manual and see if it says anything.
Judy, it's in the manual. 500 miles before towing. Then not to exceed 50 mph the first 500 miles of towing. Surprisingly, the 500 below 50 was not really all that difficult. We just planned our first couple of days for that speed, which means reduced distance per so many hours. We took mostly US highways where the speed limit is mostly 55 anyhow and were in some mountains with curves and the like that holds everyone's speed down anyhow.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:20 AM   #17
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Judy, There is a break in, It is not so much for the engine as it is for the rear gear,,,,It is very important to get that broken in properly..I can also tell you if you plan on synthetic oil, Cummins recommends two oil changes before you switch to the synthetic, So that give's you a little insight on the qualities. You have to break those rings in and switching to soon will prolong the breaking period of the rings. on the engine. Salesman are really great at selling, but not to sharp on the workings of the engine and drive train. You have to visit with the mechanic's in the shop to get the real dope. I found that the 500 miles towing at 50 mph was the longest 500 miles I had ever driven.. I guess I should have broke it up into several small trips and it wouldn't have been to bad. I did it all in one day. and Man was I happy went the mileage let me kick her down. That Cummins was just a humming the rest of the way home. Treat it right to start with and you will have a happy life with that machine.

Later John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:27 AM   #18
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by judyuk

Judy, it's in the manual. 500 miles before towing. Then not to exceed 50 mph the first 500 miles of towing. Surprisingly, the 500 below 50 was not really all that difficult. We just planned our first couple of days for that speed, which means reduced distance per so many hours. We took mostly US highways where the speed limit is mostly 55 anyhow and were in some mountains with curves and the like that holds everyone's speed down anyhow.
Thanks... Our Big Sky will be coming off line July 24th and should be here the first week in August so we should be over the 500 miles by then anyway.
We've never had such an ordeal buying a vehicle! We wanted the 410 rearend and the 6.7 Cummins diesel. Since we're at the end of the model year and there was a good rebate program ($3500)this spec was really hard to find. Our dealer was working with other dealers to find the truck. The first truck (inferno red) was in Portland and after the dealer said we could have it, they sold it to someone else. The second truck was in Sacramento, Ca. (white one) and our dealer sent a shuttle driver to pick it up. When he got there (driving from Seattle) he found out the truck had been sold. Unbelievable! The third truck (patriot blue) had just arrived at a dealer close by. Our dealer made a deal with them and the truck was brought to our dealership at 2:00 Friday afternoon. We signed the papers, went back Saturday to pick it up and our dealer said he had received a phone call from the other dealer. They wanted the truck back as they had it sold. Too bad! We have it and they're not getting it
We signed three sets of papers...which all had to be rescinded and each time we agreed on a truck had to renegotiate the price as each truck had something a little different in the features. We did end up with a power sunroof (which we didn't want) and the GPS navigation system (which we also didn't want...but will probably be glad we got).

I really really hope this truck will be worth all the hassles we went through to get it.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:03 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, same problem here. Couldn't find the 4.10 and the 2008's won't be available until September. I was buying the end of May and was not going to wait until September. So we went with the 3.73. The numbers (gvwr, tow, gcwr) are all considerably higher on the 4.10 but the only difference is the rear end. So I guess I'll find out if the 3.73 rear gears can handle the extra load.

John, thanks for the tip on the synthetic. I'd not seen that anywhere. I planned to go with synthetic at the first oil change but will hold off until the second or third change. The truck has 5,100 miles and has not yet told me it needs an oil change. And it's still on the full mark, as of this morning. I was hoping it doesn't need an oil addition because I don't know what brand and weight of oil comes from the factory and I do not like to mix oils.

What I really find surprising is this Dodge 3500's GCWR and Tow Rating numbers are actually lower than my 2005 F250 and the GVWR is only 100 lbs more than the F250. The payload on the sticker is roughly 200 lbs more than the F250. That's it. Kind of supports my earlier comments that we can no longer use a blanket statement that a 1 ton is better than a 3/4 ton. In fact, my F250 had higher numbers in all respects than my 1999 F350, except possibly payload. I don't have payload numbers for the 1999.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #20
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hemlockusa

Judy, There is a break in, It is not so much for the engine as it is for the rear gear,,,,It is very important to get that broken in properly..I can also tell you if you plan on synthetic oil, Cummins recommends two oil changes before you switch to the synthetic, So that give's you a little insight on the qualities. You have to break those rings in and switching to soon will prolong the breaking period of the rings. on the engine. Salesman are really great at selling, but not to sharp on the workings of the engine and drive train. You have to visit with the mechanic's in the shop to get the real dope. I found that the 500 miles towing at 50 mph was the longest 500 miles I had ever driven.. I guess I should have broke it up into several small trips and it wouldn't have been to bad. I did it all in one day. and Man was I happy went the mileage let me kick her down. That Cummins was just a humming the rest of the way home. Treat it right to start with and you will have a happy life with that machine.

Later John
Thanks, John.
I didn't know that. We will be very diligent about it though as that's an expensive truck and we want to treat it right Plus I can't imagine buying another one anytime soon after the ordeal we went through to get this one. Apparently we got the last one on the West Coast.