Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Highway Traveling

Leaving on our first big trip this Thursday.

With the way people drive these days they merge onto the highway and push you over. Do you stay in the right lane or move over to the left lane if you can? But then if you do move over to the left lane you get stuck out there because people pass on the right and will not let you back into the right lane, then people behind you get upset because you are in the left lane.

Any other thoughts or sujestions?

Thanks,
Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
On the highway in rural area I try to stay in the right lane. Around cities if there are more than two lanes I will drive in second from the right. Yes you can get trapped out there but just be careful.

People that drive in the middle lane of a three lane road all the time are a pet peeve of mine.

We are nearly neighbors. Maybe we could catch up sometime. I'll send you a PM
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I get over if I can and if I think I can get back into the right lane. And if I don't **have** to have the right lane right away, like for an upcoming exit. If I can't get over I'll flash lights to tell the merger it's ok to come over. Some understand, some don't.

If I get stuck a lane to the left, I've been known to turn on the turn signals and slowly move to the right side of my lane. Usually that gets some action from the vehicle in my way. If not, then I slow down and force my way in as soon as there is room to do so without endangering anyone.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

If I get stuck a lane to the left, I've been known to turn on the turn signals and slowly move to the right side of my lane. Usually that gets some action from the vehicle in my way. If not, then I slow down and force my way in as soon as there is room to do so without endangering anyone.
Steve, we have done the same thing. Once you turn the signal on telling people you want to move back over to the right most people will let you back in. They would rather let you into the right lane than get stuck behind me in the left ones.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We seem to have good luck on the road and we do many miles.We are very cautious on folks merging because so many of them are on cell phones and have no clue as to what is going on around them. Cell phones and driving are my pet peeve..Think folks that talk on phones and drive sould be treated the same as drunk drivers.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
This is one of the reasons I installed a turn signal light at between my trailer tires. Works wonders on people knowing that I plan on changing lanes...especially those that are next to the light.

Mike
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:35 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I installed the same turn signal as Mike, good idea. I also installed a set of 130 DB Hadley air horns for the drivers who are talking on the cell phone, smoking a cigarette and merging into traffic. It seems they look to the left just as they are coming into my lane of traffic. I just give them a little extra notice of me being in that lane. I do get over when I can, but sometimes there is just nowhere to go.
Ozz
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...mpressor-1.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...mpressor-2.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...pressor016.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...pressor019.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...pressor003.jpg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #8
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Recommend you put your Fisher Plow on and go for it. It changes the non-yielders minds about cutting you off. Maine joke. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We seem to have good luck on the road and we do many miles.We are very cautious on folks merging because so many of them are on cell phones and have no clue as to what is going on around them. Cell phones and driving are my pet peeve..Think folks that talk on phones and drive sould be treated the same as drunk drivers.
I saw on the news the other day where somebody has proposed a new driving offense...DWY (Driving While Yakking).
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:31 AM   #10
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I have noticed an increased amount of a driving disease named "Oblivian Syndrome" in which people entering a highway seem to be totally unaware of traffic going 65 mph down the road they want to enter. I have found that the word "Yield" is not in their dictionary. This in turn has taught me the gift of patience although it has not been an easy lesson. I tend to stay in the right hand lane much of the time as I can understand people not wanting to be behind a truck or trailer even if it is traveling the posted speed limit. When forced to move over because of an oblivian, like Ozz, I will wake them up with a blast of the horn. In some ways it is entertaining to me to see how hard some drivers will work so they won't get behind me for even a minute. Human beings are an interesting lot, especially when they get behind the wheel.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:14 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I recommend that here in California, they put a question on the drivers license exam that has the tester define the work MERGE!

Here in the bay area (CA), if you stay far right where there are more than 2 lanes, forget about getting there without taxing your nerves.

We are not in any hurry and driving the speed limit tends to make us a nuisance. In one trip, we had to slam on the brakes twice to keep the 'yackers' from taking off the front bumper.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:04 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Having driven truck for years I am always cogniscent of the other drivers especially so when I am approaching an on ramp. If I see any vehicles coming down that on ramp I immediately go into a defensive mode. I will immediately look in my mirrors to see if the left lane is clear. If it is I will immediately move over. IF NOT, I will keep a close watch on the merging vehicles BUT I will NOT slow down to let them out. Folks slowing down on any hiway are just looking for trouble. You were probably traveling the speed limit and you know you are slowing down and the guy directly behind you may know but those drivers 4, 5 or 6 cars back, also traveling the speed limit, are not prepared for your sudden slowing and in all probability there will be a chain reaction collision causing more damage and possibly a life or two than your continuing to maintain your speed. The auto manufacturer placed a horn in your vehicle, USE IT! The merging vehicle may end up in the guard rails or he may even bump you but I promise it will be nothing compared to what your sudden deceleration can do. Also, in most states, your slowing and causing such a chain reaction collision is consider as you causing the accident and you will be charged as such. You could end up losing your driver's license and possibly going to jail for negligent homicide if someone died as a result of your slowing. It just ain't worth it.

If you have never taken a course on "Defensive Driving" now is the time to do it. Anyone can drive a car or truck down the hiway with little actual training and anyone can attach a 5er to that truck and haul butt down the Interstate. But, if nothing else, knowing "Defensive Driving" is a must for any driver.

As far as getting stuck out in the left lane, well so be it. I will get over as soon as it is safe even if it's 10 miles down the road. Better safe than sorry.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #13
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Amen to what Glenn said! I agree totally and am sure there are many others out there who also would agree. Good defensive driving and staying alert make a great combination. Great topic for discussion.

Jim

jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote