Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
air intake mod'

this is an air intake I just did on my 7.3, less then $50.00 took less then 30 minutes. hope I did the pics right!

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
precisiongizmo
Established Member

M.O.C. #5382
Ya did good on the pix, Tom. How much does a replacement cartridge cost??
A filter like that looks like a lot less hassel than a K&N cleanable filter.
Bob
precisiongizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Bob this filter cost $43.00 at O'rilleys auto, but you can get them most any auto store including napa, napa# FIL6637, or fleet filter,#46637. All you need for a ford psdis filter, piece of 4" dia. exhaust pipe 3" long and a 4 1/2 " clamp. I could tell instantly when I tried it out the difference in low end response. next week the installation of pryo, boost and tranny guages mounted in a pillar pod, with 4" turbo back exhaust. this old ford does a good job stock but always like to improve!! lolhttp://superdutydiesel.com/wiki2/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=38 this link should get you to DIY
Old 06-15-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Looks like I nice add-on, I like the quick and easy ones.

Does the paper in the new filter look like the quality of the OEM paper?
Did you need to do any thing special with the air sensor.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Dennis this is one of the best quality filter you can get. Its actually a big truck filter
The air sensor is just tied back, nothing special done to it. you can see how the "mod" goes by clicking on the link I provided.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I think this is called a BHAF* on the truck forums.

* Big Honkin' Air Filter.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:32 AM   #7
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
This is a great intake have the same type on my truck. I am running a Donaldson Filter. The filter works great. Changed the first of after a year of being on the truck. I cut the old one open it was clean as new on the inside. What is nice is that you can really hear the turbo whistle.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:53 AM   #8
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have made several posts in relation to modifitations and usually are against them. This is an area that is well worthwhile. Factory intakes and exhaust systems are usually restrictive and high flow air filters and exhaust systems can greately improve driveability and fuel economy. One word of caution. High performance products typically are designed to get the engine over the coarse of the track. But on daily drivers can harm a engine. A race engine is never expected to make it 100k miles. For instance performance air filters do increase flow of air which improves performance, but often this is done by increasing the micron capacity of the element which lets in a little bigger piece of dirt. I have been around hot rodding my whole life, and have seen over and over simply pushing more fuel in for more HP destroys an engine. A true gear head understands that Hotrodding is not bolting on the biggest Carb Summit has to offer or a performance chip. But rather work on the whole system for the optimum effeincy of every item to create a high performance engine. But the filter setup here looks good. Two ways to increase flow is to increase micron or more paper in the element. Older PSD's have a bad choke at the rear of the turbo. Check with Banks systems.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:34 PM   #9
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
If the moderator will delete this post i would be greatly appreaciative. I'm very sorry I didnt check with certain people on the forum about posting a simple modification. LOL, well if you wantta spend a bunch of money I guess "Banks system" would give you an air intake for less then $ 350.00. but oh wait!! thats a "modification" isnt it? lmaoooo ! thanks
Old 06-16-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Tom41,
I don't think you need to delete your post. If you read carefully what is being said I think you'll see that even the posters that are generally against "MODS" are in favor of increased air flow.... both in and out. Thanks for the post and the nice picture.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #11
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
HamRad, thanks but you and I both know most people dont dont what increased air flow is or what it does much less how to accomplish it. You mention "mods" on a tow truck, and mostpeople goes "ape" because they dont understand the "whats" "whys" or the "hows" ! And no I dont have a chip in my truck, but if modifications are done and done right, "BEFORE" adding a chip, and there are good and bad chips. only one I know can build a chip that actually performs like it should ( wont name which one} but even that chip should not be installed until other modifications are performed, I'm NOT trying to build a drag or race truck with my ford, but I "do know" that with a few simple modifications a tow truck will run better, low end response is more, run cooler, and give a little bit better mileage. And you sure as heck dont have to "max" out your credit card, (by the way, I pay "cash") You dont have to pay the high prices that some companies ask. some say that no need to improve on a truck, that the company knew what they were doing, thats very so, but it can be improvment made on "any" truck. Wonder why these same people make so many "modifications" on their Montanas ? after all keystone suppose to know what they doing!! LOL! is it because we can "improve" on these trailers? to better fit our needs, to be more comfortable? The same is for our tow trucks. anyway, i'm thru now. I will keep on doing "mods" on my truck, but with much thought and understanding of what my needs are, just as with the mods on my monty. Its a darn good thing our forefathers werent "scared" to think things out or we might be pulling our "montys" with a pair of mules! Sorry if anyone is offended if so...so be it!!
Old 06-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #12
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
HEY.Leave me and my mules alone.I haven't teased you.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:46 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Tom41,

I see that my feeble attempt to "calm the waters" has simply been ignored and additional items introduced to keep the water churned up. I'm sorry to have intruded. Go for it! At the rate things are escalating it won't be long before the thread is locked or deleted.

Too bad it could have been a really good one.

Out of here.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:30 AM   #14
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
HamRad, you did good!! A good nights sleep does wonders. I guess sometimes I dont make myself clear on such subjects, after all i'm just an old southern country boy. uhmmm, aint that where most of "nascars" best drivers and builders of fast cars come from? hehe anyways nuff of that, but i'll say right now where I stand on doing modifications on tow trucks. I "WOULD NOT" do any modification on a car or truck that "WOULD VOID" the warrenty of that auto. but after that, then the field is wide open. there are great possibilities of improving a tow truck over the factory specs without "maxing" a credit card. I applogize for anything I have said that offended anyone here. Crandallbradey, I like mules, lol, guess cause they stubborn as I am!! ya'll take care, have a wonderful Fathers day !