Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
Splendide washer/dryer? Onan 5500 LP Generator?

Hello everyone, We are wanting to get the stackable w/d in our new unit. Does anyone have any advise on brands for the w/d. Also would like some info. on the onan 5500 LP on board generator. What will it power on your units? How much propane will it use? Is it real quiet? Thank you for all your info.

traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Traveltunes,

We have the 5500 Onan Gold LP. It is super quiet (probably more quiet outside than inside), easy to use, and elegent. Under full load worse conditions it will consume both LP tanks in 13 hrs.

Not sure if the Mountaineer has a generator prep package??? If it doesn't, it is my personal opinion that the on board generator would be a waste of time. It would cost significantly to get it connected to the AC panel, LP, and buy all of the autotransfer switching. You would be money ahead to get the twin Honda AU2000 and the "Y" cord and set them up in your pickup.

Where would you put a stackable washer/dryer?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I wonder the same thing Brad. We love our Spledine but ours is combo.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:05 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Whirlpool also has a stackable W/D that many owners have. Sold at Lowe's and similar places. Be sure the dryer is 110.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:33 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Hi to all, we went to Lowes and ordered a W/D, upon research Delaine determined it would not fit and most employes don't have a clue when you start talking 5th wheels. Its hard to make them understand, 50amp/ 110 volts???? Be very careful about the 110 volts and the exterior size. We got the Splendide Ariston stackable, it has the largest size tub for the dryer and it works very well. We found that there are many different W/D types, but everytime we either couldn't get the size right or the 110 volts. Even with the Splendide Ariston it fills the space up. Its impossible to turn the water or uplug the W/D inside the compartment. However with the outside compart we can turn off the water to each appliance and the fuse box we can turn off the electric. Do lots of research before ordering the W/D. I would like Keystone to design a compartment like the Mobile Suites for the W/D. We are very happy with our Splendide Ariston. I also had to Modify the door its not a foldable door anymore. Good Luck on your choice. GBY

Hi to those Alabama folks.....jrgwdenner..... Hope to see you two again during our travels....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
GBY,

I was really hoping to install a shelf for the Dryer like the Big Sky uses to keep the valves accessible - however, it will take some work and I starting thinking access to the valves is probably not that critical for an RV. I think I'll just use the stack kit like yours so it hides the hoses and cords, and figure something out for the door.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
The Mountaineer doesn't have anything for the w/d or generator. I should have put in the orginal post that we are planning to order a new Big Sky unit soon. Sorry for the confusion. I'll post pics just as soon as we get it. Thanks for the info.
traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ahhh - that makes sense!

I would get the W/D option from the factory. It's not too far off from the aftermarket price and then it's done. Plus you'll get the shelf in the closet for the Dryer.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:14 AM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Great choice on the Big Sky, just don't forget the gen prep when ordering.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
If you are on genny power I would assume you are dry camping? I would think the holding tank and fresh water would be the problem.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We love our Kipor 3000ti gen. It is heavy - 132# w/o fuel, but I can heft it in and out of the back of my pickup on the rare occasion when I don't want to keep it cable locked in the bed of my 2500. It will run all night on one tank of gas (3.5 gals).

Looking forward to our Splendide Ariston stackable also. I did see the shelf in the Big Sky closet, but I need to see a visual of the difference of how that dryer fits in the front closet both with the shelf and with the stackable kit. Could be really tough putting a shelf in the closet of our 2007 3400. Not sure.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

I was all gunhoe on putting in the shelf for the dryer. I even got a plan in mind - However,

My main objective was to have access to the valves and plugs. Once I started thinking about it, unlike a stick house, it would be rare that I would ever need to access the valves or plugs. I've changed my mind and am just using the optional stack kit which lets you remove the dryer by itself (otherwise you have to pull them both out at once). The stacked dryer will actually hide the hoses and cords and may possibly look better anyway.

Brad
Old 03-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I see what you mean, Brad. I'm just wondering if having the dryer disassociated with the washer, that it might elininate extra vibration when the washer goes into the spin cycle. The mass of just the washer during the spin may be less problematic than if both the washer and dryer's mass were involved in any resulting vibration. Just my mind running...
Old 03-03-2007, 04:42 AM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Good Day to all, just a comment about the Splendide Ariston. The Ariston washer now has dial to set different speeds for spinning. You will love that option, we didn't have on the Combo and when it started to spin the 5er would shake. We also have pictures of the Splendide Ariston installed, just haven't figured out how to post on this forum????? Anyway Delaine is posting it on our web site. GBY....

www.webspawner.com/users/lnhdch
Old 03-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The book on the splendide 2100 does say to turn the water off when done washing to relieve the pressure on the valve.Helen saysd that if you stop the W/D to remove some clothing while in the dry cycle and not turn the water off a small amount of will spray into the tub.So you may want to be able to access the water turn offs.Might ber a good idea to check that out on all models..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Good point, Rich. We will watch for that.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #17
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We had the Splendide Combo and we never turned the water off. However its a fact with the Splendide Ariston, stackable you want be able to access the water valve from the inside. But our Cambridge has whats called a Manifold located behind the tank drain valves, and you can turn the washer off there also all water to shower, galley, sinks has their on valve. A great upgrade, hope Keystone add that to the Big Sky. Good Luck, GBY.....
Old 03-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I would love to see that upgrade...
Old 03-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It might be a good idea to read the Splendide book and see what it says about tunning the water off...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #20
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
richfaa, your correct, the Splendide book says you should turn off the water. But if you put a Spendide Ariston in a Cambridge you will not have access to turn off the water inside the 5er. However as I said above you have the ability to turn it off on the outside of the 5er. Actually we all should turn off the main water source if you are going to be gone from the 5er. However we are guilty of not doing that also. Guess we have been lucky. GBY...