Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
dieselman
Established Member

M.O.C. #6615
Air Pressure Monitor

I am curious how many of you use a tire pressure monitor on your trailer, tow vehicle or both. I have been doing some research on tire failure and it seems that a failure is always preceeded by a loss of air pressure. Whether a pressure sensor would activate soon enough to give a person time to get off the road safely or not is something else to consider. The cost for one of these units is around $400.00 dollars including a sensor for each wheel of the trailer. I am not sure if the cost is worth it, unless of course you have a blowout and it destroys the side of your trailer. I always check my tires in the morning when cool and do a hand pat whenever stopped while traveling. I also chech the hub to see if they are hot as well.

Thanks

Carle

dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not use them on the trailer or truck. I, like you, always check tire pressure cold in the morning before heading out. I also run my hands down the tire and hubs while stopped for fuel. The Tahoe has the built in tire pressure monitor. In thinking back I can only recall two times I ever hit the button to see what the tire pressure actually was in the last 11 months. It is my opinion, but I would save the money and use it towards purchasing new tires when these wear down verse buying a monitor system.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I do not have one on either vehicle, although I do check them prior to starting. Seems I read some place where the feds were going to make the TP monitoring system required in all new vehicles. The DW's 06 Acura has one.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
We use a tire pressure monitor. I think it cost $1.29 at Walmart. It is a manual system, but there is no battery to go bad, there are no electronic systems to fail or reboot, it does not try to think it knows what I want to do like the dang door locks.

I think we will continue to do it the way you do, checking it regularly, avoiding overload and watch tire wear. I have had two flats and was lucky to get the rig shut down before the tire shreaded. There is no guarantee that close monitoring will prevent blowouts, but I don't the there is any guarantee with the $400 system.

Safe travels.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I have the Doran Pressure Pro sensors on my Monty and have not had a chance to try them out yet. Last year before we got the Monty, we has a tire give up on our TT and had a lot of damage to the side of it. I had checked the tires less than a hour before and everything looked fine. The tires were less than 3 years old and our insurance adjuster said they looked like they were new. After paying the insurance deductible, delivering and picking up the TT at the dealers and not having the use of it for over 2 months, the Dorans are well worth the cost and one less thing to worry about. If a tire looses air, the in cab monitor will sound an alarm, so you don't have to monitor gauges or anything to know if there is a problem
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
First I'm in noway selling the Pressure Pro Monitoring system. But I must say while on our last trip. We had our Aluminum wheel problem. We had one crack in Houston, after loss of a certain percent of air pressure the PPS sounded the alarm. Had the new wheel crack in less than 200 miles and again the PPS sounded the alarm again. My point is if you lose air pressure the tire will heat up and it will blow out and in most cases it will cause major damage to the 5th wheel. The last two I witnessed after the tire failure was more than $3,500 to repair and both did not have any electrical damage or slide damage. Almost 90% of tire failure is cause by loss of air pressure and heat build up. I carry a Air compressor and in the pass check the Air pressure before each movement. With the PPS all I have to do is push a button and get the air pressure in all 10 tires at any time during the trip. Constant readout. I know the cost is very expensive however, haveing the 5er in the shop for however long it takes to repair and the COST. GBY..
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
We also have the Pressure Pro system on all 10 tires. Had a valve stem come apart on the trailer and saved the tire coming apart. I figure saving the damage to the rig one time will pay for the system. JMHO
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:58 AM   #8
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi We have the Doran syestem on the trailer. We are on the second year with it. It stopped working this week all of a sudden. I called the mfg and Scott walked me through the whole process to find the problem. The problem ended up being the antenna had unscrewed from vibration on the visor. Great company for customer service that seems to be falling by the wayside nowadays. The alarm will sound when air pressure drops 5lbs or so. Don't like hauling without it. We have done over 30,000 miles with it so its part of our feel safer stuff. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote