Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2006, 05:38 AM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Shotgun Question

I am looking to purchase a Beretta Extrema II. Anyone know anything about it and be able to answer a couple of questions?

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
The Beretta A391 you are looking at is a gas operated semi-automatic, it is ideal for long range shooting as it's foder is 3 1/2" magnum shells. However it will operate with lighter loads. It has a special surface protective coating and features a reduced recoil system. Beretta company makes an excellent weapon!!!!! I don't understand why you would need a shotgun that shoots 3 1/2 shells, I have a law enforment background and have never met a bad guy that had a preference as to what gun shot him. Nor a fish that cared what type of pole or reel it was caught on. That being said. Buy and use something that you are happy with..
Safe Travels John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
I was under the impression it would shoot the 2 3/4 as well. I questioned how that was possible when I heard that. Trying to run this dowm before I spend that kind of money. The low recoil system is what I am interested in as well as it's reliability. As for the name I am not into "Hood Ornaments" But when I asked my dealer if there was a comaparble shotgun, he assured me this was the standard. Next it comes down to you get what you pay for.
I am fairly new to shotgun shooting, this past season was my first at Pheasant hunting. I now have the bug.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Shotguns are like cars, beer, wine, dogs, RV's, trucks, music, food, women, men, religion and politics, everyone has an opinion. Mine is this, if you're just going to be a casual hunter and want a good bang for your buck look at the Remington 870's. They are rugged, dependable, and have a large range in finish and price. If you are recoil sensitive look at the 20 ga. or 28 ga. guns. Don't let anyone fool you, a 28 ga. will shoot just as far as a 3 1/2 in. 12 ga. or 10 ga. The difference is in how may pellets there are in the shot column. Larger gauge equals more pellets of the same size in the shell. Get good training, what ever gun you get know it well. Always know what is behind what you're shooting at. Be careful, and have fun.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:58 PM   #5
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291
Hi the shotgun you are wondering about goes for between $600 And $1300 on the Internet, I just did a search on google for a Beretta Extrema II and found hunting clubs and lots of other places with information about that shotgun . one thing that caught me was the price range, (don’t overpay) it will take anything you feed it from 3.5s to3" 2 ¾ shells. If you are going duck hunting the 3.5 shells are the thing to use. For general hunting Pheasant, rabbit, or anything else 2 ¾ it is a very versatile gun.
one thing that was mentioned was pull it to your shoulder and make sure it fits. It sounds like a great gun Take a look at the browning gold series also, what ever you choose be safe and have fun it can be an expensive bug to catch

Rich and Marita
sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
TRUKDOC - Now that you have made it clear that your hunting birds with it. I agree with sweetfire, Remington 870 is probably one of the most reliable field shotguns around. If your worried about recoil I would go with a 20 guage also. I shoot sporting clay quite often and I use a Franchi O/U It has 12 and 20 guage barrel's that change out. My score is with in 3 X's Really no difference except the amount of shot coming out as sweetfire has said. 20 guage is much lower in recoil. If your on the bird with proper lead., You have a DEAD BIRD. You don't have to have something heavy like the A391. The 20 is so much lighter you will enjoy carrying it in the field. (At first I had the impression you were trying to KILL and elephant!!!!
Safe Travels John H
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #7
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
The Beretta is high on my list but not the only due to that it will eat any shell I put in it. Which allows me to get very proficient with the one gun and be able to hunt small bird up to Goose as my hunting develops. In the long run it will be cheaper due to not needing seperate guns for Goose Duck or Quail. Then go skeet shooting all afternoon. The last bird hunt I was on I went through 6 boxes #5's high brass. I was a bit sore the next day.
One hunter had a OU and his whole shoulder was black and blue. An OU may be OK for light shot but I do not see me shooting heavy shot through it.
I am getting better at skeet I dont have to empty the gun to get one clay target anymore. I have gotten 3 for 3 and can usually get 2 of 3.
Thanks for the input it will help me make a choice and be more informed.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Whatever shotgun you settle on, do NOT go Quail hunting with Dick Cheney!

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:01 PM   #9
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
LOL I hear ya.
But as a hunting partner I have already learned to never get forward of a gun barrel. And make sure everyone knows where you are at.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:09 AM   #10
Montana_4946

M.O.C. #4946
Trukdoc,
As a beginner, my advice would be to get an 870, with the 3 in mag receiver, preferably parkerized. Spare barrels are readily and cheaply available including slug and 30 inch ones.

The Remington is a proven and time tested design and almost anyone can work on one.

One thing to make sure of is that the stock fits you, that is the main problem with beginning shotgunners, stock fitment.

If you absolutely have to get an auto, check the 1100 series they are also well thought of.

I do like the Xtrema and the Benelli Super series, but they are both more expensive.
Note: I did not say expensive - since I shoot Beretta o/u's I know what expensive is -look to Perazzi or Kreighoff.

If you would like more info, drop me a PM.
I am an NRA shotgun instructor (among other things).
Montana_4946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #11
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
I am not a total begginer. I have been progressing over the past 8 years. I have 2 Mossberg pumps, for a cheap shotgun, it has been a good gun. I do have a auto Winchester Mod 140. It hold 3 shells and I can hit most of the time 3 clay targets. It is very limited to ammunition availabitity. And the hunting I have gotten into is European Phesant hunting. The birds have 60 yards to gain altitude and speed. I just do not feel the Winchester is doing the job. I am wanting to go to heaveier shot and the gun wont let me.
Then there is the practical part. I have friends that Goose and Duck hunt. Gene bought a gun especially for a goose hunt he was going on and spent $1100.00. The extrema as I see it will shoot a 2 3/4 shell down to 1 oz up to a 3 1/2 2 oz shell. Far as I can figure that is the one and only gun to cover it all.
And since the $1460.00 is my side work money, cost is not really the issue. I pretty well made most of that today doing some hydraulic consulting and fabrication.
My next question is I have come up with the idea that a longer barrell is better. My winchester has a 28" barrell. The local gunshop I got a price from and have done most of my buying through and pretty much trust their experteise. Reese has told me that unless I load my own ammunition, I am better off with the 26" barrell due to that is where over counter ammo is loaded for. With a full choke on a 28" barrell I loose velocity and pattern integrity. And my Winchester seems to have taught me that though I did not understand it was due to barrell length. My thinking is in line with Rifles, longer is better. I have gone to a modified choke and seems to be better with the 28" incher. But since I am shopping for a new gun maybe I am better off with the shorter barrell from the get go.
Not to mention I like getting all the opinions here from the MOC.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:05 AM   #12
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Well as you probably expected from my posts I went with the Extrema. I am extremely pleased with it. For giggles and grins I loaded a 2 3/4", 3", and a 3 1/2" shell and pulled the trigger three times and did not miss a beat! To break it in I burned 4 boxes of 3" shells with 2 oz shot. It had a bit of kick but after 4 boxes I was done but not so sore I couldnt hold my arm up. I got it with the new kick off system. Well worth it. I went with the 26" barrel that too seems like a good selection. I appreciate everyones input, and the recomendation to anyone wanting to get one that it is one heck of a gun.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:19 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
John H sure has a way with words... we have 2 Remington 870's that we acquired over the years. One long barreled that we used for Birds/ Rabbits, Skeet, Trap, Etc . The other very short(but Legal) barrel much like the ones you see hooked to the dash of a patrol car. I like to keep that one 'around" We have some very pricey firearms just because we wanted them but like John says My trusty stock Military Remington 1903/A1 30-06 blew up a deer same as my Remington Model 700BDL 30-06. The game had no preference.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:50 AM   #14
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trukdoc

I am looking to purchase a Beretta Extrema II. Anyone know anything about it and be able to answer a couple of questions?
Rick,
I have the Beretta Urika 391. For me this is a great gun. Just enough weight to absorb recoil but not to heavy and very dependable. I use mine for upland and trap and am very happy with it.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:07 AM   #15
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
trukdoc
I own several shotguns, the Beretta AL391 is just one, along with a Browning BPS, an Ithaca "shorty" from the NM State Police, and several single shots from various mfgrs. I also had ( got stolen in Las Cruces at the State 4H shooting competion ) one of the early Remington 1100's. I like the Beretta the most.

You have purchased a very fine semi - auto. It should give you many, many years of trouble free shooting, but it IS a semi - auto, and requires a little extra cleaning to insure smooth operation. They don't like dirt, rust, or grime.

I tried to post a link to an awsome exibition shooter with the Extrema 2, but it didn't work. If you want to see it, give me your e-mail add. and I'll send it.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:33 AM   #16
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
We are a Remington BDL family too. I shoot a .243, steve a .308. Antelope, deer, elk, whatever I have shot with my .243. Shotgun wise, I have been holding out for years for a Browning Citori 20ga over and under featherweight with the fancy engraving and the high end walnut stock...oooh, now that's purty! Maybe when I graduate...
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #17
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Lonnie, watching that video is what sold me on buying one.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:27 AM   #18
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Me too trukdoc, man that guy can shoot. The speed at which that shotgun cycles is what sold me, 12 rounds in 1.73 seconds. Not that I could ever get on target that fast, just the fact that it functioned so well.

Tara, the young son, Chance shoots a Remington .243 among others, and the old son Travis shoots a Remington .30-06 among others. I prefer Ruger and some custom builts in various calibers. Vanessa prefers to NOT shoot, poor girl.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:55 AM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Guess I should have come here with my gun questions instead of the Antique Gun Message Board. We have a couple of guns that were my Dad's that we were trying to find info on. Stupid me didn't listen well when he was telling me about them. We were mainly trying to find out the age of them. One is a Stevens pump 22. The other is a Cresent 410 "Quail Hammerless" and has stamped on the barrel "not for ball". My Mother gave them to us several years ago when we bought the gun cabinet for our other guns. I didn't know she still had them. My Father was gone by then so couldn't ask him. One of these was given to my Dad on his 12th birthday but we don't know if it was new. That would have been 1924.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #20
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Sue,
I'm no expert on old guns, and I'll be the first to admit it. There are probably several here that know more. Given the fact that I have never seen or heard of Crescent shotguns, and that it is stamped Not For Ball, I would be willing to bet it's the older of the two. The Stevens pump .22 is a little more familiar. Stevens manufactured rifles and shotguns that were sold primarily through department stores, most notably, Sears Roebuck & Co., and Whites. There are still a lot of Stevens shotguns around, I have a 12 ga. single shot. Other than that, someone else will have to enlighten us all.