Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Montana_5560

M.O.C. #5560
Tow Vehicle & 3400

We are looking at purchasing a new Montana fifth wheel and tow vehicle are looking at the model 3400 or 3475. The brochure shows the hitch weight of 2165 lbs. and 2150 lbs. for both models. We are considering purchasing a Ford F-250 SRW shortbed 4x2 with a 6.0 Powerstroke diesel and a super glider hitch. Our plans are to use our new RV for traveling.

I am wondering if the F-250 will have enough payload capacity (rated at 3000 lbs) or should we be looking at the F-350 4x2 to pull the RV we are looking at. If the F-350 is the better choice, we are considering the shortbed to allow us to get the truck in our garage, but I am concerned at the ride of the F-350 when not towing our trailer. I appreciate any feedback on which tow vehicle we should purchase for these model RV's and for use when we are not pulling the RV. Thank you.

Montana_5560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I will let my picture and signature do the talking for me. I also highly recommend the Superglide, I have it and love it. Would not be without one as long as I have a shortbed.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Jerry, good choice on the 5vr. The truck may be a little light. I ordered a new F350 6.0 PSD with the short bed and single rear wheels. I will be pulling a 3650RK and the loaded pin is about 2900#. This would put me dangerously close to max payload on the F250. Good luck with your choice of truck. Any of the one ton trucks will serve you well.

Oh,,, and welcome to MOC
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:37 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You can expect to see folks who have what ever they are towing with say they are happy with it as well they should and some will come up with all kind of figures to show that the truck in question will do the job..of course it will.

We will be pulling the 3400Rl. We have the Ford F-350, V-10. the diesel is a better motor for lots of travel.We did not want the diesel.It is a Crew Cab, more room, it is a long bed,did not want to deal with slider hitches (the long bed is less expensive than the slider hitch), could use the extra room, do not keep it in a garage, it is filled up with cars. It is a dually..We figured more rubber on the road. wider wheel base, more stability, no need to worry about pin weight on any Montana. It is a rougher ride when not towing, You have to pick your parking spots.It is heavy will get less MPG. If this is your everyday ride besides towing it can be a hassle.. Everything is a compromise.We got the biggest truck we could afford,,key word "afford" We made mistakes in the past by buying the truck that we needed now then finding out we should have went bigger..Execpt for the diesel motor there is no bigger. Asorb what folks will say then do what suits you best.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:20 AM   #5
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
The price difference between a F250 and F350 is small so I would look at going to the F350.
Also keep in mind what am I going to use the vehicle for when not towing.
If you go with the crew cab and a 6 1/2' bed, the truck with be about 1 1/2' shorter that a super cab and a 8' bed.
Stay with the short bed and with a super glide hitch you have a great set-up.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:39 AM   #6
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
There seem to be two things most people agree on: (1) all of the big three pick-up manufacturers make quality products and (2) for the difference in price, the one-ton is the smart option when hauling a 5er like a Montana. Most seem to prefer diesels. The decision re SRW or dually, short bed or long bed, seems to be influenced more by how and where you will be driving the truck when NOT hauling the Monty. I have yet to see a post indicating significant problems with TVs produced by any of the big three. Lots of folks haul Montys with 3/4 ton, short-bed pick-ups, most with slider hitches, many with air bags or other additions that allow them to carry heavier weights.
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:11 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Just to add a little to what has been said I feel very strongly that you would be making a mistake if you didn't buy a truck with four wheel drive!! You will get your money back at trade-in that you paid out for the 4X4.
Plus in allot of camp grounds you will need to get on grass to park or pull out on grass to leave and you MAY need the extra traction. You will loose very little in MPG and there is little wear on the 4X4 when not in use.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:19 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

Just to add a little to what has been said I feel very strongly that you would be making a mistake if you didn't buy a truck with four wheel drive!! You will get your money back at trade-in that you paid out for the 4X4.
Plus in allot of camp grounds you will need to get on grass to park or pull out on grass to leave and you MAY need the extra traction. You will loose very little in MPG and there is little wear on the 4X4 when not in use.
I agree with having four wheel drive. There have been several times in the past 5 years when we couldn't move our Montana on wet ground after it had set for a few days. With our 4x4 we were able to pull right out. I wouldn't be without it. It will save you a lot of grief but you will get a little less mpg (not really noticeable though).

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:56 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Four wheel drive is a good option. If the extra weight and the reduction in Tow capacity is not a issue it would be a good buy. For evey one who has said there has beena need for 4 wheel drive there will be another who has not had the need. In 15 years of camping in every kind of campground we have never had the need for 4 wheel drive. Most campgrounds will NOT let you tear up their grass by pulling out of a campsite should you get mudded in , They will have a tractor and boards and will pull you out rather than have you tear up the turf. However your needs come first..
Old 03-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #10
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Rich that may be true about a pull type trailer but I've never seen a tractor pull a 5th wheel trailer yet? When you get your 3400 I bet you'll be in the grass to put it where it needs to be. The PIC in my signature is a private CG and its all grass sites, and a great CG. See-Ya
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #11
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I also endorse the recommendation for 4X4. In the past year I have only been in one situation where I needed the 4X4 to move the Monty ... but I am VERY glad I had it! It also keeps me moving in a straight line when there is snow on the ground. As for fuel efficiency, I am getting 20-22 mpg on the highway at 100km/hour (62.5 mph) when NOT towing the Monty and 15-16 mpg when towing at the same speed. I am NOT unhappy with those figures.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

Rich that may be true about a pull type trailer but I've never seen a tractor pull a 5th wheel trailer yet? When you get your 3400 I bet you'll be in the grass to put it where it needs to be. The PIC in my signature is a private CG and its all grass sites, and a great CG. See-Ya
Hummm. I never thought about that..I was thinking about the 4 wheel drive when We got the truck last year and could not think of a single reason whay we needed one.. never needed one before.. but we had a TT. Where were you and this information last Feb..

Oh well will wait till 08 and see how the new diesel motors and diesel fuels turn out and what a good excuse to trade for a diesel and 4 wheel drive.. That is if any of us can afford to by fuel for them by then.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #13
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
On the subject of 4 wheel drive - it does reduce capacity of the rig and you are dragging about 600 lbs. of dead weight around all the time.

Personally, I recommend the one ton because of the increased size of laod bearing components - such as wheel bearings and ring and pinion gears. Bigger diameter, less rotation per mile, less wear per mile of use.
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #14
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Just to provide some detail to John's comment, the towing capacity of my 4X4 Dodge 3500 is 400 lbs less than it would be if it were a 4X2. There is no difference in GVWR but the payload in my 4X4 is 430 lbs less than it would be if it were a 4X2. Like everything else in the "RV game", you have to pick your compromises!
Old 03-19-2006, 04:19 PM   #15
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
At one time, Dodge had the shortest short bed, with Chevy having the longest. Don't know what the speces are these days. In 2003 when I purchased my TV, that was the case. That being said, I purchased a slider hitch for use with the shortbed. I have used it once - just to see if it worked.

When I did, I noticed that I had about 1" clearance between the back of the pinbox and the tail gate. If installing and using a slider hitch, be careful the first time!
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #16
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Not trying to scare anyone but my last tv did not have 4X4 and I almost slid of a mountain in Maine. My new tv has 4X4
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:23 PM   #17
2inamonty

M.O.C. #1837
My wife and I are fairly new to 5th. wheeling but we went through a similar quandry as you are when we started out. So for what it is worth from a couple of neophytes this was our experience.
We purchased our 3255RL before our new F-350 short box 4X4 diesel dually had arrived at the dealer. A friend loaned us his F-250 diesel SRW 4X4 to travel to Iowa to pick up the Montana. Our trip back to Ontario was not that comfortable. In fact half way back we were making plans to sell the Montana and buy a motorhome. The ride, stability and comfort I was accustomed to while towing our 30 foot boat just wasn't there. It seemed to be a constant struggle to maintain control and the freeway hop and wandering were simply awful. When we got back to Ontario my Ford dealer gave me his personal F-350 dually to try for a day of travelling some of the same roads we had been on with the F-250 and the difference was amazing. Same engine in both vehicles so power was never an issue. The torque of the 6.0 PSD is terrific. But the increased stability and control while towing with the F-350 compared to the F-250 was like night and day. And whether it was perception or reality it felt like the trailer was controlling the smaller F-250 while the F-350 was controlling the trailer. We have just returned from a 4500 mile trip to Florida and back without a concern over the tow package. At times on the interstate you had to look in the mirrors to know the Monty was still there. Short box, long box, slider hitch air ride, all those things will probably be the same whether you buy a 3/4 or one ton. And there are a great group of experienced people on this forum that can answer those questions better than me. But from this newbie's experience we are very happy we went with the bigger diesel powered TV. Good luck with your choices and welcome to what we have found to be the most helpful RV forum.
Ron.
2inamonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:34 PM   #18
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
2inamonty, thanks for that post. I haven't ordered either yet, but hearing from real comparative experience is very useful in making my decisions.
Thanks again.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #19
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ain't a gonna go through all the logic (or justifications) for the decisions. Simply to say my F250, SRW, Longbox, 4x2, diesel gets the job done over hill and dale. The "which truck is best" quandry will never be ultimately settled. Pick the one you like and don't look back. Enjoy.....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:55 PM   #20
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I have used my 4WD many times at campgrounds. sometimes just going up hill in loose gravel! I won't be with out it ever again!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote