Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2005, 04:34 AM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
My Turn

Hi everyone, this is one of the few posts I have done. Iam the other half of wagonmaster, the master (just kidding). We took that name from my dad who passed away last year. When we were all younger and everyone had tts and when camping with cb radios he was the wagonmaster. I want to gratefully thank everone for their prayers and thoughts for me during this cancer ordeal. I am feeling really good and after radition I will be raring to go full time. Only question I have to the women is do you ever wake up and say to your self, this is it, this is my home, no more house? How long does it take to get over not having anymore roots? We are going to store our furniture so that if the time comes when we can't rv any more we can get a small apartment Thanks again so very much. Your like family Janet& Jack

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:47 AM   #2
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Glad to hear that you are doing fine, and hope to see you somewhere down the road.....Happy camping..and stay well.
Wendell
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:28 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Janet
We are so thankful you are doing well. You have a great spirit. Keep it up and you will make it. My prayers continue to be with you.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:40 AM   #4
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Janet ... So very glad to hear to feeling good. Please know my best wishes and prayers are with you.

As far as when you stop asking yourself those questions ... for me, after almost 30 months of full-timing, I still occasionally ask myself those very questions. I always thought I was one of those who needed "roots" and therefore, it was very difficult for me to give up the house and take on this lifestyle ... and it's certainly not a lifestyle for everyone. I have to admit I still have moments (albeit, very brief ones) when I ask myself "what were you thinking?" But, at least for me, the benefits have outweighed the negatives. And, I'm hoping that all the travel and new experiences will make me a not-quite-so-boring person ... at least in the eyes of my granddaughters.

You'll probably find that once you "personalize" your Montana so that it doesn't look like every other Montana out there, it will make it much easier to think of it as your home. It worked that way for me ... now if I could just come up with a way to get another bathroom!

It also helps to have hobbies/interests that can be pursued in a much smaller environment. I know there are a lot of quilters in the MOC ... I (attempt to) knit and crochet. Reading and writing my Postcards also occupy my brain and don't require much space in the Montana.

Please feel free to email me any time ... I'm sure you'll have a few more questions in the coming months.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Janet, I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better. I have felt this is home from the beginning. I was thrilled to leave the confines of the house and all our "stuff". In 6 years I have not longed for a stick house or roots. I do miss my women friends and the consistency of those friendships that only time creates. But, I have met some great women along the way with whom I maintain a traveling friendship via email and phone. Like Vicki, please feel free to email if you have any questions I might help with.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:42 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't know that my opinion, as a man, would count for much so I just want to add to something Vicki said. About personalizing your Montana. To me, the two things that most make our Montana seem like a real home to us are 1) pictures of kids and grandkids and drawings/colorings the grandkids did on the wall, the fridge, etc. And, 2), taking a clue from another member, mtmytmax, and buying several small 110v lamps and spreading them around the Montana. Now we use those lights and have the nice, soft lighting you get in a stick home. No longer do we use the harsh lights inherent in nearly every RV. We also moved furniture around to suit us better. And did many other little touches.

Most of these were Vicki's ideas and she did a great job with them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Janet,
Glad you are doing well... Prayers and happy thoughts are with you..
I have decided that my home is wherever Kevin is... Course, I have never lived anywhere more than 6 years.... so my "roots" have never been too deep anywhere. Having said that... it becomes easier every day to think of this little place as HOME... and when we get off work in the PM... asking "ready to go home?" doesn't seem wierd at all.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:17 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We came to the conclusion that "Home" is wherever we are, i.e. we make the home, not the geography. Right now, we are in Honk Kong, living in a flat not much larger than an RV. That is our home and will be for about a year because we are here. I still own a home in Houston, in harms way, which I wish I didn't own. I am glad my Montana is on high ground in a protective environment. Through our decision to go full time, God prepared us to take this assignment in Hong Kong. When we are in His will, we ARE at home.

Really glad for your improved health. Happy fulltime RVing....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 07:59 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
My oldest daughter gave me a little plague years ago that says Home is whereever Mother is. And I believe that home is what we make it, happy and inviting or sad and depressing. We are home and so home is whereever we are.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 02:05 AM   #10
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Janet,

Congratulations on your successful health improvement, and best wishes for a full recovery. I'm also a cancer survivor, and that experience has helped me to view life as a gift that allows me to wake up every day and look forward to new experiences. After my husband passed away, I decided to sell the big house, two cars and all the furniture, etc. and hit the road. I decided if I ever live in a stick structure again the big furniture probably wouldn't fit, and it wasn't worth paying for storage for an indefinite period of time. I've never looked back on that decision.

I have my two furry companions with me, and they help make my home a welcoming place to spend every night. I traveled extensively in my career, and I really appreciate the fact that I can now sleep in my own bed every night, yet still have the travel adventures, seeing new places and meeting new people.

Good luck in your evolving life!
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:25 AM   #11
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
Janet,
So glad to hear that you are doing well,keep a positive outlook on life and enjoy each new day. We have been fulltiming for over a year now and where we park the RV is where home is at that time. John has made so many improvements in our Big Sky it is just like a small apt... We no longer have a stick home just a few items in a climate control storage area. Enjoy your fulltiming and see this wonderful country of ours..... Marge
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote