Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Do you remember when

I was thinking about "fender skirts" and it started me thinking about other words that quietly disappeared from our language with hardly a notice.
Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs." Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to them.
Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and
spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.
When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."
I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed."
Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you
could ride the "running board" up to the house?
Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore:
"store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these
days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.
"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "worldwide" for granted.
This floors me.
On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure.
When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply "expecting."
It's hard to recall that this word "divorce" was once said in a whisper. And no one is called a "divorcee" anymore. Certainly not a "gay divorcee."
Come to think of it, "confirmed bachelors" and "career girls" are long
gone, too.
I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.
Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I
came across the other day: "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!
Here's a word I miss: "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffeemaker." How dull! Mr. Coffee, I blame you for that.
I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "Electrolux." Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"
Food for thought: Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody
complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening their kids with castor oil anymore.
Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most is "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Now your making me feel old
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:10 PM   #3
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Just think, will our kids have these kind of memories?????
Old 09-02-2005, 01:09 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kathi

Just think, will our kids have these kind of memories?????

Well DUH!!

Now there's a word(?) I wish would disappear along with "Awesume".

How about...
rumble seats
flathead V8
3 deuces
dual quads or dual 4 barrels
4 on the floor or 3 on the column
a clutch
and for a trucker--"double clutchin" No there wasn't 2 clutches
burning rubber or squealing the tires
Hot Rod
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:00 AM   #5
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
How about a Brodie!!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I'm stoked by this conversation! It's really bitchin'. (translation from 1963 California Surfereze - I'm excited, it's great!) Aah, the language of our youth.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:50 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Kathi..checked out your age..you are way to young to remember most of those things..I however remember them all.Had a 56 Ford with fender skirts.Dad had a 50 Buick with Dyna-flow..I can still smell the castor oil that my Mom said was good for you..
How about seat covers..when you got a new car you also got a letter from Fingerhut offering those clear plastic seat covers.
"Porch" Most kids today do not know what porch is.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #8
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
rich, I remember very well because I had a older sister and brother that literally lived the 50's like there was no tomorrow. My sister had those pettycoats that had the balloons in the hem. You had to blow them up so that your dress would stand way out. She gave those to me and I used them. Boy was that a flop......I always hung out with their friends. I didn't like the kids my own age. They were just to blah.....LOL
Old 09-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Forgot about those "hoop skirts" Remember that a girl could not get in a car because the skirt would not fit in the door and they could not sit down in them. I was a teenager during the 50's ..such an Innocent decade..You actually danced with a girl..slow dancing was a...good thing....Earth Angel..by the penguins..Loved that song...
Old 09-02-2005, 05:15 PM   #10
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
How about poodle skirts and duck tails?
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:42 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well you may have called it "duck tails" but I had a DA or more commonly refered to as a "ducks A@@"

Forget the hoop skirts, poodle skirts and pettycoats. Let's move up a few years to the MINI-Skirt. Not many males that won't remember them and how about Short-Shorts.

And what male teenager would be caught dead wearing torn jeans or baggy pants with the crouch below his knees?

Dick Clark and American Bandstand. Years before it became "Dick Clark's American Bandstand" it was just "Dick Clark's Bandstand" originating in south Philly back in the 50's and no red blooded southeast Penna teenager, male or female, would miss running straight home after school to watch it LIVE on their BLACK and WHITE, 13 inch TV. Although I was not a dancer we all longed for a chance to get on "Dick Clark's Bandstand".
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:31 AM   #12
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
We used to "drag main" and "burn rubber". Or boogie on down to the fountain for a Malt. Still have a 56 Ford in the garage and a couple hot rods that need finishing. Started on them back in High School and still not done? Where has the past 45 years gone?

Starting to feel the urge to fire up the old Fairlane and cruise. Or maybe I should dust off some of the project cars and see if I can have them running by the time I turn 65?

So much to do and so little time. Guess I will have another cup of java and think about it a little longer. See ya on the flip flop!
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 05:20 AM   #13
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
OK - let's see, I remember having blue suede shoes, red brushed hushpuppies, skinny belts with 2 buckles, shoes with a lightening bolt cut into the leather on the side, a bicycle like PeWee Herman's, cards and balloons on the bike wheels to hit the spokes to make them VaRooom !! Drive-ins - don't forget the drive-in theaters !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:15 AM   #14
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
There were Drive-in's and then there were Drive-in's. One was great for necking and the other for hamburger and a shake. Anyone still have their penney loafers, girls I mean? The boys weren't quite as kool! Kookie lend me your comb! Let's do the twist! and on and on.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:24 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a drive in theater right here in town..Exit 151 on the Ohio turnpike..You can see it when you drive by.One of the very few left and it draws huge crowds every night.Little necking here..mostley families and kids..of course never checked the back rows???