Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
Slider in Short Box Chevy

We presently have a 16K Reese hitch. We have a 2003 Silverado Short box. We want to tow a 3400RL Montana. Does anyone out there tow with a regular hitch or should we get a slider?
Please advise?

dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well you are going to get alot of opinions on this one, but for me and my peace of mind I went with the fully automated Superglide. All I have to do is hook and drive, no need to worry about having to watch for tight corners or remembering to slide things back and forth. The Superglide does it all for me. I have the 04 Silverado short bed along with towing a 3400RL and could not be happier. I know there are some folks who dont have a sliding hitch and are 100% happy with it, again this is just my opinion but if you can afford it get the Superglide or any sliding hitch. It will probably save you money in the long run from unwanted repair bills from the truck and coach meeting during a tight turn.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:21 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I have to have a slider because when I get home I have to make a sharp backup with an uphill dip to get into my drive. I would definately hit without the slider.

Get the slider or trade for a longbed.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:37 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I am towing with a long bed with a 16K Draw-Tite hitch and have about 8" clearance on the cab when making sharp turns. There are several MOC'ers pulling with short box trucks and slider hitches and think that all will advise you to use the slider.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:13 AM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
dchafer,

Reese and drawtite are about the same so I am pretty sure you can get a slider kit for you hitch. The rails bolted on the truck should be the same along with the top portion of the hitch. So you should not have an expensive installation. But to make sure you might call Reese for tech support.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:48 PM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Montana Sky said it well, but this is how it equates for me: peace of Mind when towing = PullRite SuperGlide!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:12 PM   #7
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi We have a slider but have yet to find an occasion that it was needed. Been in a lot of tight uneven places but so far not a need. Built it myself from an old RBW so someday I really would like to find a need to slid it. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #8
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We needed our slider hitch at least 3 times on the last trip. Mostly to reverse into awkward sites. We definitely needed it at Bluewater Key and Fort Wilderness!!!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #9
fc5v
Established Member

M.O.C. #3774
Hi. We have a 2004 Sierra crew cab/shot box. Use a Reese 16k slider,
To tow a 2003 3255RL. Have not found a need to use the slide yet! I might just try it to make sure it still works.
fc5v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:00 PM   #10
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I'm with MontanaSky and Wordsmith. They said it all. We have the SuperGlide and wouldn't be without it.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:30 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've only "had" to use the slider 4 times in ten years but would not be without it anyhow. There was one time we were in a so-called pull-thru. Long story but we could not back out the way we came in, had to go forward onto a very narrow lane with big trees on each corner of our narrow site. Without the slider we would not likely have been able to get out of the site. On the other three situations we needed the slider to get into the sites but we could have just chosen a different site if no slider.

If you can swing the $$ I'd recommend the superglide others mentioned. If not, then a manual will serve you just fine but with risk of crashing truck to trailer should you forget to slide the slider.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #12
Montana_4413

M.O.C. #4413
As to a slider I used the following in deciding to purchase an automatic slider. Calculate the total installed cost of a non slide hitch. Now add the total cost of a truck and trailer collision while backing or turning too sharply. Find the differance between these two numbers and you have the true cost of a non slider hitch
Montana_4413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:10 AM   #13
riverrun

M.O.C. #4442
HI FOLKS: We are just now buying a 3865fl and looking at a new 06 Ford 350 diesel. I was under the impression that a long bed was pretty much required but I'm seeing alot of u folks doing shortbeds. Having the choice in front of me what would you reccommend?
ALSO: what about 4x4, crew cab vs sukpercab(am worried about length!) Anything else you would be sure to get if you were walking into the truck dealership??
THANKS
riverrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:41 AM   #14
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
riverrun,
As you can see, we have a short box crew cab 4x4. We spent a lot of time analyzing which configuration to get. We previously had an extended cab short box truck, but weren't pulling a 5er, we had a TT. We went with the crew cab because we often will take others on day trips when camping with a group. We also bring our dog with us on every trip and his crate fits well in the back seat. Also, in parking lots, when you open the extended cab's rear doors, you block access to entering because those doors are hinged at the rear, not the front. We got a short box because I wanted to keep the length of the truck as short as possible, but it still won't fit in our current garage. As to the 4x4, well, I'd always wanted one, my wife indulged me, and we have lots of fun going places where only a 4x4 can get. My suggestion is to sit down and write out a list of what your needs and preferences are (both of you) and let that guide your decision.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:22 AM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I went with the crewcab shortbed for two reasons. 1>. I wanted the extra room for friends and family while on the road. 2>. The crewcab longbed would not fit into my garage, but this one does. I would say get the truck that most fits your needs, as either one will do the job for you. Just remember to double check the towing specs for each model. As far as going 4x4 vs 4x2 I would say go 4x4. I have found a few places where I needed the 4x4 to get me backed into that spot. (gravel road and campsites). I also use this truck all winter so the 4x4 was a requirement for me.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:50 PM   #16
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Honestly, there are as many views on supercab verus crew cab and 4x4 versus 4x2 as there are people who have them. I went with the SuperCab because of overall length and simply because I like that look better.

I had always wanted a 4x4 so when I found the truck I wanted that also had that feature, I went for it. It has already paid for itself as the truck became stuck when we were backing the Montana into the back yard after our first camping trip in it. Used four wheel drive and it pulled everything out to where I could go around the spot where it was bogging down. It made a TRUE believe out of me!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #17
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
If you have grandchildren they will soon out grow the extended cab they grow up fast 4X4 helps a lot when you get in a bind but you can get stuck even with a 4x4 you can seebelow what i have and the 4x4 has been a plus in wet weather or grass sites after a rain
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:36 AM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fc5v

Hi. We have a 2004 Sierra crew cab/shot box. Use a Reese 16k slider,
To tow a 2003 3255RL. Have not found a need to use the slide yet! I might just try it to make sure it still works.
Iffn ya come to Avalon you will be needin that slider.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:10 AM   #19
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Everyone pretty well sumes it up. You need to get a slider for your 16K reese hitch. We have the 2005 GMC with the standard (short) bed and we added the slider with our signature series 18K Reese hitch. So far I have not had to use it, but as some have said, there will be days getting out of some of the older campgrounds you will. Its peace of mind. Yes the automatic slider would be nice, but not necessary.

Ken and Velda
Mindy (Our spoiled cocker spaniel)
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana w/automatic satellite dome/dish
2005 2500HD GMC 4x4 Crewcab with Duramax/Allison and edge/attitude, 45 gal transfer flo tank, Air Lift air springs, and Doran tire pressure alert system.

ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:36 AM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Keep the slider lubed up. I have one for peace of mind but never use it. Needed it last week and it's locked up (won't move) from rust on the rollers.

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW Gen - great for the lake!
New '06 F350 Stroker towmoter in July - love the new trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR named Dam-It - occassional tow buddy

I ain't as good as I once was - but I'm as good once as I always was - Toby Keith

Brad & Dory
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote