Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2005, 09:29 AM   #1
Montana_3158

M.O.C. #3158
Dual Pane Windows

Going full time buying a Montana, we need to know the pros and cons of purchasing dual pane windows?

Montana_3158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I heard they work prity good but they do have a problem on some loosing there nitrogin between the glass seal, and start to sweat inside the air gap. plus it's a lot more weight on the GVW which cuts down on your stuff to carry.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:21 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We don't have them but wish we did. The next one will have them. We spend some time in very cold weather and they sure would help with that. I've heard they help in hot weather, too. I don't know how much weight they add but doubt it would be enough that our truck would notice it or care. I'm more concerned about our comfort. Just my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jaski825

We are looking to buy a Montana to go full time. In shopping the salesman told us that the dual pane windows were not worth the extra cost. I need some help in deciding weather to get them or not.
Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lady RV

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jaski825

We are looking to buy a Montana to go full time. In shopping the salesman told us that the dual pane windows were not worth the extra cost. I need some help in deciding weather to get them or not.
How warm do you want to be in the winter and how cool in the summer it will also make it quiter inside the trailer too.

TT2
Old 02-16-2005, 03:10 AM   #6
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
We looked at ordering the dual panes on our new 3475. After hearing about the seals breaking down after 2-3 years, the extra weight, the high cost and the fact that you only get sliding windows with dual panes we decided against them. We like having the wind out windows so they can be kept open during a rain. Also I understand that the little slider in the bedroom slide doesn't open if you get dual panes.

Having said all that, if you use the trailer in very cold or very hot situations you may want them. Everything is a tradeoff and there's no right answer.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:33 AM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we have them in ours and love them! our bedroom windows do open. I don't know if the model your refering to doesn't, but ours do. we use the bedroom windows often! I think for full timers they are great! for part timers, I'm not so sure you'd get your moneys worth.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:01 AM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Ours open too... and we do open windows in the rain... on the downwind side. Failing that there is also the AC... but we haven't needed it on a rainy day yet.

We don't get condensation in the rain. We had neighbors here who had to wipe down their windows twice a day so they didn't drip. We were fine.

As for wieght... some of those sales men quote the total wieght of the windows... something like 800 pounds. You have to deduct the wieght of the regular windows from that.

Sliders are simple... no cranks, worm gears etc to wear out.

If you want to add exterior sun shades, the sliders can be opend, the crank outs can't.

More parks are charging for power. You save on both heat and air conditioning. You increase the resale value.

They were a "deal breaker" for us.

I bet the salesman who was trying to talk you out of then didn't have any equipped with them on his lot.

We went to two dealers. One orderd dual air conditioners and single pane windows. The other orderd one air conditioner and thermopanes. Pretty obvious where we bought.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote