Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
Truck stop fueling

Just called the main offices of 3 of the major truck stops. Flying J, TA, and Pilot. They all told me that fueling on the truck side is fine with them. By the middle of this year all of the truck side pumps will have DEF. Tell the cashier that you are a private coach and they will give you the price at the pump that you would get on the auto side. Flying J also told me that we can use there truck wash for RVs now and they will discount the wash if you buy fuel from them.

Willy Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks for the info.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Charlie-- as you stated "By the middle of this year all of the truck side pumps will have DEF." They will have the pumps but I would not try filling your TV with those DEF pumps. They pump way to fast for our TVs to accept it! I've got a GM product and the filler is under the hood not beside the fuel filler port and I have problems filling with the 2 1/2 gallon jugs. The GM's don't allow the DEF to flow fast enough down the tube to the tank mainly because it does not have a large enough vent to let out the air from the tank you are filling. It will belch out if you do not watch what you are doing and it spatter all over the engine and then you have to rinse it off with water or it crystalizes on whatever it lands on!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Good info Charlie, but when it comes to DEF fluid I will continue to use the 2.5 gal jugs. Our Chevy is slow to fill and really considering the frequency that it has to be filled I find it just as easy to add fluid as part of my pre trip routine.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The only big rig company with whom I've had a problem is Loves. Wanted me to us an RV pump which would have resulted in me blocking the entire front of the store. I convinced them I should use the truck lanes.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Tom, maybe you should have blocked the entire store, maybe then they would get the point!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

The only big rig company with whom I've had a problem is Loves. Wanted me to us an RV pump which would have resulted in me blocking the entire front of the store. I convinced them I should use the truck lanes.
I have used many Loves at many different times. I always use the RV pumps in front of the building and never had a problem getting in/out or blocking anyone else.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:57 AM   #8
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
I used the Truck lanes for a while, but the pavement is always slimey and I have to go inside to deal with the fuel desk. And it is hard for me to get the flow right with those high flow rate nozzles. I don't like getting back in the truck covered with diesel. So my current process is to fill up my 37 gallon tank before hitching up and then driving only 350 miles.

Flying J/Pilot takes my RV Plus card at the RV or truck lane so I can make exceptions.

I also use the 2.5 gallon DEF boxes for convenience.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:37 AM   #9
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We use the Truck bays all the time, multiply the gallons used times the price per gal and go in and use credit card to purchase that amount of fuel, tell them you are private, and add a few dollars and ask for both tractor fuel and DEF you are good to top off both tanks. Seems to be working for us.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:41 AM   #10
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Charlie-- as you stated "By the middle of this year all of the truck side pumps will have DEF." They will have the pumps but I would not try filling your TV with those DEF pumps. They pump way to fast for our TVs to accept it! I've got a GM product and the filler is under the hood not beside the fuel filler port and I have problems filling with the 2 1/2 gallon jugs. The GM's don't allow the DEF to flow fast enough down the tube to the tank mainly because it does not have a large enough vent to let out the air from the tank you are filling. It will belch out if you do not watch what you are doing and it spatter all over the engine and then you have to rinse it off with water or it crystalizes on whatever it lands on!
Even with my DEF at the tank door for my Dodge, I have to pump slow also. Now at Pilot and TA, I have no problems with the DEF pump going slow enough to pump, At most of the Loves they seem to always give me a problem filling.
Willy Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Since we're on the topic of DEF and it's winter, be careful that you don't fill your DEF tank. DEF can and does freeze, and can split your tank if it's filled.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 AM   #12
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
When I had my first diesel TV I ran into an issue with the big nozzels. My '99 F-250 would not accept them so I had to use the auto fuel island. Well, with a 30+ fiver in tow I blocked four gasoline pumps at a fuel stop on the PA Pike. A motorist got so angry he called the police on me for "not using the big truck pumps". Too bad pal, complain to the turnpike commission, not me. The police agreed with me and told the guy to chill out or else.

But now I have a newer TV and can play with the big boys and away from the four wheelers.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:54 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the truck stops mainly FJ/Pilot/We use the RV plus card and it is pay at the pump. Some of the older pilot stations do not have pay at the pump but they are dwindling. We use mainly the truck lanes and have not had a problem. We do not use DEF and our truck does take the high flow nozzles with no problem. We find loves are the most RV unfriendly and try to avoid them if possible. The Rv lanes at most FJ's work well except for rude and uncaring Rv'ers. We find the big truck drivers at the truck pumps to be considerate and helpful. They always pull forward when finished fueling many Rv drivers do not at the RV pumps but usually only do it once at the big truck pumps.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote