Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2014, 04:34 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Night Time Security

Last summer in the Peoria Illinois area a group of bad guys started doing a series of armed home invasions. During the late evening hours they would enter a home, usually through an unlocked door, tie up the family, load valuables into the victims vehicle, and take off. Some of the homes were high end, some were not. They were finally caught. This same type of crime has recently started in the Naples and Fort Myers Florida area. I have tried to change my security habits in our Montana here in Fort Myers, even though this type of thing has not happen to an RVer yet in this area. I now try to remember to lock the door earlier in the evening, rather than just before we go to sleep. My guns are already located in good positions within the trailer so I didn't have to make any changes there. I watch closer in the evening for "out of place" individuals in the park. I tend to be more security minded when on the road but these recent incidents down here were a good reminder for me to "tighten things up" no matter where we are parked.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not much you can do other than being aware. We do lock up and have the porch light on and we have a light post out front. The C.G does have a guard gate and some security. Home invasions are fairly common in the Orlando, Fl area most of them drug related. We are at a distance from Orlando and there are plenty of drug on drug folks there so they do not need to travel 30 or 40 miles to find a victim.

We do have some on board deterrent that is always handy.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
This is one reason we added the motion detector porch light and will be adding motion detector scare lights.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
When we are in an area we are concerned about, I'll put one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/wireles...tem-93068.html pointing across the front door and keep the alarm by my bed. We, at all times, keep a 45 by each of our heads mounted on the wall in easy reach. If that alarm goes off you better not be in my door way. We've had lots of training so we'll look before we shoot, but not very long.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Alan (Alwims) you are probably going to be responsible for a big run on those sensors from Harbor Freight.

I wouldn't mind having a couple of those at our stick house because to enter our yard, law abiding people have to come in a gate located about 50' from our front door and it would be nice to have just a bit of notice. For the rest, we have the other surprise handy.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The driveway alarm works really well. We have them set up on the farm driveways(two- one coming in one way and another coming in from the other direction). The only problem we have with them is they are extremely sensitive. We have woke up with the alarm chirping at us in the middle of the night numerous times. I get up and check the driveways and the yard and nothing. Three minutes later the alarm goes off again. Again get up and see nothing. This time I wait and off the alarm goes off again. This time I look out the window looking at the main drive and there are 6 deer just strolling down the lane! They walked right through the place from one end of the farm place to the other. Shut off the receiver at that point and went back to bed to enjoy the rest of the night and a good nights sleep! I never thought about putting one by the door in the Monte but will have one to carry with us on the next trip, you can put money on that. The "Equalizer" is always next to me and the alarm will just give me a little extra response time!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Bad guys dislike light and sound. Motion detector lights are a great idea. Situational awareness is your friend.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

This is one reason we added the motion detector porch light and will be adding motion detector scare lights.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:12 AM   #8
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

Bad guys dislike light and sound. Motion detector lights are a great idea. Situational awareness is your friend.
Does muzzle flash and loud BOOM count.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:57 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You bet it does This issue is also one of the reasons we volunteer. So far every place we've gone in AZ we lock the gate at night and have a spot in one of the largest gated communities in AZ with very few neighbors.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #10
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Need to put Harbor Freight on my shopping list. Great idea. Thanks Jim
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
We live in Naples, FL and had two similar break-ins about two miles from our community. Now we are much more vigilant and I have firearms stationed in a couple of places. The alarm looks like a great idea. We never thought we would have this type of crime in southern Florida. We are both from the Detroit area and I feel we are about as vulnerable as being back in Detroit.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #12
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
My Bernese Mt Dog 155 lb puppy, can hear rat flatulents fifty feet away. So far anyone gets near Montana at night, must make it past him! Lol.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
My miniature Poodle, Chuck and I, make a good team, he usually gets them low, around the ankles, and I go high lol lol lol.......actually he is just a diversion till I can draw, and we ain't usin crayons.....lol lol lol......Chuck is special, was kicked in the head by his previous owner one too many times, so he thinks he's a Rottie.....lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:49 AM   #14
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
MY method of protection is the Barking Dog Alarm by Home Safe . Look it up its worth it.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:32 AM   #15
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Having a pistol of firearm with you is a great psychological builder upper especially for those who are not really trained in their use. It gives a false sense of
power and confidence. Prevention is a better policy. Preventing something from occurring before it does. To me having a dog is the biggest burglary deterrent going. If it barks it will cause alarm to those trying to gain entry (especially if it sounds like a Rottie and he just happens to be a one). If by some chance the bad guy(s) still decide to gain entry then the use of the sidearm (I prefer a 45 auto) would be called for. Make sure you know the law in reference to shooting someone. And if you do have to use deadly physical force to defend yourself or a third party - DON'T SHOOT THE DOG.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:55 AM   #16
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nowinter

We live in Naples, FL and had two similar break-ins about two miles from our community. Now we are much more vigilant and I have firearms stationed in a couple of places. The alarm looks like a great idea. We never thought we would have this type of crime in southern Florida. We are both from the Detroit area and I feel we are about as vulnerable as being back in Detroit.
What sets these crimes apart, just like the ones last year in Peoria, is that they are not drug houses or "thug on thug" crimes. The first victims in Peoria were a lawyer and his wife. Others were regular families with no real pattern. The first of the suspects are just starting to go on trial next week. Peoria had to form a Task Force which included the FBI to finally catch their idiots. I am sure this group is not done with SW Florida yet.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:25 AM   #17
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
"And if you do have to use deadly physical force to defend yourself or a third party - DON'T SHOOT THE DOG."

That's the good thing on having a miniature poodle, no danger of shooting it lol lol lol unless I want to take out the guys ankles lol lol lol

Only problem with him is as I said he is special so he does see or hear stuff that is not there and barks at it... but we love him lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:57 AM   #18
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Yappin Yorkies work pretty well. Motion light and barking dogs seem to keep bad guys at bay, Vietnam Veteran and NRA sticker also seem to help
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:45 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The professional thief will have no problem stealing your stuff. The crack head looking for drug money is the dangerous thief. He will injure or kill for 5 bucks and almost nothing will deter them. This Orlando, Fl area has a huge drug problem but it is "mostly" contained in the city as the crack heads know who the other crack heads and dealer are and there fore where the drugs are. Home invasions are common place. Just be always aware when you are out and about.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #20
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Muzzle blast and loud boom does count. Problem is police are attracted to them and that will ruin your trip. It's best to just let them take wont.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote