Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
BAKFlip HD

Are there any members here who have a BAK BAKFlip HD Tonneau cover on your truck? If so how do you like it? I have one being delivered tommorrow that I'm going to install on my truck. My son has the G2 version of this unit on his F-150 and really loves his. I was looking at the BAK RollBak unit but decided against it as it uses up too much bed space. I always carry a tool box in front of my Fifth Wheel and the cannister of the RollBak would prevent that.

Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I have one on my 2008 2500HD. Bought it used. Haven't had any issues with it until recently the latch screws on the last panel worked loose. Just moved the latch 1/2" and re-attached.
with all panels folded but one, the 5'ver still clears on turns. One regret I have is I can't close my tailgate with my quad loaded without removing the cover, which is literally two minutes tops. If you look closely at our signature pic you can see it folded.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I haul my Suzuki King Quad on a trailer behind my truck so that really isn't an issue for me. I just like the idea of enclosed storage for things I want to keep dry and secure.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
ExPatNW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10319
I have a BAKFlip tonneau on my Ford F350 (long bed) not sure its an HD or not. Its basically 4 sections. Works great for me - it is a little heavy to folder back. I don't believe it seals completely water tight - if the rain is heavy some water might get in - but certainly not as much as no cover at all! As for security, I like the fact that no one can see what you have in the bed, but in reality, if someone wants to get in under it I don't think it would be too hard.
ExPatNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
i have one on my 2005 Dodge the only thing that i do not like is that the black part has crack all over the place and the panels have started to sag i call the company great customer service they were going to cut me a great deal on a new one and they told me that they had some problems with the older one cracking up so i hope they fixed the problem but i love it when it was new
jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
The HD model is supposed to be aluminum on the top and the bottom of the panel. The original G2 is polymer on the top and aluminum on the bottom, I believe. The original is rated to support a 200# evenly supported load on top of it. The HD model is rated at 300#. It is also supposed to have better seals than the G2 model making it more water resistent. My son's G2 on his F-150 only leaks just a very little bit right at the tailgate. The company claims it is impossible to make one which is absolutely waterproof as a vacuum forms behind the truck when it is moving and they claim some water can come in through the cracks around the tailgate. That seems to make sense.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:34 AM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I like mine.The panels are aluminum on both sides of each panel. It went through a hail storm so it has hail dents on exposed surfaces. No problems with leaking, Pricey solution but mechanically it works well. I think you'll be glad you bought it. EZ to install.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
I've had the hd model on my Ram since new, 2 years. No issues. Would like to see a lock down for having 3 sections folded while we're pulling. I just use bungy(sp?) cords tho. I would buy it again.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I installed it today. There is an extra bonus in that it gives better access to washing the top of my truck than I have ever had. I agree about the wish there was a lock down at that position but the bungee should work just fine. I also provides a very nice bench for sitting in the back of the truck.