Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Colden
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4400
isability access

After sufffwering strok late last I'm wndering ig anyone hs had any experirce siyying theit anperfor dis abi usage,. DH SAY S TH DOOR IS TOO NRRO FOR A WGEELCHAIR . NO SURE YRT III'LL B DISHARGEDW/ A WALKER OT A WHEELCHAIR. LOOKIN NOWE AS CAMPING SEASON INWNY GRNERALLY STARTS

MY1ST

Colden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The minimum recommendations for a door width to accomodate a wheel chair is 32 inches or 36 inches if a turn is needed. I've also read that a wheelchair's width is between 24 and 27 inches at the wheels, but one would have to worry about hub clearance, hand clearance therefore extra inches for the doorway are needed.

The Montana doors are less than what's recommended. I just measured my '06 3500RL Montana and the widest door distance is 28 inches because of the lip that the door closes against and 29.5 inches without the lip. The other problem is there are also two steps into the rig that will need a steep ramp. Their are rigs where the exterior stairs lead right up to the door and there is no drop down in the entryway but I don't know if your rig is set up this way.

I have seen 5ers with ramps leading up to the door, however I don't know the details of how they solved their accessibility problem of if and how the door was changed.

I did a quick internet search and found this link: http://www.rvlifemag.com/file346/allaccess346.html

In the middle of that page there is a statement in bold "For more information on making your RV wheelchair-accessible, contact the Handicapped Travel Club at 714-524-2700 or visit www.handicappedtravelclub.com". This link has much more information including "Links" to other websites with more information.

The point is that there can be many ways to answer your questions for preparing your Monty permanently or temporarily. I hope you let us know what you decide, whatever it is.

God Bless you, we wish you a speedy recovery and may your future travels be the best!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would like to wish you a fast and full recovery so you won't
need either, but for a very short time.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
We were at a rv show in Toledo OH over the weekend and a company called Surry had a trailer that was handycap accessible, It had a fold down ramp and wider doors and a handycap accessible shower,the one at the show was a travel trailer not sure if they are avalible in a fifth wheel or not.I believe the dealer was Walters camper sales in Toledo.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I've done a bunch of ada/handicap accessible stuff, just not in an RV. Your from Colden ? My new house is over by letchworth state park, and I take possession end of april...you ain't far. I've got a month's worth of work to do immediately on the house/property, but after that if you need a 36" entry and some other stuff, you give me a holler. Heck, if I catch a break, it'll be sooner. I get a chance, I'll start doing some research....installing a 36" door is certainly doable, I'm more concerned about a ramp with a reasonable incline. We'll figure it out and get it done, if you want. No dang reason you can't be "out here" with the rest of us.
Up to you, just say the word.
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
BTW, off the top of my head I would say a chairlift maybe the way to go...at least as a starting point.
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote