Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2004, 09:06 AM   #1
Montana_1603
Established Member

M.O.C. #1603
Montana models

Can anyone tell me if the 3400RL, 3650RK or the 3685FL was offered prior to 2004 and 2005? One other thing, I have noticed that the retail price for a Montana varies drastically across the US. Is there anyother reason except maybe taxes and shipping? I see the hitch weight is listed at 1770 lbs on the 3400RL. What can I expect to have as a loaded weight (nimus liquids)total and what kind of hitch weight might that be? I realize that a lot depends on how you balance out the rig. I have heard that it should be 20% of the total rig weight. Any comments. Still looking for the rig that make my wife happy and still meets our needs. Thanks, Utah Man.

Montana_1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:21 AM   #2
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Forget MSRP. With the options I got (the three Montana main packages and a few add-ons like central vacuming, etc.) I was quoted 53,000. I paid 41,000. Also, someone either on this list or rvnet had a 3400 and weighed it. It was very close to the actual pin weight but, of course, when you load it up it will be heavier. There's also some advice somewhere here about counter balancing the back so the weight pulls more to the rear. Your overall weight will increase. As for me, I am picking up my 2005 3400RL on Saturday. My truck just came in yesterday and I'm running around like a fool trying to put 500 miles on it before I tow in a few days.

Wayne

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dlott84040

Can anyone tell me if the 3400RL, 3650RK or the 3685FL was offered prior to 2004 and 2005? One other thing, I have noticed that the retail price for a Montana varies drastically across the US. Is there anyother reason except maybe taxes and shipping? I see the hitch weight is listed at 1770 lbs on the 3400RL. What can I expect to have as a loaded weight (nimus liquids)total and what kind of hitch weight might that be? I realize that a lot depends on how you balance out the rig. I have heard that it should be 20% of the total rig weight. Any comments. Still looking for the rig that make my wife happy and still meets our needs. Thanks, Utah Man.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
All three of those models were brand new floorplans for 2004. The 3685FL has a predecessor model, though - the 3655FL. The other two are totally new.

One of our members with the 3400RL had his unit weighed and reported his actual pinweight is very close to the published 1770 lbs. Most models we find have actual pinweight somewhat to considerably higher than the brochure published weights. Normally you'll find pinweight between 20 and 25% of total actual weight.

As for what to expect in total weight, I'd start with the unloaded vehicle weight in the brochure. Add for battery and propane bottles plus any options and gear you add. As an example, the UVW in the brochure for our 3295RK says 10360 lbs. With options it was shipped at 10760 lbs. That's the UVW on the sticker inside a kitchen cupboard door. Add battery, propane, gear, and full freshwater tank, all set for weekends and vacations, actual weight was 12,500. Once loaded for fulltiming it gained a bit of weight above that, at 13,980 lbs., with full freshwater tank. We've since offloaded some things we really don't need but I've not weighed it again.

Prices do seem to vary considerably among dealers. Makes me think dealers have some leeway on setting msrp but I don't know that for fact. A little shopping around and/or emailing to dealers can pay big dividends. A couple of years ago I saw a brand new well-optioned 2880RL go on ebay for about $27k, list price over 40k. I emailed the buyer and asked about it. He said it was exactly as listed on ebay and he was very happy with it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 04:33 AM   #4
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We bought our 3685FL back in Nov 03 in Kansas and the list price was 51, and the dealer quickly came to 41, and I have seen them on the web in east for 37, so I do beleave the dealer has some bargianing power.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 06:09 AM   #5
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
The 3685FL is an 04 lineup. It was the 3655 in 03. They changed a few things such a adding a second slide in the livingroom and put a second door in the bedroom area so you could access the restroom without having to open the slide while on the road.

We ordered ours in Manassas VA from Reines RV for $38,800. That included the Value Package, Moving to Montana Package, Customer Convenience Group, Exterior shower, Aluminum Wheels, Dual Pane Deep Tint Safety Glass Windows, Slide Awnings, Day / Night Shades, Free Standing dinette with 4 chairs, Sofa Table, 15,000 BTU A/C with quick Cool, Wire and Frame for 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fan (Livingroom), 10 Gal. Hot Water Heater, Washer / Dryer Prep, Artic Insulation Package and by accident they sent it with a Fireplace worth $1,295.00 that we didn't want but of course we accepted. That also included a Reese 16K hitch. With everything we ordered the dry weight is 11,360.

We really like the floor plan. I didn't want something that everyone else had, so when they came out with the front livingroom I was immediately attracted.

Hope this gives you an idea of the cost. They had one at the show in January that they were asking $44K for and didn't have as much on it as the one we bought. I found a unit in South Carolina and brought the deal to my closest dealer to see if they would match it. They came within $500. I figured that was worth the 500 mile trip it would have taken to get the one in SC. Find your best deal online and take it to your dealer to see if they will match it. It worked for me!

Happy Campin

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote