Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Maps.. What do I do?

I use the State and Province Maps in my signature and now have a dilemma that I'm not sure how to handle.

I have three states and 2 provinces that we did not stay overnight at with our 2005 Montana but have stayed in other RV's. Now we have the Big Sky and there is no way we can start the maps all over again.

1- Should we continue to fill the map in when we stay in the Big Sky and consider it as places we have stayed since full-timing?

2- Should we fill them all in as places we have stayed in an RV?

3- Should we take the maps out of our signature?

Let's hope all of our problems are this small.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Helen, Look out for the "State Map Police". We use the maps to show what states and provinces we have camped in at one time or another. This way we can tell where we have been and where we have yet to be. Many folks have different criteria for filling in the maps, I have even heard of "lovemaking" being a criteria. Different things for different folks....I just want to keep track of where I have been. Some use "Camped in", "Been in" or walked in. I think the bottom line is what you feel comfortable with. After all, there is no prize for having been in the most, other than the thrill of seeing this great country of ours!!!! If this was the only dilemna I face on the road as long as you guys have been travelling, I will condsider myself very lucky.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:43 AM   #3
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Helen, Hopefully this will be the smallest problem you encounter during your travels with the Big Sky. I think this is a simple problem with a simple solution. It's your signature, it's your Big Sky, and it's your life's adventure. Do what you want, it's your map.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:09 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Helen,
The above posts are right on. It is what you mean it to be. When someone asks, you can say, "It is the states we have been in," or "It is the states we have camped in." Or, "It is the states we have (fill in the blank). It is entirely your decision. I'm with you. I can not re-fill my map, but I can say they are the ones we have been in.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:50 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Helen
I agree with the others, it is yours. We use a little different criteria. If Monty has been in a state, he gets credit for it whether we spent the night or not.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use the same method as Sue. If the coach and truck went through, the map gets credit.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Helen,
You do what YOU want to do. There is no right or wrong way to display the map. Some people post a state on their map if they pass through it. Some include states on their map that they passed through with SOB RV. Some display states that they only sleep in. (That happens to be what we do.) Again, do with it what you want it to depict. You are the one who knows. And, when someone asks you what the meaning of the map is, then you can have a talking piece, something with which you can describe your travels and what the map means to YOU!!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:25 AM   #8
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
When we first started out, ours was for the states we wanted to visit (all blank); since those plans got put on hold we use those we have visited sites (sight-seeing, camping, football games). Basically, ours is still the same overall goal --if it is blank, it is still our desire to visit and see something in that state.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Helen, those maps are for however you want to use them. If you want to make sure it's clear, why not just put a label on it that says something about places we've stayed at least one night in our rv life? Mine is similar to that but for our fulltiming life. But then I use the automatic map maker, then copy the map and post it on photobucket and link to that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I think everyone has said it all Helen, it's your map and your rules.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:34 AM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks everyone. Well since we have slept in an RV in every state except Hawaii (too expensive to take with us) and every Province in Canada and have traveled into Mexico as far as we care to go, I think I will just remove the maps from my signature.

How lucky we have been. It sure is a beautiful world.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:46 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If we are in a State and there is a camper following along behind us then we haved "camped" in that State.Why would we be dragging along a camper if we were not camping. What difference what brand camper. Camping is camping. We have certainly stopped in every state listed on our map and stayed over in 99% of them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote