Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Service in the Phoenix Area

While in Surprise Az. recently we needed to have a new hitch installed in a new truck on very short notice. Van's RV in Surprise went out of their way to accommodate our needs. They switched some existing appointments to get us in and on the road. Very professional in all ways and also very reasonable in their prices. I guess that is why they have been in business for 57 years.
We also learned while in the Phoenix area that they are close to leading the nation in truck theft. According to the Peoria Az. Police Dept, Fords seem to be their truck of choice.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Jim,
Good to know there are still some good service departments around. Anywhere near the boarder you need to secure your truck, especially if it's a 4X4. They are great for hauling grass clipings across the Rio Grande.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Jerry,
I learned you need to do more than just lock them and have all valuables out of sight. I'll have an alarm installed on the new vehicle that makes a lot of noise and activate a kill switch. I heard the chipped key discourages the thiefs but it probably won't take long until they figure that one out. What have others found that discourages thiefs?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:17 AM   #4
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
My 2005 Ford F250 CC, Diesel, was stolen when it was 6 mos. old. They found it outside of Bisbee, AZ. The police told me that CC heavy duty trucks are the favorite. I installed an alarm system by Scytek Electronics called VisionGuard 8000. It has the following features: Motion alarm, glass alarm, power intercept alarm, inside camera that takes pictures of everything inside the truck and sends them to my key fob, when the alarm goes off all power is cut. The alarm horn is a 120 DB with its own power source, it takes a separate key to turn it off. We put it in a place that you can get to with a key but nothing else. This is in addition to the horn blaring and the lights flashing both inside the vehicle and outside. Still if someone wants it bad enough they will steal it. But for only $300 (my son is an installer so no cost and I bought it at wholesale), I have a little more peace of mind.

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Thanks Alan, I'll keep the system you mentioned in mind when I start looking.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Jim,
When were in South Texas, near the boarder I purchased a steering wheel lock to use every time we parked it. Alan's alarm sounds like it should discourage most truck boosters. When you say "all power is cut" does it shut off a diesel engine?
Jerry
Old 04-16-2009, 05:04 AM   #7
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
It kills all power from the batteries to the engine which does not allow the spark (not sure of correct name) that the engine requires in order to feed the fuel injectors. If you could stand the flashing lights and alarm, I guess you could tow it alway but I think people would look at you funny. In the mean time I would be forwarding your picture to the police via my web site. I am thinking of adding a GPS tracking device so I know where the truck is at all times.

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:21 AM   #8
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Alan,
That's a great system, if the thief can't drive it your can be 99% sure it won't be stolen.
Happy Camping,
Jerry