Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
heads up on diesel fuel

Had a school bus charter yesterday and filled up with diesel upon my return(46 gals@ 2.859 per gal) We use a speedway fleet card so we fill at speedway stations. As I was fueling I smelled that nasty diesel fuel smell(can't stand that smell) then I thought ..wait a min why am I smelling Diesel fuel the new stuff does not smell bad..welll.... I then noticed a sticker on the pump that said as of Aug 1st we are changing from ULSD to LSD..so they changed from the new stuff back to the old stuff and I have fueled at that station before and they had the new stuff.. anyone notice that??? it is not a good thing as folks who have been fueling at that station would not think they had changed???

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
That wounldn't be good if you had the 08 model.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Doesn't make sense to go backwards unless they happened to get a bulk fuel drop from overseas. ??????
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That better be a REAL BIG sticker on that pump...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
RICHFAA I thought you were retired, What the heck are you doing driving a school bus???????????????????????????
Lake Havasu is waiting for you.... Oh they are holding a auxillary fuel tank for you there.. all you have to do it make it back...ha ha ha. I don't know what HELEN ever see in you??????????????????????????????????
Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:28 AM   #6
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I stopped at a 66 in Kingdom City, MO a couple of weeks ago. The sticker on the pump said ULSD so I proceded to put the hose in the tank. There was a problem with the credit card reader so as I am walking up to the door I see a piece of notebook paper taped to the door that says we sell LSD. Thank goodness for technology or I would have filled up my truck with LSD and gone merilly down the highway. For how long nobody knows. When is it that all stations will be required to sell USLD?
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It was not a real big sticker and I only began looking around after I smelled the old diesel..Yea John..I drive schoold bus and charter bus to help pay for our great adventure..It already paid for the Ford and the Montana.We have done 3 trips thus far and have 7 more scheduled through mid September..That will cover fuel cost and a bit more.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:40 AM   #8
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ULSD a federally mandated fuel. I didn't know there was an option?
Sorry Rich, but I have never been able to not smell that nasty diesel smell, I guess it's because I drive one all the time. It all smells bad to me.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:14 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The mandate is that 80% of the diesel fuel produced for highway use must be ULSD. There is no mandate for retailers to sell ULSD other than the they might not be able to get enough LSD. I think it's sometime in 2010 when 100% must be ULSD for highway use.

So far we've only seen two stations without ULSD in 3600 miles of towing with this truck. But what I read above concerns me. I would think a station with mislabeled pumps would hold some liability.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:30 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I stopped at a Quick Trip, a local 7-11 type, they had 2' round Yellow signs on the pumps and a 3' rectangle sign you could see from a block away. They are doing a good job of posting (LSD)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:09 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Oh man - glad my truck is Bi. I have a hard enough time just making sure I put diesel in and not gasoline. Still have to pause and think about Diesel #1, Diesel #2, Red Dye......... jeez-zoots I'm going to an electric .

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The smell of kerosene has always made me ill. Had to bid out of Cleveland Tower because the smell of fuel made me sick...One of those things I guess.. The new stuff, for whatever reason, does not bother me. We also thought the new stuff was mandated but apparently not as this station had switched to the new stuff and now has switched back..Pay attention at the pumps....The diesel pumps were marked with the yellow stickers but they were not very big.It was only the smell that told me that something had changed.. only then did I notice the yellow stickers.Makes no difference to our busses as the newest one is a 2004..but the smell is not a good thing for me...
Old 08-18-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I stopped at one station about 6 months ago that had both LSD and ULSD stickers on the pump. I asked why and they said they wanted to be sure that they had the right stickers on the pump.

Good luck to 08 owners.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:28 AM   #14
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
On our recent trip to Maryland we were sure glad we had added an additional fuel tank to our TV. We really had trouble finding ULSD. We started looking when we still had about 200 miles to go and drove in and out of 7 different places (anyplace listing diesel)before we finally found one with ULSD. We had about 30 miles left to go before we finally found one. After that, everytime we were unhitched we started looking and filled up no matter how much we had in the tank. In the DC area we went to 11 stations (that had diesel at all) before we found ULSD at 3.159. There is only one place near home that isn't ULSD, so we thought on major freeways we would have no problem, we were wrong. Sue and Verle C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:54 PM   #15
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I noticed last Thursday night when I filled up at my always lowest prece RACECO that there is a white sticker about 6x10 on the pump indicating the fuel was LSD and not ULSD. Not sure if it has always been there or not but I was there last thursday.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:03 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As I mentioned before we've not had trouble finding ULSD except at two stations. However, I'm not yet comfortable that that will always be the case. We don't have room for a big inbed tank so I carry five gallons of ulsd in the toolbox in the bed of the truck. For those who do not want a big extra tank for whatever reason I'd suggest getting a five gallon "can." The plastic can is available at Walmart and is marked "diesel."
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote