Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
hootowl

M.O.C. #7388
New Guy

Hello:
Just joined and although I don't have a Montana, I was hoping to learn some stuff by hanging around for awhile and reading about your rigs. I am (or soon will be) in the market for a new RV and intend to buy a 5er. I have been told from several sources that the Montana is one of the top of the line. Hard to argue based on what I've seen to this point. My biggest concerns of course are pin weights due to the fact I have a 3/4 ton pickup. I know that limits me, but I've seen a lot of like models out there pulling Montanas with triple slides etc. I've actually talked to a couple who have said, "Hey, no problem", but I'm kinda square and like to pay attention to the specs. So, anyway, I am here with much knowledge to gain and nothin' but time........
Dave

hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the MOC. You're in the right place to learn about Montanas. You won't get agreement on the tow vehicles though. Search some of the former threads to get a wide and sometimes heated discussion of the TV issue. I personally think that would be better than rehashing old arguments again.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I agree with Stiles. Search, using the search feature in the upper right corner of the blue page, looking for "weight", "tow", or "truck" and you'll find days of reading to consume so you can make your own informed decision.
I'm researching just like you and have read most, if not all, of the above topics. Many different opinions appear along with some facts, so you probably have to read them all to get informed.
Good luck with your choice.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave - Welcome to the forum!

This is a great place to learn. Sit back, open your mind and listen in. Sift through the info and make your own decisions using sound judgment.

What I have learned about the forum:
  • Every single member has the ideal setup and perfect tow vehicle
  • Every single member that has spent money for an add-on has made the right decision and couldn't ever live without it again
  • Every single member is actually listening more than they let on through this forum and eventually do the right thing
I came into the Forum pulling a full size boat behind the Monty - and I was perfectly justified and correct in doing it because I could see others doing it out there. I even had some support and allegiance through the Forum itself. Once I learned a little more through the knowledge base available in this forum, I was able to make a little more informed decisions and better choices.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard.

Pinweights in the brochure are usually quite a bit less than what you'll see when the rig is loaded. If you want a tow vehicle that has ratings that cover the pinweight you'll probably need to go with a dually. Or maybe the 2008 Ford F350 single rear wheel if you don't want a dually. I see some of those Fords have GVWR up to 11,400 lbs.

If you want to tow it with your 2500 as many are doing, it's very possible you will see some squat of the rear end. To rectify that, many use airbags or other rear suspension augmentation. Those additions will not change the numbers on the specs but will give you additional support on the rear. Some of us have researched and found that on the Ford the difference between the newer (1999 and later is all I'm familiar with) 3/4 and 1 tons is the 1 ton has an extra leaf in the rear springs. The airbags compensate for that. However, you still have a potential issue with being over the ratings on the axle and/or tires. You will have to figure for yourself whether you will have that situation.

You already said you would like "to pay attention to the specs." In that case, your 2500 will not meet those specs on most, perhaps all, Montana fifthwheels. One of the choices in the first paragraph would be your best bet in this case. In my opinion, anyhow.

Until recently I towed our 3400RL with a 2005 Ford F250 with the airbags. We put 85,000 miles on that truck, about 30k to 35k of that towing the Montana with nary a problem that could even remotely be related to weight. Even the tires wore evenly until swapped out at 70k miles. BUT, I was over the GVWR rating on that truck although I feel the airbags gave it the same capability as the F350 of that year. I'm now towing with a one ton Dodge single rear wheel but I'm over the GVWR on it, too. But no squat since it has the extra leaf in the springs.

Bottom line is you should do what makes you comfortable.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote