Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #41
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
My truck, a '05 F-350 is currently at a Ford dealership for 2 oil leaks. Supposedly it will be ready tomorrow. If I saw my truck on you-tube, being mis-used like that, I'd do every thing that I could to have Ford either replace the entire truck, or at the very least replace the engine.Rapping that engine up, with a defective injector, has to do damage in the engine.
I know Ford is taking a hit because of the video. I really hope that this is not a common problem. Like stated before, I'm worried about all the new engines. They say service of the emissions unit only take about 15 min, haven't heard what the cost is yet. Bill

Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #42
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, in theory you should have to replace the dpf about the same time you'd replace a catalytic converter. The regeneration process where it heats up the dpf is to burn off the residue or whatever and renew the dpf.

What worries me is all mfrs are using this same concept. I don't know if this is a short term process or if it will be around for a long time, like the catalytic converter. It worries me because I'd planned on trading trucks this summer.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #43
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
The issue is excessive heat. Regeneration requires elevated exhaust temperatures however certain malfunctions not related to the process can elevate these temperatures beyond control. If this condition exists and an uncontrolled fuel source like a severe injector malfunction or a turbo failure that allows oil and or fuel into the exhaust, the potential for fire exists. My guess on the calibration fix would be to disable regeneration if exhaust temperatures exceed a determined temperature or a fuel system malfunction is detected, and or, lower exhaust temps by de-rating engine power while the condition(s) exist. Mind you , this is my guess, there has not been an official explanation on this that I have read as of yet.

--------------------

Ford Master Diesel Technician
Diesel Technician Society

This is one of the posts from the FTE forum and I think this guy knows his stuff.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #44
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

The issue is excessive heat. Regeneration requires elevated exhaust temperatures however certain malfunctions not related to the process can elevate these temperatures beyond control. If this condition exists and an uncontrolled fuel source like a severe injector malfunction or a turbo failure that allows oil and or fuel into the exhaust, the potential for fire exists. My guess on the calibration fix would be to disable regeneration if exhaust temperatures exceed a determined temperature or a fuel system malfunction is detected, and or, lower exhaust temps by de-rating engine power while the condition(s) exist. Mind you , this is my guess, there has not been an official explanation on this that I have read as of yet.

--------------------

Ford Master Diesel Technician
Diesel Technician Society

This is one of the posts from the FTE forum and I think this guy knows his stuff.
The "uncontrolled fuel source" makes sense. In a previous life, in a small South American country to which Uncle Sam had sent me, I had an occasion to start a Huey in a big hurry, and forgot to turn on the ignitors. I realized what I had not done, kept squeezing the starter trigger, and turned on the ignitors. The other crew said it looked like we were going to blast off due to the huge fire ball coming out the tail pipe due to all the raw jet fuel that was just dumped in the engine. Must have looked just like that Ford truck, except a bit larger.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote