Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2007, 02:41 AM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The Plot Thickens

FRANKFURT, Germany - DaimlerChrysler shares edged higher Monday on a news report that the automaker was considering taking a stake in General Motors Corp. in exchange for its struggling Chrysler unit. ----MSN---today

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:32 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would not be a bit surprised if that should happen . The US auto industry is on its death bed. They have to grasp at any straw in a attempt to survive.IMO it is way to late. The perception that foreign auto's are better (and I do not believe that is true any longer) goes back many years when foreign auto's were of higher quality and we refused to adapt till it was too late. Consumers have a long memory..The same thing is occuring in the RV industry..What a shame.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I agree with you Rich. Our country's industrial bse is just about gone. We outsource everything, inclding our population! The country has become a nation of consumers, not producers. I don't see a turnaround during my lifetime either.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I agree with Rich with the exception of one statement - vehicles MADE in japan (have a J as first letter of VIN) are significantly less likely to require repair than those made by the same company but in their other, 'american' plants. (Not just USA but also Canadian and Mexico facilities). Consumer reports and Toyota, Honda, and Nissan web sites (annual reports for the 1st two) reflect the same trends. I'm showing my age (and past career) here I guess but I don't believe in doing a job half way or incorrectly if I know how to do it properly. However, case studies now coming into the University areas for the business, management, and even education colleges all reflect a lack of worker 'work ethic', a desire to do the right thing vs. the easy thing, etc.... Had a grad student turn in a paper quoting a worker at the GM plant he surveyed who said (wrote) 'if it will roll out the door, it is good enough!'. I think that pretty well sums up a lot of our industry today. Sad
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
"Short of Daimler paying GM to take Chrysler off its hands, I don't see where this makes any sense,"(Kevin Tynan, 2007)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
One of the main sticking with any combining of Chrysler with GM is that GM does NOT under any circumstances want another financial entity (that is attached to Chrysler). Industry analysts point out that GM just got rid of GMAC. They don't think Hades is going to freeze over soon, as far as GM is concerned regarding picking up another financial services company. Just what I heard...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
The Union Deadbeat is often the cause of North America's big industy problems. I don't believe a useless worker is protected in Japan, but on this side of the pond, in a strong union shop, the UD has tenure and we have cases where a special job must be made for the UD so he does not wreck too much equipment............ a sad state of affairs.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Who knows what under the table dealings are going on. I heard a report on CNBC that China is a very strong prospect for marketing the Chrysler products.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:33 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I don't believe China has any UDs either, so this might be economically feasible.

Just a matter of time before they get into the RV market. Actually, its a matter of time before they get into every market.

Stabilizes the world... China as a #1 producer, US as a #1 consumer. Can't start a war with each other or they cut each other's throat...

Just a thought... 50 years from now it might reverse? Might make for a great futuristic Sci-Fi movie plot. But I digress...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote